What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King Sonny Bill may return to the NRL... Which club should he join?

Where should Sonny Bill play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aqua_duck

Coach
Following bits are taken from this article - https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/23/roosters-set-to-open-roster-spot-for-potential-sbw-return/

• The Roosters have opened a roster spot that Williams could fill with uncapped outside back Asu Kepaoa set to join Wests Tigers on a mid-season transfer. No official comment has been made by either the Wests Tigers or Roosters, but it is understood Kepaoa will link with the joint-venture over the weekend.
  • However, the most significant hurdle to his return is a rule precluding players from holding simultaneous contracts with an NRL club and a team in another sporting competition. Under NRL rules, Williams would be required to terminate his two-year $10 million contract with the Wolfpack before signing another deal with the Roosters or any other club for that matter.
You can read the rest of the article if you want, but those are the key points.
Did Ben Te'o terminate his deal with the sunwolves?

BLN2

Juniors
Wow, what a joke. If the NRL let the Roosters sign him for nothing, just another example of the NRL feeding the rich. They have rules to stop this exact situation, but I'm sure they'll let the Roosters do it here.

Generalzod

Immortal
The bloke got one of the biggest contract in Rugby league history and will be coming back to NRL on a smaller contract really...

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I thought there was a rule where a player had to be registered at least at market value or near, or did I make that up? Because the Roosters having room for SBW is a joke. Everyone else should f**k off home. Or actually. Ivan and the Pennies should do what Ivan used to do with the salary cap cheating Storm - beat them anyway.

Valheru

Coach
I thought there was a rule where a player had to be registered at least at market value or near, or did I make that up? Because the Roosters having room for SBW is a joke. Everyone else should f**k off home. Or actually. Ivan and the Pennies should do what Ivan used to do with the salary cap cheating Storm - beat them anyway.

If the articles are true he would be getting between $100-$150k for a max of 2 months work.

That is the same as $600-$900k for a full 12 months. Then there is the 30% reduction for this year so that seems over market value to me.

blue bags

First Grade
sonny money bill will be back at toronto wolfpack 2021
has a player ever won an nrl grandfinal , left, then came back to win again
sonny could do it

dragon_around

Juniors
If the articles are true he would be getting between $100-$150k for a max of 2 months work.

That is the same as $600-$900k for a full 12 months. Then there is the 30% reduction for this year so that seems over market value to me.
I thought with the last of your loose change for 2020 you picked up Josh Morris?

blue bags

First Grade
sonny can win the NRL and the NRL boxing heavyweight title this year
is there anything sonny cant do

blue bags

First Grade
Eat bacon
38fe0efcdadf19cad71fdcc0b2e69c44.jpg

BunniesMan

Immortal
Sonny Bill is days away from turning 35. He hasn't played serious footy in a year. He is over the hill. He will not be a difference maker for Easts. Mark my words.

aqua_duck

Coach
Sonny Bill is days away from turning 35. He hasn't played serious footy in a year. He is over the hill. He will not be a difference maker for Easts. Mark my words.
Pretty sure I remember you saying in 2013 that the game had moved past SBW.......

aqua_duck

Coach
I was wrong then. But he wasn't 35 then.
Didn't John Sutton play until he was 35? Benji is 35 and still doing things, Morris boys Blake Green, Soliola and Blair are 34. Obviously he's not going to be the player he was in 2013 when the game had 'moved past him' but for 30 mins off the bench after JWH and Taukeiaho have already softened up the opposition pack he'd at the very least be an upgrade on Aubusson. Even if he's below average what he'd being to the squad in terms of intangibles would be well worth it

dogslife

Coach
Once again the voice of reason Bunniesbro
Didn't John Sutton play until he was 35? Benji is 35 and still doing things, Morris boys Blake Green, Soliola and Blair are 34. Obviously he's not going to be the player he was in 2013 when the game had 'moved past him' but for 30 mins off the bench after JWH and Taukeiaho have already softened up the opposition pack he'd at the very least be an upgrade on Aubusson. Even if he's below average what he'd being to the squad in terms of intangibles would be well worth it
Terrible examples if we're being honest. Other than maybe Green and Bmoz, the game has passed all of them by in a big way