What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kearney's DUBIOUS team selections/use of the bench YET AGAIN!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
you say the board sacked DA because his team wasn't performing, yet SK's team is not performing either????

But they are.

You can't compare the two teams because there is a vast gulf in talent between the two.

The 2009 Eels performed to their potential in the regular season and above their potential in the finals.

The 2010 Eels were abysmal.

The 2011 Eels are performing well above their potential, considering the poor overall quality of the squad. We currently have 16 players of first grade standard fit enough to play. That's only if you include Jeff Robson.

typicalfan

Coach
^^ no the current board has proven they will sack a coach they did not actually prefer to hire

so far, the current board also seems quite happy to start throwing out hints about extending the contract of a rookie coach, who although shows great potential, remains largely unproven.....if they do that before he has shown any results, someone better be accountable for that if it goes sour. so you say if you don't perform (as a coach) you will get sacked...well how does what i just stated reconcile with that theory?!?!

bottom line is, SK is the coach, he knew the squad he had at the start of the year and he didn't say anything about a re-building year then. ultimately the on-field performance of the team stops with the players and the coach.......

No one can tell you whether or not SK will bring the Eels a title. But there is more than just past results, it is about future optimism, you can use his current year as some evidence as to how 2012 pans out but you need to always be making decisions based on the future, not on the past.

For example who did DA sign for the 2011 season? duds and nobodies, he couldn't acquire anyone of note whatsoever and all signs pointed to a poor 2011. The current board saw a downward trend and cut ties. They bring in SK who bought a couple of nuffies but to be fair there wasn't alot on the market by then and has them playing with more structure. He signs a quality halves pairing and a few quality outside backs, two areas that the Eels need vast improvement. On paper 2012 looks promising. The Eels fans are scratching their head thinking who will play fullback, five eighth because there are plenty of options suddenly.

That is future optimism, SK showed he is putting the Eels on what looks to be an upward trend, but if he fails to get results long term he will be shown the door as well, don't worry about that.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
3. you're speaking in past tense in your above statement, i'll believe he has truned the attitude of the club around when the team finishes the year off strongly and positively and just misses out on the 8. to me the biggest disappointment of his coaching so far has been the lack of change in the overall attitude and cultuer in the team/club. they still seem (as a group) to be just expecting things to happen for them, they are still often lethargic and lazy and over-confident in some games and don't seem willing to play for 80 mins and grind out wins. this has not changed yet from previous years....this this to me has NOT happened as yet

Thats been the biggest problem is attitude. Going into games we're expected to win, and clocking off when we're leading.

Hopefully thats all gonna change next year, when we have a proper halfback. Now Sandow wont be our savouir, but if we change the whole game plan and not rely too much on Hayne, then Im confident our attack will be a lot better.

But unfortunately we're gonna have to put up with no halfback for the rest of the season. Robson is terrible, and couldnt go to the Sharks any quicker. Mortimer,... well he just cant crack it, but at least his options would be better than Robson's.

Ratchy

Juniors
coaching NZ in a tournament (with lots of assistance from Wayne Bennett) is not the same as being an NRL Head Coach

Funny how all Kearney detractors and Bennett supporters claim that about his work with the NZ team when Bennett himself has stated on more than 1 occasion he was a consultant or used to bounce ideas off.

Must be selective memory

BigErn

Juniors
That's right. In the eyes of many he proved he was serious about changing this place when he told Timana Tahu to f**k off at the start of pre-season. I also reckon he nudged Grothe into retirement.

Doesn't this negate your whole point of inheriting a lesser quality squad.
If he turfed Tahu and Grothe, he should be held accountable for those decisions.

He signed hicks
He signed walker
He signed whatuira
He's the one who decided to play Morgan.
He's the one who is destroying OHanlon.

Where is this almighty attitude improvement???

We are still the worst club in the speed of the ruck
We are still struggling to compete the full 80 mins.

There's no improvement.
We've gone downhill.

Why is kearney imune to criticism?
Because he is a rookie coach?

If an apprentice f**ks up in the workplace, he gets reprimanded.

No ones demanding SK gets the sack immediately.
All the fans want is to see what was promised.
An improvement in attitude and a glimmer of hope for the future.

So far I don't see it.
Poor use of the bench, so much uncertainty in the squad week in and out, and an acceptance of mediocrity doesn't exactly instill me with a whole lot of confidence.

Again, I'll reserve my judgement for round 6 next year.
But until then, I believe I have a right to question his decisions without a fear of being ridiculed and called fickle.

spartan2153

Juniors
Funny how all Kearney detractors and Bennett supporters claim that about his work with the NZ team when Bennett himself has stated on more than 1 occasion he was a consultant or used to bounce ideas off.

Must be selective memory

Please explain then why is it the cups he won he had Bennett in camp & the years he wasn't they didn't win a game. I remember a lot of the kiwi players mentioning how much of a lift it is having bennet in camp

Ratchy

Juniors
If he turfed Tahu and Grothe, he should be held accountable for those decisions.

