What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kearney

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Things can only get better.

No, we could finish 15th or even 16th next year.

Glad you are starting to see the light.

The light I'm seeing is how much Kearney has improved the squad for next year. That's why I think we'll go well.

That's why any coach does well.

We had a poor roster this year, hence we finished third last. That's why most coaches do poorly. Notice Bennett refuses to go to a team with a weak squad? Because he knows he can't do anything with them.

Des Hasler also ran third last in his first season coaching Manly. Maybe they should have f**ked him off?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No. And they shouldn't have made excuses for him either. And they didn't.

I think you'll find they did mate. He had a shit squad that he didn't put together. People who know about footy know you don't judge a coach by his first season at a struggling club.

Season two is where he shows what he's done with the team. Des finished 8th and got belted 46-22 at Parra Stadium in the first week of the finals.

How do you reckon Kearney will go?

Parra

Referee
I think you'll find they did mate. He had a shit squad that he didn't put together. People who know about footy know you don't judge a coach by his first season at a struggling club.

Then stick the false praise. No-one made excuses for Hasler. Shut up and wait. Painting Kearney & Osborne as some sort of saviors is wrong. So far, the results are complete crap. Too soon too sack, but way too soon to praise. Patience.

I'm banking on Kearney and the Eels going well. A hell of a lot depends on Sandow. Kearney is an unknown.

Parra

Referee
Does someone have Wayne Bennett's stats on his 1st 5 seasons as a coach?

if only we signed Wayne Bennett. But we didn't. Why the hell should the Eels be an experiment like the Broncos when they were allowed to play in NSW?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Then stick the false praise.

What false praise? I'm happy with what I've seen of Kearney.

I like the way he started changing the culture by getting rid of Grothe and Tahu, I like how he's developed our youngsters, I like how he got the best from a poor team nearly every week, I like how he used the interchange bench to get a career best season out of a 32 year old Fui.

I also think his recruiting (both players and staff) has been top notch, and I love his focus on juniors. I also like how he handles the media - win, lose or draw. Even if he does have a couple of speech quirks.

No-one made excuses for Hasler.

Of course they did. You really think the Manly board was concerned after Hasler's first season in charge?

I bet plenty of their idiot fans were though. Just like plenty of ours are now.

Shut up and wait.

No you shut up! :shock:

Painting Kearney & Osborne as some sort of saviors is wrong.

Get the f**k out of here. Osborne was in a job that really doesn't matter now that Kearney's coach and Nolan's on the team.

As far as Kearney goes, even if he f**ks up this year and gets the arse, the squad will be strong for a couple of years with the recruiting and development work he's already done.

Kearney's already done more to improve the Eels than anyone since Brian Smith.

So far, the results are complete crap.

And whose fault is that?

Kearney took over a club roster that had been destroyed by years of mismanagement and neglect. 2011 was the manifestation of that.

Too soon too sack, but way too soon to praise. Patience.

Umm no, we can already praise all the good things he's done. I listed them for you above.

Last edited:

mickdo

Coach
Does someone have Wayne Bennett's stats on his 1st 5 seasons as a coach?

In first grade?

He was co-coach with Furner in his first season when the Raiders came 3rd and made the GF. Then four seasons with the Broncos they finished 7th twice, 6th and 2nd but no GF appearances (were back-to-back Premiers straight after that though).

bartman

Immortal
I like how he used the interchange bench to get a career best season out of a 32 year old Fui.
Really? What about his dubious under-use of the bench (one player for 10minutes) that may have cost us at the back end of tight games?

I think Kearney has some way to go personally. And yes, I do hope he gets there.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Really? What about his dubious under-use of the bench (one player for 10minutes) that may have cost us at the back end of tight games?

I doubt it cost us in those games. We didn't lose because we were tired, we lost because we couldn't match teams for speed on the edges. Even when teams kicked 85th minute field goals against us we still had half the team trying to charge it down.

Those 10 minute stints were usually to give a young player some game time, in a match where it wasn't really an appropriate time.

Example - Pat O'Hanlon was mostly to blame for our loss to the Broncos at home. He shouldn't have been on the field in that situation if he didn't know he had to work hard to help his outside defender (Casey McGuire). Kearney's fault? Absolutely. But it wasn't his use of the interchange; it was his confidence in a young player who was untested in a tight NRL-level contest.

Anyway, he might have cost us that game but he'll be better for the experience, and who knows how many games Pat O'Hanlon will win us in the future? It's great that Kearney is willing to take a risk on a young player, and as we know, sometimes risks don't pay off.

Remember, just because a player is fresh doesn't mean he'll do a better job than a superior player who has played the whole game. Even at Origin level players have played 10 minutes or less. I'd say if a player gets less than 20 minutes he was probably only there in case of emergency. And Kearney's not the only coach who does that. The Tigers halves and hooker all play 80 minutes so Sheens carries an extra outside back on the bench.

There's no rule saying you have to follow the vanilla setup of 1 x 40 minute hooker, 2 x 40 minute props and 1 x 40-60 minute back-rower on your bench. There are plenty of situations where you don't need to structure your bench that way, including if you have less than 17 NRL standard players available on match day. Like what happened to us this year.

bartman

Immortal
I don't care whether he sticks to a vanilla use of the bench or not... the fault lies in sticking to a structured approach to interchange and being unable to tweak it properly to suit the circumstances of a game as it unfolds.

I just don't want to have a second season running where I and various others are left face-palming in the grandstands at the interchange choices made during particular matches...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't care whether he sticks to a vanilla use of the bench or not... the fault lies in sticking to a structured approach to interchange and being unable to tweak it properly to suit the circumstances of a game as it unfolds.

