What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kirk Reynoldson to take Knights to court

Nuffy

Bench
Thats what amazes me, he's demanding that the club ante up for another year of big money for utter rubbish.

He does seem to realise that hes expected to perform to a level commesurate with his contract. He plays at a PL level on marquee money, a total disconnect between his expectations and what he offers the team.

This would be funny if it wasn't for the damage thats being wrought.

Misanthrope

Staff member
If anything, we should be suing him for false advertisement. We hired him under the impression he was a footballer, but it's clear that we could suit a cheerleader up and she'd prove a more effective addition to the side than he has.

I'm sure Kirk's a nice guy. Everything I've heard about him has confirmed that. But we're not playing in a National Nice Guy league. An easy smile and the ability to BBQ a good steak aren't going to win us any premierships. If Kirk was serious about wanting to stay at the club, he'd have pulled his thumb out of his ass and tried to recapture some of the form that enamoured Hagan of him a few years ago.

big boppa eel

Juniors
As a non knights, supporter I think u guys r right, he's not the worst footballer, but he sure isn't worth 200k, probabley the one thing smith can't be blamed for, just in closing I thought P Harragons comments were pretty pathetic shed no light whats so ever on what going on which I think is harsh on u guys want's to stay mates with everybody and be loved, in business this just doesn't work, good luck against the panthers, also did u guys sing R Fa aoso.

Spike

First Grade
According to someone in the Eels forum we've signed Fa aoso but nothing has been made official

Jono078

Referee
To be fair, in the article it doesnt mention that Kirk wants to take us to court or anything..

Just said some stupid Qld Lawyer contacted and suggested he should.

But this is beyond ridiculous. Never heard Carmont once complain when he was dropped...

If he wants to stay here he will have to take a paycut and then work his arse off if he wants to be in FG, otherwise it will be reserve grade for him.

el magic

Juniors
You can win in court

SHUNNED Newcastle forward Kirk Reynoldson is considering legal action against the Knights after being told he has a cut and dried case over his contract dispute.

A prominent Queensland lawyer has approached Reynoldson offering legal support. He has told him a court "won't have a bar" of the treatment he has received from the Knights.

Toowoomba-based lawyer Tom Sullivan said he plans to serve the Knights with a letter of demand tomorrow, insisting the club honours Reynoldson's contract for next season.

The Knights will be given 48 hours to respond or risk having the matter go to court.
"I've been watching the case and got in touch with Kirk because I believe he has been dudded by the club," Sullivan said. "There is no doubt the club has not acted fairly and I'm quite certain a court won't have a bar of it. I consider it a reasonably cut and dried case."

Reynoldson is one game shy of activating a retention clause for 2008 which is worth $200,000. He needs to play 15 games to reach the quota but was dropped by coach Brian Smith after playing his 14th game for the season, against Manly last weekend.

He was told he won't play in any grade against Penrith on Sunday. While the Knights' official line is that Reynoldson will be considered for first grade, like any other player, over the final two rounds, Smith has told the backrower he doesn't figure in his plans for 2008.
Sullivan said he has told Reynoldson he should strongly consider court action if the matter is not resolved in his favour.

"In the end, that will be up to Kirk to decide," Sullivan said. "I've read the NRL players' contract and, to be quite honest, it is a bit of a joke.

"It has 33 pages of player obligations but nothing about a club's obligations. Courts will always look to uphold the rights of the individual when they are not being treated fairly and this is an obvious case."

Sullivan said Reynoldson would not have a leg to stand on if he was playing abysmally and the team was winning.

"But that is clearly not the case and it comes down to Smith's poor management and poor people skills," he said. "He still hasn't given Kirk a reason why he hasn't been picked this weekend.
"We have had Laurie Daley come out on Fox Sports and say that Kirk deserves to be in the Knights' top 17 players. As I said, I believe it to be cut and dried.

"The club will be put on notice on Monday and we'll take it from there."
Reynoldson said the prospect of court action is something he is trying not to think about.
"I've been approached and asked to consider it, but I hope it doesn't have to come to that," Reynoldson said.

"This whole thing is chewing my guts up inside. I haven't been able to sleep at night worrying about everything. I hate even thinking about it, but I have been painted into a corner over all this."

Reynoldson confirmed he hasn't been given a reason for his sacking for today's game.
"I've spoken to the coach but there is still no clear indication of why I was dropped," he said.
Asked about his future, Reynoldson said: "There is nothing out there. I've made a lot of calls but it is just too late."

Source: www.foxsports.com.au/league

Misanthrope

Staff member
macavity pointed it out in the NRL forum, but the guy's specialties are real estate law and wills etc. Nothing about sports law or contract law. The guy's Lionel Hutz. I wonder if he has attorney/dumpster privilege too.

Serc

First Grade
Burraston came across well on the Sunday Footy Show earlier, Gilbert asked him a few questions on the Reynoldson thing. While it was the same sort of thing that's been said during the week it sounded quite professional.

lockyrulz

Juniors
Given their efforts this year, the knights should be sued for bringing the game into disrepute.

Christ what a bunch of stinkers...

Spitty

Juniors
Good on Reynoldson if he does sue the club. I don't think he's worth $200,000 either but like it or not the Knights put the clause in his contract for that money and stopping him on 14 games and then suddenly deciding he's not in good enough form won't stand up in court. I don't see why he should show faith to the club which is S***ting on him.

At the end of the day that $200,000 out of the pocket of the Reynoldson family and to Kirk I'm sure thats the team he needs to look after first and foremost. IMO he's got an excellent case.

Courts love facts and figures so when the issue arises as to form, it may come down to a subjective assessment of form which would be Statistic's. In Reynoldsons most recent performance he does pretty well in the stats. If it come's down to an objective assessment of form you can bet your rear end that Laurie Daley (A NSW selector) would be subpoena'd to give evidence and he has already made it quite clear that he feels that Reynoldson's form has been good enough. Who can the knights call to trump the opinion of a highly respected NSW selector.

With that in mind the court would likely rule against the dropping being related to form and therefor the only possible reason would be to treat the player unfairly.

aqua_duck

Coach
Spitty. TA. said:
Courts love facts and figures so when the issue arises as to form, it may come down to a subjective assessment of form which would be Statistic's. In Reynoldsons most recent performance he does pretty well in the stats. If it come's down to an objective assessment of form you can bet your rear end that Laurie Daley (A NSW selector) would be subpoena'd to give evidence and he has already made it quite clear that he feels that Reynoldson's form has been good enough. Who can the knights call to trump the opinion of a highly respected NSW selector.

With that in mind the court would likely rule against the dropping being related to form and therefor the only possible reason would be to treat the player unfairly.
The thing is a coach can drop a player for a variety of reasons, structure, form, etc, and form comes down to many aspects, not just stats. Smith could say he dropped reyno to make way for cory paterson, he can say he picked this player or that player ahead of paterson because of versatility, daley can be asked to give his opinion but at the end of the day he's got no involvement with the team and doesn't see what does or doesn't go on behind closed doors