What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwi bragging rights thread

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I guess they didn't need that Manu fella? ;-)

haha, you've got some balls bringing that up. You tried to make out I was mentally deranged for suggesting Petero's best days were behind him. 3 weeks later he's left out of the 17 and Petero himself admitted he wasn't up to it anymore! Give me some credit champ, that was the call of the century :cool:

Congrats Kiwis.

Gave us another fingerblast in the big game.

Lolz at Sheens talking tough at the start of the series about competition for spots and how easily they'd be replaced if not up to it.

Then to go ahead and replace a winning team with a losing one.

A masterstroke.

Thanks for not getting Nightingale injured, ya sheep shaggin.... Oh wait...

The Observer

Staff member
one offs mean sfa spud, the poms wont play them anymore and its about time the NZRL followed suit and told aussie to get f**ked.

TBF, the Kiwis have rarely been allowed a full preparation with the whole test squad for the ANZAC test, and that has arguably contributed significantly to the losses. The NZRL could request that the test be given the respect it deserves as a showpiece event in the RL calendar, and as the most inclusive and representative celebration of a day of cultural significance to both countries. Having access to their NRL players a full 7 days before the test would help (and allowing them not to play an NRL game 7 days before or after), and having the test actually staged on ANZAC Day (as it was in 1997) would also give the game a higher profile.

The 18th Man

Juniors
haha, you've got some balls bringing that up. You tried to make out I was mentally deranged for suggesting Petero's best days were behind him. 3 weeks later he's left out of the 17 and Petero himself admitted he wasn't up to it anymore! Give me some credit champ, that was the call of the century :cool:

Balls bringing that up? :? Get over yourself. You were the one sprouting how bad the Kiwis were minus Manu in their side and now they have won the Four Nations.

I conceeded after last week's game that I reluctantly agreed that Petero wasn't able to keep out young guys in the form of Shillington, Scott and Learoyd-Lahrs.

Call of the century? No, not really :lol: Your opinion came from your head not your heart as mine did. I paid the comment. Well done. Let's not overstate anything, it's only an opinion.

Edit: My bad, I made a post here re: the debate you had with some of us Aussie Petero fans:

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=373053 re: Civoniceva rep career over?

Two weeks ago I'd argue no (I did as much with a Kiwi fan who pointed out Petero wasn't offering much and was an easy target comparing to years gone by)...I conceed, I might be wrong there after witnessing the Petero tonight and then comparing that too the young Bulls in Shillington, Scott and TLL. With that said, I don't write off champions.

Tonight might force his hand in any rep retirements though. Keep in mind, Ben Hannant will be ready to make a claim for a spot in the rotation with Shillington and Scott.

I'd adopt a wait and see approach. Petero will be there for the Final and I'd be interested to see how he starts 2011. I'd bet he will leave egg on some faces of critics.
Credit where credit is due though, you made an astute observation and ultimately it proved to be true. You were in the minority and you stuck to your guns to be proven correct in this instance. I reluctantly agree after the effort he had against NZ before the final.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Honestly from my opinion, tonight's result just goes to show why mid-year Tests need to be removed. NZ has now won the 05 Tri-Nations, gone to golden point in 06, won the 08 World Cup and 10 Four Nations, but because of the mid-year tests, their record against Australia looks pretty average....

pfffft... Because of these ridiculous series "finals" Australia's record is looking shakey. We keep losing them so I don't think we should play them anymore :sarcasm:

Butters

Bench
pfffft... Because of these ridiculous series "finals" Australia's record is looking shakey. We keep losing them so I don't think we should play them anymore :sarcasm:

International series shouldn't have a "final" anyway, it lowers the value of the other tests played in the series. Australia's win last week virtually counts for nothing now.

Australia and NZ both beat each other once in the 4 nations and yet NZ win the series. Its a terrible format.

The only international comp that should have a final is the world cup.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Yeah and flag the premiership finals too - its all about the minor premiership o_O

Stuff the big games... leave those for world cups....

Ridiculous idea. You really want to decide a competition by whether you beat PNG by 40 or 60 points?

adamkungl

Immortal
Yeah and flag the premiership finals too - its all about the minor premiership o_O

Stuff the big games... leave those for world cups....