Like all coaches he goes into games with an interchange plan, but he certainly does alter it to suit the game. Case in point - some weeks Hindy needed a rest but most weeks he didn't. Early in the season when both hookers were available he used them roughly 40-40 but later on (when McGuire was playing in the halves) he used Keating for 80 minutes.

Anthony Mitchell got limited game time (and then released) because he's an unreliable defender.

On top of that, certain youngsters were eased into games with limited minutes to show what they could do. A couple weren't seen again this year (Rogers, Mitchell, Paulo) while a couple had their contracts extended (Allgood, O'Hanlon).

I just don't want to have a second season running where I and various others are left face-palming in the grandstands at the interchange choices made during particular matches...

Do you think it's possible that a bunch of slobs in the stands know more about use of the interchange than a bloke who has been involved in coaching for the past five years?

bartman

Immortal
Like all coaches he goes into games with an interchange plan, but he certainly does alter it to suit the game. Case in point - some weeks Hindy needed a rest but most weeks he didn't.
In those weeks he tended to give Hindy the rest at the end, just when the opposition were clawing back for the wins and we really needed him. As opposed to giving him the break in the middle, and giving the 10 minute guys an extra 10 mins to keep Hindy fresh for the end.

Early in the season when both hookers were available he used them roughly 40-40 but later on (when McGuire was playing in the halves) he used Keating for 80 minutes.
That's not altering your interchange plan to suit the conditions of a game week to week, that's just changing your team selection based on injury.

On top of that, certain youngsters were eased into games with limited minutes to show what they could do. A couple weren't seen again this year (Rogers, Mitchell, Paulo) while a couple had their contracts extended (Allgood, O'Hanlon).
Allgood was hardly eased in on limited minutes, he was an equal part of our front row mix this year?

Do you think it's possible that a bunch of slobs in the stands know more about use of the interchange than a bloke who has been involved in coaching for the past five years?
Yes, it is entirely possible. But imo it wouldn't fit with your confessed philosophy of simply respecting a person's authority due to their mere appointment to a particular position, rather than their performance when in it.

half

Coach
do you think you could commentate better than laurie daley?
do you think you could host a better tv show than fatty vautin?
do you think you could answer questions better than wayne bennett?
do you think you could stay out of trouble better than todd carney?
do you think you could video referee better than ____?
do you think you could purchase goods better than paul osbourne?
do you think you could kick better than ben kusto?
also, did you think before posting that question?

bartman

Immortal
Maybe I just should have left it as...
Yes.

Michael-Hagan-6310011.jpg

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
In those weeks he tended to give Hindy the rest at the end, just when the opposition were clawing back for the wins and we really needed him. As opposed to giving him the break in the middle, and giving the 10 minute guys an extra 10 mins to keep Hindy fresh for the end.

To give Hindy a rest at the end uses one interchange. To rest him for ten minutes in the middle uses two. A bit of a waste don't you think?

As for Hindy being off when we lost - he was also on the field for plenty of those late losses. It's hardly what cost us.

That's not altering your interchange plan to suit the conditions of a game week to week, that's just changing your team selection based on injury.

It's a change to the interchange plan that you said Kearney was incapable of. Where he showed in the first couple of rounds that he wanted to use two dummy-halves, he later adapted and played Keating for 80 minutes, even though there were other dummy-half options at Wenty.

Allgood was hardly eased in on limited minutes, he was an equal part of our front row mix this year?

True. He was a real find by Kearney. He developed well throughout the year.

Yes, it is entirely possible. But imo it wouldn't fit with your confessed philosophy of simply respecting a person's authority due to their mere appointment to a particular position, rather than their performance when in it.

No, my point is he has been involved with professional coaching for over five years now. These guys get paid to analyse the plans of other coaches and come up with plans of their own. They're far more aware of the body of coaching knowledge out there than you or I. These coaches learn from other coaches, they learn from their senior players, they learn from players that join from other clubs. They have far better access to the nuts and guts of coaching philosophy.

We've only got the snippets we get from media commentators, and the bullshit we pick up from each other on the internet.

So it's nothing to do with respecting authority (the coach has no authority over me because I don't play in his team) and everything to do with understanding why these guys get these jobs in the first place.

You're not a coach bart. I'm not a coach. You know less about the game than even I do, and I know f**k all.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
do you think you could commentate better than laurie daley?

Could you?

Daley mightn't be much of a public speaker but he knows the game better than me. At least he gives good insights.

Probably why he gets paid to commentate.

do you think you could host a better tv show than fatty vautin?

No I don't.

The guy is a natural entertainer. He probably couldn't host any other tv show but he doesn't have to. He gets paid big bucks to host a variety show for bogans, and he does it better than just about anyone.

Better than you f**king could, I'm sure.

do you think you could answer questions better than wayne bennett?

Everyone knows Wayne Bennett knows f**k all about footy. He's dumber than that dumb merkin bartman.

do you think you could stay out of trouble better than todd carney?

I sure do, but this is about football knowledge and I reckon even dopey Todd knows more than we do. I can probably spell better than him, and have a better grasp of punctuation.

But you're kidding if you think you or anyone else on here would know more about the game - including use of the interchange - than Todd Carney.

You don't have to be smart to learn about your job; constant exposure makes this stuff sink in.

do you think you could video referee better than ____?

Point conceded.

do you think you could purchase goods better than paul osbourne?

Is that even a skill?

do you think you could kick better than ben kusto?

No I don't and neither could you. The guy played first grade FFS. He mightn't have played it well, but don't think for a second that some slob in the stands would kick better than him.

also, did you think before posting that question?

I'll let you work that one out.

Latest posts