What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King Schif leads us into Top 8

aussies1st

Staff member
Looking at Tilse size he could well play in the backrow. I was looking at him compared to Weyman, geez there is a huge height difference.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Schif_Happens said:
You don't think he's a front rower?? What is he, a centre? The bloke is massive, and will get better with more game time. People were saying he was ordinary last week, but he is not the sort of forward that will hit the line and push through all the time. The defense will hit him around the waist(because he's so tall), and he will off-load more often than not like he did in Melbourne.

As for Carney, he was very good today, except that pass early on. His defence is getting better, and he was able to stand outside of Smith with confidence for once.

Frankly, I think Tilse would do himself a favour by moving to Rugby. He`d be sensational in the lineout. Dunno where he should play and I`m not criticising the guy, I just don`t feel as confident with him upfront as I do with one of the guys with a more traditional front rower`s build. Anyway, I guess Thurling is more of what I have in mind for the 8 or 10.

As for Carney, read what I said. He started off very poorly when he was playing at half. After about 20 minutes he drifted out to 5/8th and had a very good game. Once he is only worrying about his own play and not focussing on organisation, I think he shows real promise. Individually, the guy has a lot of talent and has the ability to break the line.

A good game by a solid team today.

Bay56

First Grade
Yep and I forgot to mention Schif ...

I've been critical of him of late for his actions in seeking a release from his contract and also the fact that he very rarely hits the line on kick returns.

Since my comments his kick return has vastly improved reminding me of 2003.

Go for it Schif and dont event think of leaving again :D

aussies1st

Staff member
Carney stopped distributing and started running. Thats when he started to look good. We still look suspect in the opposition 20.

Bay56

First Grade
aussies1st said:
Carney stopped distributing and started running. Thats when he started to look good. We still look suspect in the opposition 20.

Carney always looks better when he mixes his game ... he has a great step and fend and should take the line on a bit more .... that eventually will get defences thinking twice thereby giving him more time to control and distribute ... next season Henry's biggest task will be to find his partner.

Gotta give a mention to Elliott as well ... this is the sort of game we often lost, you know, "if we win we jump into the eight" type of game ... the team was obviously prepared mentally as well as physically for ttodays game.

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
Can't believe Tilse is still being bagged in some areas. Only his second (consecutive) game in the top grade. Whilst he doesn't have the line impact of a Weyman, his offloading skills give us another dimension. He has a high work rate in defence and can't see any reason to think Williams should be there ahead of him. Did anyone see Thurling in premier league?? would still like him in the 17 as he can play front row and second row. Oh and by the way, this is the first week where I have come away satisfied with Howell and Purtell. Don't think we will look too bad next week if Chalk goes to fullback and Frawley in to the centres (what was he doing in the 2nd row) assuming Mogg and Shif are picked for origin.

hrundi99

First Grade
s y d n e y - r a i d e r said:
what was ryan cross thinking picking a fight from TLL. he would have ended up in hospital

He could have re-arranged his face and it would have been an improvement...

legend

Coach
That was funny. Tom gave him a two handed shove and he almost ended up in the upper terrace of the grandstand. I'm not sure I'd like to be on the receiving end of a Tom LL haymaker but yes, for Cross it would be the cheapest way to improve his looks.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I think Tilse was very solid today and considering his inexperience he was very impressive. 113m from 14 runs doesn't indicate a lack of go-forward to me and the guy can offload effectively. A good prospect.

edabomb

First Grade
I'm still suprised at the lack of credit Smith is getting. When you compare our attack from today and the Storm the difference is unbelievable. Sure the Storm are a much better side than the Roosters, but going by last weeks form we couldn't of put 42 on anyone in the comp.

greeneyed

First Grade
Probably because Smith looked out of touch... sure some nice passes eg the Schifcofske try... but others were off.... and his kicking is really bad. I don't know why Smith kicks so much when Carney is a much better option.

edabomb

First Grade
Haha. Coming up with 3 (?) try assists is pretty good for someone out of touch. I agree Carney is a better long kicker, but he offers nothing at the moment with his short kicking game.

You know if Carney came up with 3 try assists in a match he would be lauded as a future immortal ;-)

greenhat

Juniors
Has anyone else noticed that with Tilse and Weyman we just about have the tallest player and the widest player in the comp?
Playing abilities aside, it just makes the raiders -look- bloody impressive.

aussies1st

Staff member
Smith's bombs aren't great. When Carney put one up it looked more threatening.
Problem is Carney doesn't take control when in the opposition 20. Thats where we need him.

Raider Azz

Bench
haha greeneyed. smith wasn't out of touch. he orchastrated many of our tries and was one of the best on the park. not taking anything away from carney though, because he was also excellent.

i believe that was the first match where the two of them worked together well.

raidersforme

Juniors
Agree

The passion by ALL was awesome like they watched the 94 grand final as mental prep if kept up for the next 8-10 weeks we will win haven't been this excited for two years about the raiders

But something has to happen about the ref and bad calls against us and blatent ones where the worst to see go by

schnitzel

Juniors
Frawley in the 2nd row was a suprise but he showed enough promise to suggest this is his future. He has the upper body strength and leg speed to be a damaging wide running back rower and the ability to offload. When he is on the wing he can lose concentration and get lazy, but he put his hand up in the first 20 and charged into the defence in the middle like a regular forward. Could be the ultimate bench utility...

dubby

Bench
Schnitzel, i agree with Frawley. HE is a big lad, so throwing him into the action instead of lazing on the wing might be good for him.

A number of good things from the game.

Team spirit.
A Sunday arvo win....at home!
TC's game at 5/8...will be a very good player next year in the 6
Tilse's try.
The first time we've put a team away. That is what made me happy most of all.
Of course its always sweet beating the Roosters!

Howell and Purtell had decent games, and the more i watch Purts, the more he should be a centre. He's too slow for wing.
Howell will struggle in 07 for a start, Elliot is in love with the Wolf hence his position in the 13 all year.
The forwards are looking the goods, but the oppsition weren't all that confident.
Tongue is an amazing worker, i love his attitude to the game.
It makes life so much sweeter when the boys are winnng.

I enjoyed listening to Laurie Daley on FOX yesterday, his green bias was showing through. He commented several times on the talent in the backs and how we should use them more often *waits for comments from Bay*
And his remarks to Warren Smith on the cold Canberra weather...
"Oh you Sydeny people...this is a perfect winters day in the nations capital...respect it!"

Latest posts