What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwi's in the Kangaroo's

blacksockguy

Juniors
I wonder what Australians think when NZ'rs are picked in Australian teams when there is an obvious overflow of Australian talent and Kiwi's get picked ahead of them?
Especially when theres not enough talent in NZ...
Australia could have picked 3 teams as good as the team fielded in Wellington and when Karmichael Hunt is fit again will he take back the fullback position?
His reasoning for playing for Australia is so he can play Origin.
Just because Origin is considered the holy grail international football is missing out - particularly for NZ.
Maybe Origin Laws need to be relaxed for the greater good of the game?
Keep the law about where you play your first game of footy, thereby enabling kiwi hopefuls to still play in Origin, but still allow them to play for the country where they were born...
Or is it that Karmichael is just a bloody Traitor!
I dont really blame him but good luck trying to get back in the Aussie side when they already have a dozen backs that could play anywhere... What do true blooded Australians think about a kiwi getting in an Australian team ahead of an Aussie?!
From NZ's point of view they could really do with him!
Is it better to play international footy regardless of who you play for than not?!?
Or is it only worth playing International footy when your playing for the Kangaroo's!!!

Frailty

First Grade
blacksockguy said:
I wonder what Australians think when NZ'rs are picked in Australian teams when there is an obvious overflow of Australian talent and Kiwi's get picked ahead of them?
Australia could have picked 3 teams as good as the team fielded in Wellington and when Karmichael Hunt is fit again will he take back the fullback position?
Just because Origin is considered the holy grail international football is missing out - particularly for NZ.
Keep the law about where you play your first game of footy, thereby enabling kiwi hopefuls to still play in Origin, but still allow them to play for the country where they were born...
I dont really blame him but good luck trying to get back in the Aussie side when they already have a dozen backs that could play anywhere... What do true blooded Australians think about a kiwi getting in an Australian team ahead of an Aussie?!
Is it better to play international footy regardless of who you play for than not?!?
Or is it only worth playing International footy when your playing for the Kangaroo's!!!

This can only be done if both Australia and New Zealand do not use players who would be otherwise eligble for Tonga, Fiji, PNG, and Somoa.

Let's not forget its not just NZs playing for Australia... What about Covell!

Azkatro

First Grade
Frailty said:
This can only be done if both Australia and New Zealand do not use players who would be otherwise eligble for Tonga, Fiji, PNG, and Somoa.

Let's not forget its not just NZs playing for Australia... What about Covell!
Yes. Covell siding with the Kiwis I think is the death knell for Australian rugby league.

adamkungl

Immortal
Azkatro said:
Yes. Covell siding with the Kiwis I think is the death knell for Australian rugby league.

Next Scott Minto will be declaring his allegiance to England by great great grandparent! Oh the horror, how will Australian league survive!

eels_fan_01

Bench
I wonder what Kiwis think when all their players are from the pacific islands, same thing as Aussies if they win and wear there jumper with pride, they dont give a f**k. Stupid thread.

Charlie124

First Grade
cutie playing for Aus/QLD is a disgrace, whats worse is that there are plenty of better players ahead of him even if he wasn't a Kiwi, yet he still gets the nod.

But its not just Kiwis in the Aussie team, Brent Webb is from Mt. Isa, QLD isn't he?

Theres a number of questionable eligibilities but at the end of the day International RL is a bit of a joke, its never going to be as big or as important as State of Origin so i couldn't care less about it, todays game shows exactly how big the gulf in talent between the International teams is.

Shorty

Staff member
Wasn't long before this is dug up again.

Hunt can play where he chooses - He has been in Australia for a number of years now and had the ability to pick either and he chose Australia,end of story.

I mean if you really want to get nit picky,half of the Kiwis camp would be toast.
How many of the squad are actually from New Zealand,not Tonga,not Samoa - New Zealand?

I really don't understand why this is still being whinged about - To me this doesn't appear to be really about Hunt it's about jealousy of Australia's depth and blaming Hunt's decision on Australia.

You never hear anyone from Australia whinging about Aussies playing for the Kiwis,Fien etc.

And you say Hunt chose to play for Australia to play Origin.
I'm not in Covell's head but I'm pretty sure the bloke played for Country,he's an Australian but it seems to me he may have decided to be a Kiwi because he has more chance of getting into the side.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
The big problem atm is Australians playing for NZ

The lack of passion probably doesn't do us any favours

Not just the obvious ones like Covell and Fien, but recently the likes of Pritchard, Roberts, Webster, and even the "culturally confused" like Moimoi....I also wonder how much passion Krisnan Inu has for the jersey when he grew up in NSW with his good Aussie mates Israel Folau and Jarryd Hayne...

badav

Bench
blacksockguy said:

Actually Karmichael Hunt's hunt has stated that his reason for playing for Australia is because he was developed by the system in this country and that he felt he owed them.

