What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis ANZAC Squad?

hitman82

Bench
Very fair points. Kearney tries to be consistent in his selections, which is one of the reasons I like Cleary.
But it's even more applicable in Test footy where the team very seldom play or train together. I hereby fold my complaints haha.

worier

Juniors
Well, there are 12 interchanges in international footy, so Beastwood will probably get regular rotation. Tough on Lewis, but I guess the coach is putting a bit of trust in guys who have done it for us before. i.e. Bronson as foil to Blair, and Mannering's success in containing Inglis. I think the lineup is probably spot on.

I belive Matai had him coverd in the last VB test (last time Inglis played Int footy) Mannering was injured. I don't think Mannering has marked up against Inglis either.

Matai really should be there one of our inform centres probably one of our only inform centres.

Last edited:

devoid

Juniors
I belive Matai had him coverd in the last VB test (last time Inglis played Int footy) Mannering was injured. I don't think Mannering has marked up against Inglis either.

Matai really should be there one of our inform centres probably one of our only inform centres.

Yeah I just saw this earlier - my bad. I know Mannering is some pretty handy glue, and I love the job he does for us at the Warriors in both the second row and at center, but tbh I would pick Matai in the centers over Simon. I guess Kearney likes the job Simon does, and the fact that our past two wins against Australia have come come with Simon out there.

ozbash

Referee
Lewis Brown could be in line for a Kiwi debut tonight, Stuff can exclusively reveal, with doubts over Greg Eastwood's fitness emerging.
Fairfax has learned that Eastwood may not play in tonight's test because of renewed problems with the wrist injuries that prevented him playing at all this season until a fortnight ago.
But it's understood Adam Blair will be fit to take his place in the backrow despite an ankle injury that placed him in doubt, and the vice-captain underwent a fitness test this morning.
But the Kiwis are refusing to confirm their side until an hour before kickoff or even discuss how Blair faired this morning.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/4967599/Lewis-Brown-in-frame-for-Kiwis-debut

Micistm

Bench
Every year I get pumped for this. Every year I think it's going to be different, while we may not win we're going to front up. And every year it's the same game.

The big talk-the easy start to the Aussies through an error-glimpses of hope to keep you interested-more handing to the aussies on a plate through dumb mistakes- the commentators creaming about slater despite not doing a massive amount to make the blood pressure go up-good defence to keep us in it and make you think there's a chance-dumb mistakes ball security and no one fronting and heading forward to really give the aussies a decent game-the token try at the end after all hopes gone to make you wonder what might have been.

Heartbreaking, and I'm still dumb enough to stick 10 on em at the TAB. I don't understand why they are just not fired, and really fired as the ANZAC trophy would be the one to really stick it to the Aussies and complete the silverware.

Frustrating, because Aussie weren't that good, we just handed it to them. We are better than that! Or maybe we aren't and just think we are, as we keep making these shocking errors in this midyear game, they don't. Gutted.

Meth

Staff member
The loss of Rapira in the opening minute was massive. Put us literally on the back foot for the rest of the game. Moimoi and McKendry just weren't going to be able to play the minutes and put in the work that we needed them to from there

Matua

Bench
Every year I get pumped for this. Every year I think it's going to be different, while we may not win we're going to front up. And every year it's the same game.

The big talk-the easy start to the Aussies through an error-glimpses of hope to keep you interested-more handing to the aussies on a plate through dumb mistakes- the commentators creaming about slater despite not doing a massive amount to make the blood pressure go up-good defence to keep us in it and make you think there's a chance-dumb mistakes ball security and no one fronting and heading forward to really give the aussies a decent game-the token try at the end after all hopes gone to make you wonder what might have been.

Heartbreaking, and I'm still dumb enough to stick 10 on em at the TAB. I don't understand why they are just not fired, and really fired as the ANZAC trophy would be the one to really stick it to the Aussies and complete the silverware.

Frustrating, because Aussie weren't that good, we just handed it to them. We are better than that! Or maybe we aren't and just think we are, as we keep making these shocking errors in this midyear game, they don't. Gutted.
Errors, errors, errors by the Kiwis won the game for the Ockers - shit even Lockyer admitted as much.

Even when we went down early on I thought that we'd come back, but I didn't reckon on the droppsies for the entire second half.

Oh well, hopefully they schedule that late in the year match so we can pick a completely form team and actually win the bloody thing.

