What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keeping a "food diary"

Johns Magic

Referee
Only if your looking to put on significant mass. If your trying to build lean muscle as well as lose fat, doing cardio and resistance in the same session is very effective.

Yeah it would be for toning.

I'm just going for mass/strength gain for footy at the moment.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Firstly Timmah, if you're out on the piss stick to vodka lime soda's.

Secondly, what's the intensity of your gym sessions? If you make sure you're only taking short breaks between sets your heart rate will stay at a high enough level that it will count as a cardio session as well. Even if you just feel your heartbeat through your chest you'll have a fair idea of when your heart rate is up or not.

But if you're taking 5 minutes between sets then really you're not getting the most out of it for what you're trying to achieve.
I've got a program that sets out 5 days a week but because of everything I do I can rarely get there more than 3-4 days a week. 3 days resistance, 2 days cardio. I rarely take a break of more than a minute between each set and I normally move immediately to the next weight set or machine.

HevyDevy

Coach
argh! People who buy coffee's everyday confuse me.

In the city it's $3.20 per large coffee x 2 or 3 per day..... $35+ everyweek!

Always consider myself lucky i'm a tea drinker.. Can't go wrong with Lipton's in the desk drawer and hot water in the kitchen!

Pffft.

My morning coffee is the highlight of my day. Actually that's a slight exaggeration but at least it gives me an excuse to leave the house for 5 mins every morning. Sucks a bit in winter but not to worry.

HevyDevy

Coach
Yeah it would be for toning.

I'm just going for mass/strength gain for footy at the moment.

I do it to add some weight/muscle as well. The whole Xmas period got in the way a bit and I lost a few kilos but just starting to head back to the gym and take my protein shakes again.

Kiki

First Grade
omg Tim don't try and drink wine to lose weight! it's so high in calories, it's up there with beer.

the only drink that's acceptable when trying to lose weight is vodka and soda with fresh lime. not lime cordial coz thats full of sugar.

Sir Biffo

Bench
I think part of the lure of maccas/kfc is not only because it tastes so good but more the fact that it was easy to get, quick, and there's no dishes to wash. Lazy man's option I guess. That said I only really had Maccas once or twice a week max anyway, but I did go overboard i.e. burger + chips + drink + second burger...

It's all about moderation in the end and my diet has been the hardest thing to change, my discipline for the gym is fine.

I've also taken to waking earlier and having a regular brekky which is helping me during the day.

At the end of the day I'm not terribly overweight or obese, I've just got a beer gut I want to get rid of and it's my diet that's allowed it to get that way :fist:

You can have easy meals ready at home, it only takes about 2 hours on a Sunday afternoon to eat well all week.

Cook up servings of veg (I dice carrots, sweet potato, pumpkin, celery, potato, zucchini, red onions, a bit of garlic, drizzle the lot with olive oil & bake for 50 mins - after 40 mins throw some tomato on top to go thru the mix as well). I buy some fillets of fresh fish (maybe 800g - 1kg) and split into 5 servings, freeze them. Cook up a large spaghetti bolognaise (use roo mince, add capsicum & onions & garlic), freeze these into portions (you'll get six or so).

Two hours in the kitchen on a Sunday arvo and I'll eat like a king for the week! The veges go great with wholegrain rice and a serving of the fish for a super healthy dinner, the spaghetti bolognaise makes great lunches at work, and if you have a couple of pieces of fruit through the day you're easily getting your 2 serves of fruit and 5 of veg.

Oh and unfortunatley no amount work in the gym is going to take away that last bit of beer gut, that's all kitchen!

Kiki

First Grade
yup very true. no point killing it in the gym if you don't put the right fuel in ur body

Latest posts