What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kirk Reynoldson to take Knights to court

Spike

First Grade
According to tomorrow's SMH Kirk Reynoldson is preparing to take the Knights to court over his contract situation.

roopy

Referee
He will probably win and get more money for nothing from the club - but on the good side it should be outside our salary cap so we can piss him off and spend cap money on someone good.

otori

Juniors
The only reason they would settle this case would be to downplay the effect of the media but I doubt that really matters at this point. I haven't seen the contract but it would be incredibly easy for the Knights to prove that he was dropped on form. They don't even have to prove he's been playing badly, just that he was dropped on form and brought in other players. It's the coach's opinion.

roopy

Referee
otori said:
The only reason they would settle this case would be to downplay the effect of the media but I doubt that really matters at this point. I haven't seen the contract but it would be incredibly easy for the Knights to prove that he was dropped on form. They don't even have to prove he's been playing badly, just that he was dropped on form and brought in other players. It's the coach's opinion.
cost more to run the case than to settle - and i reckon it could go either way.

Ridders

Coach
i don't understand why the smith and the Newcastle board are getting so much sh*t for the Reynoldson. They obviously don't want him there next year, or at the very least not on $200 000, and while what their doing in terms of restricting him to 14 games may seem low and unethical, i don't see anything legally wrong with it.

It's a business and all their trying to do is protect their overall product. Lol probably wouldn't be thinking this way if i hadn't played Football Manager so much.

Nuffy

Bench
I think this confirms that professional NRL players are unbelievable.

The stark issue is that somehow Reynoldson thinks he is deserving of a 200k+ contract.

There is a total disconnect between his effort and expectation.

Simply, by paying this hack 200k+ per year, there is an expectation that he delivers performances commeasurated with his remuneration. By any measure, he has not done this, but still expects the club to honour a contract that he hasn't.

I think the Knights should see this for what it is, a threat for leverage, pure and simple. The constant stream of newspaper articles haven't worked so now hes moved to a threatened legal action hoping to leverage the club into a positive outcome.

I can't see how this has a hope in hell of succeeding, the coaches right to choose a team is absolute and you enter very dangerous territory when a clubs ability to select a player is called into question.

He's attitude isn't deserving of a FG spot and I hope they see him in court.

aqua_duck

Coach
Great clubman hey?This proves what the bearded idiot is all about $$$$$A great clubman wouldnt hold the club to randsom and expect the club to pay overs. Look he didn't have a contract for next year and still doesn't, he had a clause which hasn't been met, and if he takes it to court I hope we take him to the cleaners because I can't see how he can win. I mean we'll say he was dropped on form, now how does a magistrate rule otherwise, I mean a magistrate is not a football expert and Smith's coaching knowledge and experience speaks for itself

Burwood

Bench
This is getting all rather embarassing for Reynoldson. His first mistake was to not realise that Smith didn't want him at the club. Now he is going to take the club to court. Two surefire ways to kill your career.

Gene Krupa

Referee
aqua_duck said:
If lockyer cares so much about reyno he should get bennett to give a start

He seemed awfuly quiet when Bennet dropped Hodges for signing with the Roosters.

roopy

Referee
He has a case.
We signed the contract.
If he can convince a court that we are not naming him to diddle him out of money he is entitled to under the contract we signed he will win the case.
The fact that he has been getting twice what he is worth has nothing to do with it - it was a dud contract - but we signed it.
On the other hand - if he gets a contract somewhere else for less money, we can let him go and just pay him the difference - and it doesn't effect our salary cap because he isn't on our books - so if we can get him a 150k contract somewhere we can be rid of him for 90k of non salary cap money - and maybe we can send the bill to Hages and Sarge.

Gene Krupa

Referee
The SEO said on the radio last friday that he didn't have a contract for 2008. I'd believe him over the player every time.

Nuffy

Bench
Unless theres a specific clause which outlines the actual terms of his selection or states his automatic selection in FG pending injury, it remains to be seen how he could possible prove its about the money and not performance.

otori

Juniors
Why isn't there a huge thing about Penrith laying off players in the media? That's what I want to know. Why do we get persecuted for laying off players that have the barest of skill sets while Penrith fires most of the biggest names they have.

Eelectrica

Referee
Hope Renoldson gets his butt kicked in court if it goes that far. Coach has the right to pick any 17 contracted players he wants.

Sorry don't mean to invade, just saw this thread on the forums page and couldn't believe what I was reading.

Misanthrope

Staff member
What an ungrateful twat. We pay him three times what he's worth for the past few seasons despite his blatant mediocrity and complete and utter resemblance to a bearded pot-plant and he repays the club by dragging them into court for finally recognising that he's a footballing fraud.