What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 16. vs the Titans. Game day thread.

Rich102

Staff member
Quite right, but he showed he wanted it more.

SJ is best when he keeps the defence guessing and preferably running at the line. Running across field and laying it off to an already tired forward is not cool.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

SJ is best when he keeps the defence guessing and preferably running at the line. Running across field and laying it off to an already tired forward is not cool.
Re Foran I’m talking more in a general sense and as a reminder that SJ isn’t necessarily washed up. How many times n his career has Foran been declared busted and washed up? More than Shaun, but his current form shows that as long as his body and brain are in the right space now, age and past injuries won’t necessarily hold him back.

Blair

Coach

Hopefully he gets that drilled into him at this week's first training session.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Re Foran I’m talking more in a general sense and as a reminder that SJ isn’t necessarily washed up. How many times n his career has Foran been declared busted and washed up? More than Shaun, but his current form shows that as long as his body and brain are in the right space now, age and past injuries won’t necessarily hold him back.
They are probably different mentality players as well.

Foran has always been a take a hit halve, I remember Sterlo saying repeatedly when he started if he doesn’t start taking less knocks his career wouldn’t be a long one.
Shaun is a finesse rather than contact, so any little issues around the legs probably hamper Shaun a lot more as he tries to avoid that contact

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
They are probably different mentality players as well.

Foran has always been a take a hit halve, I remember Sterlo saying repeatedly when he started if he doesn’t start taking less knocks his career wouldn’t be a long one.
Shaun is a finesse rather than contact, so any little issues around the legs probably hamper Shaun a lot more as he tries to avoid that contact
All true. I think most people predicted Foran would be done a few years ago due to his lack of self preservation. A bit like Egan in that respect.

FO Annesley, RTS sin bin justified because of what could potentially go wrong!
Video shown on NRL tonight with video and audio of Casey Badger justify it, "moderate force and moderate risk of injury" are her words. f**k her off. He doesn't drop him and doesn't got past the horizontal.
Some can be heard saying "he lands on his back but Casey". "because he goes to ground with him that elevates it for me!" she continues. There is a claim of his head hitting the ground, so where is the HIA????
So she wants him to drop him?

Its not f**ken tiddlywinks!

If you hit someone hard enough in the torse it can cause whiplash that could cause neck damage or concussion.
If you are driven hard enough backwards you can bag your head on the ground.
Is the game being turn into touch?

No mandate to remove tackles that leave the ground and land on the back to be removed from the game like the shoulder charge!

Yet Skelton (dogs) can basically shoulder charge Ponga (roosters) in the chest at the 25min mark and be praised for it.
Slow-mo shows his chin whipping forward into Skeltons back, luckily he didn't hit his head on the ground as he went to ground.
But 5-10cm higher and its a headshot that potentially takes his head off like Suali v Walsh in origin!

Last edited:
So by the Badger principle a defender can no longer lift a player up, drive him backwards, and dump him on his back?
Yep and Annes-lies again defended his refs bad calls.
Like Lomax's try the week before the should of been no try was defended and within a week Fords is called no try.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/06/24/annesley-on-rts/

We will see more tackles like this and I can guarantee depending on where the teams sits in the ethos of NRL headquarters and refs will determine the outcome.

The exact same words Annesley uses could be used for the Skelton tackle.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
"When you break it down and look at it slowly and what could have potentially happened in that tackle had things gone even slightly more awry, you could've had a serious outcome. That's why we take action on this tackle because we don't want players lifted."

For a start, breaking down actions in a fast-paced game is dangerous. That's where we get things out of context with potential tries and this tackle.

The second part, about things could have gone awry, is the most laughable thing I think I've ever heard out of Graham Annersley, and he's peak Richard Pryor with the humour he brings out sometimes. Now you get sinbinned in rugby league because you got close to hurting someone.

RTS didn't lift Campbell at all, or certainly not with any intention. He hit him so hard that he ended up on his back. For RTS to have done that differently, he would have had to put a soft hit on him. Do we want a game where you do that? Playmakers deserve to be hit when they're prone to copping one, to discourage taking on the line. That's the game. They're also small, so they absorb impact differently.

It's a nice time to discuss it because it didn't affect us, and we can't as readily come across as sooks. That was pathetic, and so was the attempted appraisal of the decision.

Big Marn

Bench
its a sad indictment on the NRL referees association and their academy if Casey Badger is refereeing and Bunkering NRL Games.

Latest posts