What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King Sonny Bill may return to the NRL... Which club should he join?

Where should Sonny Bill play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Danish

Referee
Given how late in the season he'd be joining, I can't imagine any other club on the list of potential clubs would be worth his while besides us.

With Radley gone for the year it would probably make a decent fit for us too. Although honestly he's been a long time gone from rugby league now so god knows how he'd actually go on the field. Took him a couple months to really hit his straps in 2013, and he won't have that long here.

If he could join a team tomorrow, I'd personally love to see him at the dogs. Their squad would thrive with a senior leader to follow. Plus it would make the broncos much more likely to get the spoon

This stinks of a Maubusson medical retirement.

He'll be a Roosters ambassador or selling used cars at City Ford by this time next week.

Nah. I think that option will be reserved for the ageing and oft injured Jake Friend. Thanks Souths once again for the precedent.

Danish

Referee
This stinks of a Maubusson medical retirement.

He'll be a Roosters ambassador or selling used cars at City Ford by this time next week.

We have a $800k chunk of latrell money burning a hole in our pocket this year

The problem for the Roosters is actually finding a roster spot. To accommodate Williams the club would have to move someone on as all 30 sports are filled, and loaning players out does not create a spot.

MilkShark

First Grade
Article seems wishy washy to me.

"A source close to negotiations"

"Politis had a lunch meeting with Khoder that was totally unrelated and involved 2 other people"

I hope it happens, just for the meltdowns.
And I hope he does an ACL, just for the melt downs

MilkShark

First Grade
I hope he comes back, you always want the best athletes playing in the game

Zero issue with him going to the Roosters. It’s going to be for what 4-8 games? Of course it’s going to be a reduced contract
Why should he be allowed to sign a reduced contract?

Other people arent.

SBD82

Coach
While I’d love to see him go to the warriors, SBW going to the Roosters is such an obvious choice given his history with the club and their injury toll.

The one hesitation I might have if I was the Roosters would be the circus that would happen in the media, and how bringing in a high profile player at this late stage might effect the younger players or the team dynamic. It’s a minor consideration though and I’m sure the Roosters could manage it.

Make it happen Nick.

SBD82

Coach

Other people arent.
Can’t for the life I’d be remember where I heard it, but apparently all clubs can do reduced contracts until the end of the season due to COVID.

aqua_duck

Coach
The problem for the Roosters is actually finding a roster spot. To accommodate Williams the club would have to move someone on as all 30 sports are filled, and loaning players out does not create a spot.
Politis will have lunch with his long lost Greek cousin V'landis and they'll get a waiver for billy smith/radley/Verrills or they'll release someone like Hutchinson who s off contract and of the year anyway and down the pecking order

MilkShark

First Grade
Can’t for the life I’d be remember where I heard it, but apparently all clubs can do reduced contracts until the end of the season due to COVID.
Is this it?

The NRL has indicated that in signing a new deal, players must agree to a clause where their wages are reduced by the same percentage as any lowered salary cap.

"Until otherwise notified any Top 30 contract not yet registered by the NRL needs to include the following clause: Where the NRL, Clubs and RLPA agree that players' contracted Playing Fees will be reduced for the 2020, 2021 and / or 2022 seasons, the player agrees that his contracted Playing Fee will be reduced by the same annual percentage basis down to a limit of the agreed Top 30 (or equivalent) minimum wage for that season," an NRL memo read on Monday.

SBD82

Coach
Is this it?

The NRL has indicated that in signing a new deal, players must agree to a clause where their wages are reduced by the same percentage as any lowered salary cap.

"Until otherwise notified any Top 30 contract not yet registered by the NRL needs to include the following clause: Where the NRL, Clubs and RLPA agree that players' contracted Playing Fees will be reduced for the 2020, 2021 and / or 2022 seasons, the player agrees that his contracted Playing Fee will be reduced by the same annual percentage basis down to a limit of the agreed Top 30 (or equivalent) minimum wage for that season," an NRL memo read on Monday.
Yep. That’s the one.

So given that the contract would be 4 months max, and then further reduced by 30 percent, a nominal value of $600k would become a $140k contract.

Edit. Wait. No. I clearly didn’t read your post properly. I saw 30 and assumed.

MilkShark

First Grade
Yep. That’s the one.

So given that the contract would be 4 months max, and then further reduced by 30 percent, a nominal value of $600k would become a $140k contract.

Edit. Wait. No. I clearly didn’t read your post properly. I saw 30 and assumed.
So rorters have top 30 signed?

BadnMean

Juniors
Warriors or Dogs make sense given history & I believe they have roster spots.

Cannot be Easts if they don't have a roster spot.

But he's 35 & wasn't playing great even in the SL. I don't think he's a needle mover on the park anymore- but he's a huge media buzz plus.

Vic Mackey

Referee

Other people arent.

whats the going rate for an SBW contract? Guy was coming off the bench for the last placed ESL side. Let’s be generous and say $500kpa. So for a third of a season that’s $166k. What’s the issue if the roosters sign him for a figure around that?

MilkShark

First Grade
whats the going rate for an SBW contract? Guy was coming off the bench for the last placed ESL side. Let’s be generous and say $500kpa. So for a third of a season that’s $166k. What’s the issue if the roosters sign him for a figure around that?
Dunno but shouldn't his next contract be based of his last contract?