What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kearney

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I like what you write Poo. However when you start with your "I know more about footy than you" thing, well... :roll:

Just stating facts Gronk.

There are some knowledgeable posters on here but bart isn't one of them. That's how I can "know more about footy" than him even though I "know f**k all", in case you couldn't work that out.

Kornstar

Coach
wanker.gif

That is the best emote, ever!!!

84 Baby

Referee
TBH I know pretty much SFA about the intricacies of rugby league, but in sports I do coach, I start the season trying to be premiers, but as the season unfolds sometimes I realise energies may be better spent on development rather than winning. It can make you look like you have no idea what you are doing, but when you go out the next season and players who were 2 or 3 divisions above what they should have been last year are now superstars.

I'm not saying that's what Kearney did this year or that he is a good a coach as I am, but if I was Kearney it's what I would have done after we were spanked by Storm, Dragons and Cowboys early in the season. Know the players you will keep for next year and develop the shit out of them

TBH I know pretty much SFA about the intricacies of rugby league, but in sports I do coach, I start the season trying to be premiers, but as the season unfolds sometimes I realise energies may be better spent on development rather than winning. It can make you look like you have no idea what you are doing, but when you go out the next season and players who were 2 or 3 divisions above what they should have been last year are now superstars.

I'm not saying that's what Kearney did this year or that he is a good a coach as I am, but if I was Kearney it's what I would have done after we were spanked by Storm, Dragons and Cowboys early in the season. Know the players you will keep for next year and develop the shit out of them
there are two sides to that is it really good for a player's development to make their first grade debut in a side losing week after week and struggling to win under immense media pressure? it might backfire and actually hinder their development instead of help it

Last edited:

84 Baby

Referee
there are two sides to that is it really good for a player's development to make their first grade debut in a side losing week after week and struggling to win under immense media pressure? it might backfire and actually hinder their development instead of help it
True and that comes down to Kearney's judgment. Say if O'Hanlon goes shit and it happens (not that anyone could actually know) to be because Kearney played him in firsts this year then that's Kearney's fault. My real point was that it's impossible to read any coach off a single season. It appears to me that he has a longer term development plan than Ando did (again not that I really know, but appearance is nine tenths of the law), if that is the case then his real test will come when he has to throw development on the backburner and focus on the win column. My view is that will come very quickly into next season

bartman

Immortal
It's a change to the interchange plan that you said Kearney was incapable of. Where he showed in the first couple of rounds that he wanted to use two dummy-halves, he later adapted and played Keating for 80 minutes, even though there were other dummy-half options at Wenty.
Hmmm, maybe just. I meant that Kearney seems to go into a game with his selected bench and intended interchange plan, but incapable of adjusting it to suit the conditions of the game on the day (as they unfold) - except when forced through mid-game injury. Coaches with the hype that Kearney is given usually do a lot better at that aspect I reckon.

True. He was a real find by Kearney. He developed well throughout the year.
Allgood was not "found by Kearney"... I can't believe the credit easily-led people sometimes on Kearney without reason. From http://www.parraeels.com.au/default.aspx?s=player-profile-display&id=255&name=Mitchell%20Allgood&team=Eels, "Mitchell Allgood has been in the Eels' system for many years now and graduated from Toyota Cup to play for Wentworthville in the NSW Cup in 2010." As far as I can recall, Daniel Anderson was at the helm while that was going on, and we can't give Kearney credit for Cayless' retirement.

No, my point is he has been involved with professional coaching for over five years now. These guys get paid to analyse the plans of other coaches and come up with plans of their own. They're far more aware of the body of coaching knowledge out there than you or I. These coaches learn from other coaches, they learn from their senior players, they learn from players that join from other clubs. They have far better access to the nuts and guts of coaching philosophy.
Just because someone steps up to hold a position, doesn't mean they are great at it - far from it when we are talking about a rookie coach in his first head coaching appointment at a club. Let's be realistic here, I hope Kearney develops and goes on to go well, but one thing he probably had going for him in the Boards' eyes while they navigated the club's financial position was that he didn't have as big a price-tag as someone that had already proven experience in the NRL? In time, he may earn a higher salary, and the right to be regarded as more than an average rookie coach. Honestly, the hype that people place on Kearney (just because Ossie and Spags talked up his signing?) is hilarious to read.

Willface

Juniors
What the he'll is with the Anderson love? Christ the guy got us to a grand final on the back of one player look at how we went for the first half of that season and the one after, please. I am not a guy in the know, but you cannot tell me that a first grade coach had no say over his recruitment and if he didn't then he should not have been in that position. Anderson is gone get over the guy and move on for god sake it wasn't like we lost Bennett

I hope Kearney develops and goes on to go well, but one thing he probably had going for him in the Boards' eyes while they navigated the club's financial position was that he didn't have as big a price-tag as someone that had already proven experience in the NRL? In time, he may earn a higher salary, and the right to be regarded as more than an average rookie coach.
after 25 years without a premiership you would think the club would be throwing the bank at a well established coach who has proven credentials rather than pinching pennies with a rookie
maybe kearney was the best choice available at the time but i hope to god that when the board look for a new coach the price tag is the last item on their checklist not the first

Last edited:

Noise

Coach
Kearney landed back in Sydney last night (wed) so i expect he would have been at morning training this morning hehe The Kiwi team was on the same flight as my brother who is also a parra fan and he had a quick chat to kearney

Kearney told him" it was a tough year but dont worry about it because we will be good in 2012". My brother was surprised at how confident kearney sounded about this. Also of note Fui was'nt spotted on the flight back,( possibly because of his ankle injury and not being allowed to fly???just speculating???)

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Kearney landed back in Sydney last night (wed) so i expect he would have been at morning training this morning hehe The Kiwi team was on the same flight as my brother who is also a parra fan and he had a quick chat to kearney

Kearney told him" it was a tough year but dont worry about it because we will be good in 2012". My brother was surprised at how confident kearney sounded about this. Also of note Fui was'nt spotted on the flight back,( possibly because of his ankle injury and not being allowed to fly???just speculating???)

I'm not surprised about SK being confident about 2012.
And I reckon Fui would have been in 1st class.

bartman

Immortal
after 25 years without a premiership you would think the club would be throwing the bank at a well established coach who has proven credentials rather than pinching pennies with a rookie
maybe kearney was the best choice available at the time but i hope to god that when the board look for a new coach the price tag is the last item on their checklist not the first
I don't think they had any choice - it appears they cut a swathe through our back room staff to restructure and employ replacements (probably under lesser job conditions to better balance the budget). So at the time they wouldn't have had the coin to chase top dollar coach (which would be above the salary cap/NRL grant), and they did a great job of talking Kearney up after signing him, and over time he should develop.

With a new TV deal and increased grants to clubs by the next time we should be looking for or re-signing a coach, we should be able to compete for top class guys again - and maybe SK will be in that class by then, 2012 is his make or break year and it's good he's confident.

Eelementary

Post Whore

Fair point.

But imagine if Kearney [eventually] turns out to be the next Des Hasler (a bloke who I, personally, rate as the game's best coach right now)? And by that I mean he spends a few years clearing out the dead wood, signing up blokes and grooming the team he wants and then coaching them and bringing us success. He'll establish a dynasty at Parramatta and he'll probably stay a while with us for it.

Only negative of the plan is if he leaves lol.