He signed hicks
He signed walker
He signed whatuira

There's no improvement.
We've gone downhill.

So far I don't see it.
Poor use of the bench, so much uncertainty in the squad week in and out, and an acceptance of mediocrity doesn't exactly instill me with a whole lot of confidence.

But until then, I believe I have a right to question his decisions without a fear of being ridiculed and called fickle.

:lol: One of the funniest posts i have read in a long while.

Ratchy

Juniors
Please explain then why is it the cups he won he had Bennett in camp & the years he wasn't they didn't win a game. I remember a lot of the kiwi players mentioning how much of a lift it is having bennet in camp

And those same players have also stated that Kearney was a great coach and the major reason they won those tournaments etc etc......There would be no ulterior motive for Bennett to say such things other than give credit where it's deserved.

Eels Dude

Coach
It's good this site is finally working again. I blame Poupou, Suity, SDM, and just for the hell of it Maroubra Eel.

oldmancraigy

Coach

He signed hicks
He signed walker
He signed whatuira

There's no improvement.
We've gone downhill.

So far I don't see it.

Clearly you misplaced your second IQ point before posting this.

Laughing at it is the first thing to do, but the second thing might be to ask whom you would've signed?
It's compulsory to have 25 players in the NRL squad. Who would you have signed if not some old vets?
The ridiculous criticism over his use of the bench is just that. Who cares if NOBODY comes off the bench, as long as the team is competing - oh, and since round 10 we've competed, and could've won, every single footy game.

As for dropping people, you take that to mean an acceptance of mediocrity and uncertainty in the squad? PERHAPS (and this might stretch your little brain) PERHAPS the players know who is picked, it's just the press who isn't given the final squad until an hour before kickoff (as per the rules).

For a team to have a +25 differential and an excellent defensive record since round 10, you'd have to say they've played good footy. Just a shame that we don't have the talent to finish the job, and have been unfortunate in going down on the bell 3 times.

Here's the simple maths for ya: those 3 tight losses = +6 comp points = 8th spot.
then everyone would be saying how massively we've overachieved and what a fantastic job Kearney has done in developing young talent.
The fact that the ball bounced arsily for Foran to score; the fact that Burt made a dumb decision; the fact that Robson gave away a stupid penalty - those things lead directly to losses which otherwise would've been wins.

Those 3 mistakes don't change the fact that we've played footy to the standard of a top 8 team WITHOUT HAVING A HALFBACK of any note.
Our attack is Hayne or nothing (and the opposition knows it) - how can you say we're doing badly? With our roster we should get the spoon...

Last edited:

HevyDevy

Coach
What's with all the 'IF we won those games we'd be in the eight' rubbish?

We didn't win them and we're not in the eight. Fact.

Kornstar

Coach

Must be selective memory

I think you have a memory of convenience!

Bennett was 100% an assistant coach of the WC winning side!

The year after he had left and the results spoke for themselves.

Last year Bennett again was not there until they made the final and then it was stated that he contacted Bennett for help and advice. He was not in camp and you are correct, he gave guidance, the WC however he was on the staff!

oldmancraigy

Coach
What's with all the 'IF we won those games we'd be in the eight' rubbish?

We didn't win them and we're not in the eight. Fact.

Genius.

You should really approach Ricky about getting a gig as Blue's assistant coach next year????

The [rather simple] point is that except for 3 last minute blunders (4-6 if you want to go into the 'what ifs' of the Brisbane/StGeo/Newwy games) we've played consistently good football.
The only reason we're not winning those games is a lack of class (most notably in the halfback spot).

It's a similar situation to last year - we played pretty good footy on the whole, but couldn't get it done at the business end of the park.

For me, that's a good sign - Kearney has the team well drilled, give him some creative halves (aka Sandow, Roberts) and we'll not only be winning those 3 last minute loss games, but we'll be well ahead before the last minute rolls around!

oldmancraigy

Coach
All this is true oldman. But Hayne is hardly a half of no note.

You think Hayne can sing?!?!?

seriously: there's a massive difference between the organising halves and those who just lay on plays. An organising half is a guy who knows how to 'steer the team' around the paddock.
Hayne is a superb fullback, who is doing a pretty damn fine job of playmaking - but he's not the organiser.
All the good teams have good organisers, or at worst multiple playmakers.

That's what we've got to look forward to next year.

I just get sick of the moronic view that 'we suck' this year.
No, we're not bad, we're just missing playmakers - we have exactly 1 person who is dangerous inside the opposition 20. It's a testament to his freakish abilities that we're even CLOSE in ANY football games at all.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Hayne is being sprouted as the next half to take over from Lockyer in the Aus team by some smart people. So I don't buy this stuff about us not having good halves.

Latest posts