Secondly, how many Tongans, Somoans, and aussies are playing in the NZ team! They have just as many if not more 'borrowed' players than Australia.

A bigger problem for the kiwi's is the amount of players they produce that don't have the ticker to cut it in the NRL and weasel off to the ESL to play out their career in a 2nd rate competition, and hence pretty much get ignored from selection.

blacksockguy

Juniors
What I was getting at was how do true blooded Australians feel when one of their blokes misses out because of a Kiwi!
I dont blame him for playng for Australia, but I feel for the blokes missing out if he does come back in! It must be doing Billy Slaters head in for example!

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
badav said:
Secondly, how many Tongans, Somoans, and aussies are playing in the NZ team! They have just as many if not more 'borrowed' players than Australia.

Agree re: Aussies but the "Tongans and Samoans" stuff is garbage. The "Islanders" in the NZ team are either from Australia or New Zealand (too many from Australia for my liking....)

God-King Dean

Immortal
You know what's really sad.

These New Zealanders according to you, want to play for Australia more than their own country :lol:

nqboy

First Grade
Not sure if this would work, but I've always wondered why we can't have dual registration for things like World Cups where players who have played for NZ in the past can be picked by the PI sides if they don't make the Kiwi side. Obviously, there are some big issues to be worked through in regards to who they can play for in the lead up games, they couldn't just switch back and forth, but for the WC I think it would be okay.

In response to the original question, I feel sad. I would rather have everybody repping for their own country and while I do realise the lines get blurred in some cases, there are many others where it very clear cut and it should not be allowed.

Having said that, I'm delighted that GI joe and Izzy have chosen to play for Qld in Origin so I'm being a bit hypocritical there. The only difference I would argue is that Joe, for e.g., grew up supporting and wanting to play for Qld. I don't understand it myself but I have a T.I. mate, born and raised in FNQ, who is a mad Raider and Blue, so I know it is possible.

Being a Qlder is a feeling, you know because your maroon heart beats and you can't fake it (Polla-Mounter, I'm looking at you!). If cutie had expressed that sort of emotion about being a Qlder or Australian, I would warmly endorse him but, if he has, I haven't seen it. IIRC, it was more about the Broncos influence and his desire to compete at the highest level, Origin, that triggered his decision.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
God-King Dean said:
You know what's really sad.

These New Zealanders according to you, want to play for Australia more than their own country :lol:

Who are these so called "Kiwis turning their back on their country ?"

We have guys born in Australia, such as the Cayless brothers, and I think Pritchard.. who turn their backs on their country to play for NZ.

Other than Hunt, every other guy has an Australian accent.. and Hunt has been in Australia since he was 11.

nqboy

First Grade
The other part is how I feel about the likes of Brent Webb and Nathan Fein going off to play for the Kiwis. I don't think it's right but good luck to them in furthering their career. The test for me would come if Qld produced someone like Inglis and he wanted to go play for NSW. My attitude up to now has always been, "f**k off then, if you can't feel your maroon heart beating inside your chest, you're no use to us." But that would be severely tested if Qld were in a slump and our Great White Hope tossed it in to play for the enemy.

I like to think I'd have the same attitude but I guess I won't know for sure until it happens.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Manu Vatuvei said:
The big problem atm is Australians playing for NZ

The lack of passion probably doesn't do us any favours

Not just the obvious ones like Covell and Fien, but recently the likes of Pritchard, Roberts, Webster, and even the "culturally confused" like Moimoi....I also wonder how much passion Krisnan Inu has for the jersey when he grew up in NSW with his good Aussie mates Israel Folau and Jarryd Hayne...

dont throw webster name in there - his dads maori that is instance connection to NZ. Also read an article in a report about maori living in Oz. Talked about webster and how his dad has raised him always to support the all blacks, kiwis and that he was always to strive to do the same etc. His dad is also the one who wrote to the selectors/coaches (in his debut season) to say he was a kiwi.

Roberts - yep suspect to say the least. still waiting to hear how he is even eligible for the team - never heard if one parent was actually born in NZ or she was simply a resident in otara - we all know that it is often used purely as a stopoff destination.

And krisnan Inu - your kidding right b'coz he is friends with hayne and folau that question his kiwi-ness.

Watching the game was quite funny - Westfield boys were are the game cheering out aussie aussie oi oi oi etc. But looking at them there were only 3 out of 30 or so who were european australians.
They sung the aussie anthem then a large majority of the same guys then sung the kiwi anthem.lol

Dont blame those Pacific Islanders who are eligible for both NZ and Aussie selecting NZ - they see a team full of 'brown boys' who generally play a more similar type of football and have a team culture much like the mixture of those which are in their cultural makeup.

Half of the junior kiwi team would have made the starting lineup for aussie had they put their name forward.

A Few of junior kangaroo team have already expressed their desire to play for kiwis.

Latest posts