What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kite back to Canberra-Strongly rumored on 10 News!!!!!

jed

First Grade
April fools day perhaps? Maybe 10 news haven't flipped over their desk calendars for a while.

I just heard on sports tonight, albeit through a fuzzy picture and crappy sound, fuzz, from st george illawarra has agreed to terms to join canberra next year, kite firman or head?

They must have some money laying around if they think they can resign monas, muss, and sign a halfback on top of signing kite

Paullyboy

Coach
Interesting story, I dont believe it though, and quite frankly dont want to believe it. We have no need for him whatsoever and he is extremely over rated.

Anonymous

Juniors
He'd cost a packet too, being an origin rep.....

All I can think is perhaps there's somthing we don't know? Perhaps Statue is retiring or Muss is off th England?

You have to look at this as a good thing!!! One of our own is returning home!!!

It'll make it hard to get Orford or Gidley.....Oh so much now rests on Carney...

Paullyboy

Coach
It worries me a lot, im terrified we may be seeing the end of Wiki - otherwise there is no need for Kite.

For whoever said we need someone for when Davico retires, how about the best young prop in the game, Michael Weyman!!!!

Deadset - im very, very unhappy about this. I think its the first time ive been upset about a signing.

I don't think anyone is going anywhere. I can see exactly why they'll sign kite. The depth in the forwards is far from great, whenever davico and o'hara go off everything goes to shit. A good playmaker needs a good pack.

Paullyboy

Coach
Rothery, Miller, Kahler have all done well when asked to step up
Hodgson, O'Hara, Hindmarsh all have plenty of time left with us hopefully
Weyman is the best young prop in the league
Wiki, Davico, Croker are all superstar veterans
Tyran Smith also has a hell of a lot of talent

It is a perfect pack, Kite doesnt fit into it

Yeah Weyman is going heaps good, his cheering from the sideline has been terrific. How about someone who can withstand injury for a week. I agree that he is a promising player but he is very inexperienced. At least Kite is from Canberra.

Paullyboy

Coach
Yeh I guess the other positive is the amount of money he'll be putting back into the Canberra economy thanks to the ridiculous exageratted pay check he is after (and apparantly has received from the Raiders)

Anonymous

Juniors
Well he can play front row/2nd row.

I can see a bench with him and Weyman, wtih an eventual move by one of them into the front row when Davico retires, and by another into the second row when Wiki gows.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
I for one am still in disbelief that Kite made Country Origin let alone the NSW team but I will go on record now:

BRENT KITE IS A GREAT SIGNING FOR THE TEAM.

Is he worth the 'reported' $$$? of course not, but is he a good signing? you better believe it.

If you recall had he not broken his leg (if this is the wrong injury correct me) he would've been in our top 25 the year before he went to the Dragons, we actually released him because of that injury and it appears coming home has a lot to do with him signing with the club again.

Like i say, not a fan of him in NSW colours BUT he has really developed as a prop at the Dragons THIS year, last year he was a hack in the 2nd row and made a thousand mistakes and hardly had a workrate. This year for some reason when he got shifted to prop he's become consistent and a reliable player - which I never thought he could be based on what I HAD seen.

Personally he's a strong runner with a handy offload, is ok in defence without dominating and can play 50-60 mins at club level without noticeably tiring. That being said like Rhino he looked gone after 5 mins of Origin but Gouldie kept him on for a long period after he got on the field. He's 23 (in 2004) so he's hardly a hasbeen type signing and should have his best years ahead.

The downside is this means Davico is going to be coaxed into retirement unless they believe Kite can play the same in the backrow. I don't think this will directly affect our chances of keeping Wiki, who HAS to be re-signed if Kite is to be worth signing. A pack with Wiki - will see Kite make a difference, a pack without Wiki will see Kite holding his own but not making a difference.

Also if Kite makes this move it shows other potential signings Canberra is a place people WANT to go to. Which is a far cry from this time last year.

Simon Hawkins - this move gets my seal of approval but make sure you don't stay pat and let others slip through the net or through your fingers on the market. Proactive signings will have an impact on our ONFIELD efforts this year - I guarantee it.

woodgers

Bench
Firstly, Tony Peters said it was RUMOURED Kite was coming to Canberra. I actually am beginning to rate him so I don't mind, however you wonder why they are buying another forward.

The other thing is that he is an Origin rep now, Even if he has only played the one game so I guess it adds to attracting other good quality players.

Am I the only one baffled by the June 30 anti-tampering policy?