What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwi team for ANZAC Test..

hutch

First Grade
You answered your own question. If his parents were born in the Cooks then they will have NZ citizenship. Similar to aussies born in Tassie.

but the cook islands is not nz? tasmania is a state of australia, i dont see the similarities.

also, the cook islands have their own international team, which can potentially play against nz in the world cup or other tests/tournaments. nz are better off not picking players like this, it is a blight on the international game.

D

Deleted member 10972

I can't remember the last time NZ were at full-strength, seriously.

You have to question the pride of some of these players.

A 100% fit NZ pack of Lima, Luke, Asotasi, Blair, Mannering, Smith...with Glenn, Pritchard, Moimoi and Rapira on the bench, would have a serious chance of knocking the Aussies off the park. As talented as Harrison, Nuuausala, Waerea-Hargreaves, Manu and all them are, they wouldn't crack the team if NZ were actually at full strength for a change.

roopy

Referee
Taia had his first decent game of the year this week after off season shoulder surgery.
If he is back to his best he will go really well.
He was one of the form players in the comp last year.

hutch

First Grade
http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-league-news/taia-hopes-make-all-right-moves-3521105

Unheralded Newcastle back rower Zeb Taia is in his element roaming on the fringes weighing up an offload, or if need be muscling up to defend the middle of the park.
But where the haka is concerned, the first time Kiwi will probably be found out the back of the New Zealand formation before tomorrow's Anzac Test at AAMI Park.
As Taia assimilates to the Kiwis environment for the first time - seven months after a shoulder reconstruction delayed his introduction via the Four Nations - absorbing the gameplan against Australia is not his only concern.
The pre-match challenge will be a test in itself.
"I know the words, but the actions are all over the place," a bashful Taia confessed.
Born in Sydney's west 26 years ago to Cook Islanders Tepe and Terekino, Taia's rudimentary knowledge of the Maori ritual is excusable - and at least his heart is in the right place.
Like many footballers with links to both sides of the Tasman - he qualifies for the Kiwis through his parents - Taia was briefly conflicted last year when he was mentioned in dispatches for the NSW City v Country State of Origin trial.

"When I was young, with my upbringing, our family just supported New Zealand all the way, whenever they played," he explained.
"I said to Mum and Dad what do I do? City has come knocking on my door. They had a word in my ear."
Newcastle's then-coach Brian Smith reckoned Taia had made the right call and it was vindicated when Kiwis coach Stephen Kearney confirmed Taia was a definite for the Four Nations squad had he not dislocated his right shoulder during a sterling campaign with the Knights.
Taia played 24 games in 2009, was the leading offloader with 40 and averaged 109.8 metres go-forward per match - the Knights' best yardage man behind fullback Kirk Gidley and wing Akuila Uate.
Although Newcastle are unfashionable these days in the post Johns-era, workaholic Taia's stats did not go unnoticed.
"Zeb's form was outstanding last year and he's picked up where he left off," Kearney said.
"This is a great opportunity for him."
The wait has been worth it for Taia, a Parramatta junior who languished in reserve grade at the Eels before heading north to Newcastle in 2008, where he was judged player of the year.
The Knights' 2010 campaign started ominously when forwards Danny Wicks and Chris Houston were accused of drug dealing, but Taia has helped alleviate the gloom.
Knights coach Rick Stone said it was a "special time" when Newcastle were told of Taia's selection.
"He had to make the tough choice of putting club before country at the end of last year when he had that shoulder surgery and he did that because he knew where his bread was buttered," Stone said.
"We were hoping he'd get another opportunity and I'm really happy for him that that's come about."
Kearney rang Taia with the good news late on Friday after the Knights had upset the Broncos, but he was still to learn what role was in store for him in a match-day 17 that features Warriors hooker Aaron Heremaia as the other debutant.
"Hopefully I'll be somewhere on the edges but I can play in the middle too," he said.
"I've played a couple of games there for Newcastle this year. I know it gets a bit tiring in there it's a job you've got to do."
But first there is the time-consuming task of mastering the haka.
"I know there's an initiation where you do it in front of the boys," said Taia, who added unconvincingly: "I can't wait."

sorry but i still cant see how he is allowed to be picked for the kiwis. just because his family supported them doesnt make him a new zealander!

Evil Homer

Staff member
Hutch raises a good point about the Cooks team though. If they all qualify for NZ, then we're basically in a stupid NZ Maori-type situation (albeit not as ridiculous) where we have an area that is represented by two national teams. This is a joke, especially if they are automatics for the WC. I can't say I'm surprised that the 'international federation' has overlooked this though.

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
Hutch raises a good point about the Cooks team though. If they all qualify for NZ, then we're basically in a stupid NZ Maori-type situation (albeit not as ridiculous) where we have an area that is represented by two national teams. This is a joke, especially if they are automatics for the WC. I can't say I'm surprised that the 'international federation' has overlooked this though.
its the same in RU and every other sport. Its just the relationship between the Cooks & NZ.

The same with Islands like New Caledonia & France.

The Clan

Juniors
Who is there in the SL that could be in contention?

There's only three or four at most but here's my best guess at a NZ SL based team

1. Webb
2. Meli
3. Sa
4. Carmont
5. Webster
6. Chase
7. Leuluai
8. K Leuluai
9. Faiumu
10. Lauaki
11. Pulatua
12. Fa'alogo