Ridiculous idea. You really want to decide a competition by whether you beat PNG by 40 or 60 points?

Well, I was being sarcastic in response to the claim that we shouldnt play one-offs because NZ keep losing

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Yeah - I know. It was Butters post that got my back up, not yours.

Butters said:
International series shouldn't have a "final" anyway, it lowers the value of the other tests played in the series.
Like regular season versus finals right?

Butters said:
Australia's win last week virtually counts for nothing now.
You do realise everyone else knew BEFORE that game that it was a dead rubber.... I do not understand how you are surprised post the final now that last week's game counted for nothing.

Butters said:
Australia and NZ both beat each other once in the 4 nations and yet NZ win the series. Its a terrible format.
Why do you think the final should only have the same weight as the round robin/pool games? I cannot comprehend this...

Butters said:
"The only international comp that should have a final is the world cup."

Ridiculous.Does that mean the warriors should have the 2002 premiership?

Last edited:

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Balls bringing that up? :? Get over yourself. You were the one sprouting how bad the Kiwis were minus Manu in their side and now they have won the Four Nations.

I conceeded after last week's game that I reluctantly agreed that Petero wasn't able to keep out young guys in the form of Shillington, Scott and Learoyd-Lahrs.

Call of the century? No, not really :lol: Your opinion came from your head not your heart as mine did. I paid the comment. Well done. Let's not overstate anything, it's only an opinion.

Edit: My bad, I made a post here re: the debate you had with some of us Aussie Petero fans:

Credit where credit is due though, you made an astute observation and ultimately it proved to be true. You were in the minority and you stuck to your guns to be proven correct in this instance. I reluctantly agree after the effort he had against NZ before the final.

thanks (I think)

Well done to the Kiwis for making the most of Australia's injuries. 5 of the world's best players unavailable for Australia while 2 of the series' best get injured halfway through the game. They will never get this same opportunity again so congrats on them for making the international game seem a bit more respectable for one final year before Australia begin their phase 2 of dominance.

And if I was a NZ fan I wouldn't be too proud knowing the 3 trophies they've won have been when Australia are at their weakest. You see what happens when the Kangaroos have their stars fit, its complete Kiwi floggings each and every time. And while NZ win the odd lucky game or two every now & then, Australia are still ranked #1 in the world which means they're still the world's best team. 1 or 2 wins over the last decade doesnt erase the thrashings Australia have been serving them for the last 50 years.
Pritchard, Vatuvei, Moimoi, Tuiaki, Foran NZ had injuries too you know

Mooloochief

Juniors
Mooloo, before you attempt to call me on my own comprehension, you might want to brush up on your own. I never accused you personally of bragging about illegal plays. My comment (and entire point) was about this thread. In your reply to one of my posts you claim that I said that NZ should not be proud. I'd like you to find a quote where I've said this.

I ignored this comment because it relies on very simple and specious reasoning. Your premise appears to be that Australia should be dominant purely on depth alone, and ignores the factors of coaching, flexible gameplans, players turning up on the day, injuries, yes refereeing etc. I don't consider it an argument worthy of reply. But hey, it's your opinion and you are entitled to express it. Just don't expect me to entertain it.

I could be off the mark, but I'm guessing it's an argument you may have whipped out after the 58-0 slaughtering in 2007.

And lol at "marginal".
Moolooy, I appreciate your misguided sympathy, but it really is unwarranted. I have no pain about the loss. If I had pain, I might be making derogatory comments like some certain NZ fans did in these forums last weekend.[/QUOTE

Well thanks for replying anyway. We as a nation expect our top teams/sports people to compete with Australia all of the time, and we give our teams a hard time when we don't despite the numerical advantage Australia enjoys. A common statement here is we aren't as mentally tough as the Aussies. If you took 100 Aussies and 100 Kiwis, you would find the same number mentally tough people. If you have 6 x the national population, you have 6 times the likelihood of finding someone who has the complete package - skill, discipline, genetics, conducive upbringing and exposure to that sport, AND mental toughness. If you have 29 times the playing base in a sport, you should be beating us by 58-0 all of the time. If the All Blacks lost to Fiji in two critical matches (even in a friendly), heads would roll. Because with the difference in population base and playing numbers, they shouldn't come near us - and they don't. You obviously don't have the same expectations of your teams.