Warmess

Juniors
Yep, the forwards were very average in attack. No punch to them at all. Losing Rapira in the first tackle sucks.

Hopefully come the end of the year we'll have Hoffman/Fish at the back. Hohaia was pretty awful, and when he did something decent he made up for it by making a poor decision a few seconds later. Aside from him I think the Warriors boys had a decent night. Matulino had a massive defensive game and Brown looked professional on his debut.

Disappointing to lose the way we did, but as Benji said in the post match interview, there's definitely something there and if we didn't spill those balls we could have very easily won that game. The gap in one offs is getting smaller!

Micistm

Bench
Errors, errors, errors by the Kiwis won the game for the Ockers - shit even Lockyer admitted as much.

Even when we went down early on I thought that we'd come back, but I didn't reckon on the droppsies for the entire second half.

Oh well, hopefully they schedule that late in the year match so we can pick a completely form team and actually win the bloody thing.

Yeah, really thought they'd sort their shit out in the second. Sadly it got worse:?

Revelation 3:20

Juniors
Apart from the error count, I reckon the Aussies have lost their Aura and Kiwis believe they can win, some patches there the Kiwis looked good. Losing Sam didn't help.
End of the year boys!

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
The forwards were awful

Well they werent awful.

Aussies line speeds was too good.
They were leaving to early every tackle and with one ref aussie got away with it the whole game.
With line speed that 'quick' kiwis are better off picking every stocky ball of muscle they can.

The one ref just let the aussies slow the play the ball down to a shit speed = shit football especially for tv imo it was a bore-fest.

guys like harrison & mannering would have made ashit load of tackles and covered massive amount of meteers.
watch how many time both are on the opposite side of the field.

Iafeta

Referee
Hopefully now the selectors get off the acid and start selecting fair dinkum teams. There is no way known to mankind that Fuifui Moimoi and Sam McKendry could possibly have been in the propping rotation. They've been mud all year. To think that perhaps the Kiwis best in Sharky wasn't even in the 17 and yet Eastwood who's barely played this year was? We're not at that stage anymore where we need to make such ridiculous selections. We have a considerable number of good players who should have been in their place. Pritchard finally seems to be in form, so we drop him?

I don't know if we had the spark to beat the Australians in that test, but, the fact is that essentially Australia won off the back of soft soft turnovers, and the majority of those came from blokes who should thank the man above for getting a shot in the first place.

I thought most of the Warriors played good games. Mannering had his best game this year and seemed to be punching through the middle of the ruck well at times, Brown another good game, Matulino played big minutes and I thought he was quite effective. Lance... a couple of soft errors. Rapira unfortunately didn't get much of a chance. Foran has that rare touch of class, the rest though had bog standard matches.

TurtleWarrior

Juniors
Frustrating how we lost that one but can't knock them too much. There's isn't much between the two now and I thought that showed. Our dropped balls being the difference.
Thought Benji went missing in the second half and our kicking in the first was average! How many of our kicks went straight to hands?!
I'm over Hohaia. Gave him a chance even tho I'm not a fan but that should be his last test. Inu would have been more effective than Duffie. Apart from a dropped ball, Nightingale was solid. Mannering was massive and contained Hodges very well. Kenny-Dowall was decent, although not his linebreaking best. Rapira's only carry of the game was awesome. Think Luke had maybe one good run, but Fien was better - altho did shit all attacking. Matulino was the mantis - that offload near the end of the game from the dropout was class and goes to show he's gaining some confidence after a slow start to the season. McKendry didn't have an impact and apart from a good couple of runs, so was MoiMoi. Smith was my fav for Kiwis player of the day. Brown was great and should be in the 17 for years to come if he can continue his form. Blair was shit and didn't notice Harrison apart from the drop ball.
So I rekon we played ok and seeing as we lost by only 10points with all the drop ball we had, not too disheartened. Think a few of the guys will be gone come end of year tests so looking forward to that.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Well they werent awful.

Aussies line speeds was too good.
They were leaving to early every tackle and with one ref aussie got away with it the whole game.
With line speed that 'quick' kiwis are better off picking every stocky ball of muscle they can.

The one ref just let the aussies slow the play the ball down to a shit speed = shit football especially for tv imo it was a bore-fest.

guys like harrison & mannering would have made ashit load of tackles and covered massive amount of meteers.
watch how many time both are on the opposite side of the field.

Zero aggression in them mate. No straight hard runs, no attempts at putting on any sort of hits etc