What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kidwell you muppet

Rich102

Staff member
I suspect part of the reason he is still there is a lack of alternatives.
If they sack Kidwell and haven't got something in place they are going to lose even more credibility.

Diesel

Referee
These guys coaching themselves would do a better job than the shit that Kidwell has served up

Diesel

Referee
They’re now pushing for a Maori v Aboriginal (test) match in May/June.

If merkinwell is still around, this is where his ideaology should’ve been plyed. Let’s hope for any Kiwi RL team, he’s nowhere around

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
The muppets are the NZRL for appointing him in the first place. David Kidwell was always a horrendous appointment made out of (?) haste, lack of cash... I won't cop lack of contenders because they could've appointed an Australian (oh yeah but then how would they put the Ki in We)

Kidwell is not a smart man. I've seen it in the way he speaks, he's laboured, ideas aren't flowing. He wasn't an intelligent footballer, a hot head who got by because he played with passion. There was no subtlety to his game. So why are we surprised he had no intelligence in his coaching? The marae thing was PR bullshit. The changing trainings around was just as dense, placing footballers outside their routines. The same routine that works for the Storm week to week or any other good club. Oh because the ABs do it. Not the Storm though...you know, that environment you were purportedly learning off.

So Hayton should go too, not just Kidwell.

Diesel

Referee
Too right Hayton should go. He’s in charge of this mess.
He also couldn’t take the time to reply to my email considering I sent it a few days after the loss to Fiji.
If he’s the best we have, then we are going to be pretty much rock bottom for a while

Iafeta

Referee
They’re now pushing for a Maori v Aboriginal (test) match in May/June.

If merkinwell is still around, this is where his ideaology should’ve been plyed. Let’s hope for any Kiwi RL team, he’s nowhere around

Merkinwell is such a dope he will name Taumalolo, Fusitua, Mau and SST and not understand why they won't play for his NZ Maori team.

Rich102

Staff member
David Kidwell's chances of staying on as Kiwis coach remain doubtful after the New Zealand Rugby League confirmed the job will be made open to all applicants – not just New Zealanders.

The NZRL announced today the head coaching position would be open to all candidates but stressed the change "should not be read in any way as a comment on the World Cup coach's past performance, nor on his possible re-appointment in the role".

Kidwell is off-contract and facing a battle to win reappointment after the Kiwis managed just three wins from 10 tests under his guidance, culminating in their shock World Cup quarter-final exit at the hands of Fiji late last year.

He will still be able to apply for the job but the fact the NZRL are looking to broaden their scope does not bode well for his chances.

"The Kiwis Coach Eligibility Rule has been reviewed and the Board has agreed to implement a recommendation from the review panel and immediately change this rule to allow for international as well as New Zealand candidates to apply," said NZRL chairman Reon Edwards.

"While this change is designed to ensure the best possible person is appointed to the job, it should not be read in any way as a comment on the World Cup coach's past performance, nor on his possible re-appointment in the role due to his appointment having concluded at the end of the 2017 World Cup."

The NZRL also confirmed it has received a draft Preliminary Summary Report of a comprehensive review of the Kiwis' failed World Cup campaign.

Prepared and presented by independent panellists Tim Castle and Raelene Castle, the full report is expected to be finalised and presented at the next NZRL board meeting on 28 February, with the findings expected to be made public in early March.

The NZRL also announced plans, in line with another recommendation made by the review panel, to establish an independent panel tasked with providing a recommendation for Head Coach of the Kiwis to the NZRL board.

"As I said before Christmas, the review will input into the NZRL's Strategic Plan, which is well evolved and has been focusing on the delivery of better outcomes for the game.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11992747

Iafeta

Referee
Why did they even say that? What possible good does that line deliver. It just creates an impression of incompetence that is supportive of Muppetwell.

Sometimes these suits and ties should just stick behind their desk and STFU.

Why did they even say that? What possible good does that line deliver. It just creates an impression of incompetence that is supportive of Muppetwell.

Exactly, just say something like "we want to be the best in the world again so we are not limiting our search for applicants and will be opening the application to all the great coaches of the world"

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

I think Kidwell is the worst coach of all time, even beyond Paul Langmack and his 17% or so winning percentage at Wests. I also think he's an average bloke.

But I think it's absolutely fine what they said. They're going through a process, their job is to appoint the best coach (yes, they failed miserably in doing that last time) it's not to publicly knife the guy who is still the guy in the job. The review will do that. There's absolutely no need to subtly or outright brazenly slapping down the coach. That doesn't inspire confidence in anyone applying in the future, that they might get drawn and quartered if results aren't good. I think that had to be in there to avoid media speculation - even if people may draw their own conclusion.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
We all figured they had no coin when they appointed Kidwell.

Here's where they need to get smart. Appoint either someone under the radar from Australia, like a Jason Demetriou or Garth Brennan (I use him as an example who we could've had last year), or convince someone who is out of work like a Neil Henry to take it on. Henry may not want to touch it with a barge pole but got to try. I still maintain Justin Morgan would have been a good choice but the Warriors tainted him.

But the NZRL are incompetent so it's probably going to be someone like Steve Price (edit, I mean the ex Dragons coach) or someone with no level of success.