What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis squad announced

Matua

Bench
Huh? What is this?

Edit: Read online it's a year out WTG. Not sure why they named Schuster, he's an Aussie.

Last edited:

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Mulitalo has said on Instagram that he wants to play for the Kiwis. Mad, since we are literally his 4th choice - he has already played for Samoa and the USA and before being ruled ineligible he clearly stated his desire to represent Queensland/Australia.

I wonder if he actually preferred NZ over Australia and was just drawn to State of Origin, or if he is just giving up because it's too hard to make the Australian side?

Never mind that he absolutely is a Kiwi, because it seems like anyone with Polynesian heritage in rugby league these days has decided they're not Kiwis anymore, and supposedly this is a good thing for international RL. I don't get it but here we are.

jaseg

Juniors
I find it mildly interesting that they bothered naming Schuster (provided he has, as reported, decided on NSW) but not Utoikamanu.

Matua

Bench
Mulitalo has said on Instagram that he wants to play for the Kiwis. Mad, since we are literally his 4th choice - he has already played for Samoa and the USA and before being ruled ineligible he clearly stated his desire to represent Queensland/Australia.

I wonder if he actually preferred NZ over Australia and was just drawn to State of Origin, or if he is just giving up because it's too hard to make the Australian side?

Never mind that he absolutely is a Kiwi, because it seems like anyone with Polynesian heritage in rugby league these days has decided they're not Kiwis anymore, and supposedly this is a good thing for international RL. I don't get it but here we are.
I assume you mean PI as opposed to Polynesian?

TBF, the Samoan's don't seem to want to leave as much as they Tongans, aside from Judas Taupau.

Unsurprisingly, the Aussies and the Brits are fine with NZ players declaring for the islands.

I find it mildly interesting that they bothered naming Schuster (provided he has, as reported, decided on NSW) but not Utoikamanu.
Maybe they've just decided to give up on the Tongans and they're all in the Judas basket?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Unsurprisingly, the Aussies and the Brits are fine with NZ players declaring for the islands.

There now seems to be a prevailing attitude that every Kiwi with a Samoan or Tongan grandparent has a moral obligation to play for Samoa or Tonga. I know it's none of my business but I hate it. Seems perversely regressive while being touted as progress.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach

Utoikamanu was named on the extended bench for NSW in Game 3 this year so I guess he's gone

I don't want Ronaldo. He can stay with his Maroon blazer checking himself in the mirror.

If we named Schuster, then we should name Sitili Tupouniua as well, but I guess we're just ruling out all Tongans now.

Toa Samoa admin are not well liked by a lot of the Samoan players (their most senior player in Soliola has refused to play for them for years) so I think we'll see a lot of them stick with us, as they should.

Rich102

Staff member
It's farewell to one of the greatest Kiwis teams – that we never got to see.

This Tuesday marks two years since the Kiwis last took the field, robbing a golden generation of the chance to shine.

The Covid-19 pandemic has deprived us of many things, including jobs, freedom, health and interpersonal connections, so it can seem churlish to be talking about sport.

But it's a big part of our lives and has been drastically affected since March 2020, from the grassroots to the professional game.

Among our national elite teams, rugby league has been the hardest hit.

The All Blacks have faced complications but will play their 20th Covid-period test on Sunday. The Black Caps, currently at the Twenty20 World Cup, hosted Australia, Pakistan, Bangladesh and the West Indies last summer.

The Silver Ferns have had seven internationals this year, while our top footballers featured at the Tokyo Olympics and the All Whites play Gambia next Wednesday.

But the Kiwis have disappeared.

The black and white V was last seen in action on November 9, 2019, in the second test victory over Great Britain in Christchurch.

They may play in June 2022 – if a mid-year test can be wedged into the season – but the most probable scenario sees the Kiwis on ice until the Rugby League World Cup next year (October and November).

For league diehards, it's a crying shame, with the undeniable feeling that history could have been made with the current crop.

Over the years, the best Kiwis sides have always been like comets; they burn brightly for a while, but their dominance is hard to sustain, mainly because of Australia's massive player pool, resources and infrastructure, which makes any success even more special.

Golden spells have lasted two or three years, before the Kangaroos (or occasionally England) rose back to the top.

In 1983, Graham Lowe's team shocked Australia at Lang Park, then swept Great Britain 3-0 the following year.

They were irresistible in 1985 - highlighted by an 18-0 win over the Kangaroos - and unlucky not to win series against both great rivals. But they never reached the same heights again in the 1980s.

There was another peak period between 1996 and 1999 under Frank Endacott, with three victories over Australia and an unbeaten tour of England.

Brian McClennan's team stunned the Kangaroos in 2005 and went close a year later, before the 2008 World Cup and the 2010 Four Nations were claimed under Stephen Kearney.

A fallow period followed, before a wonderful nine months across 2014-2015, when the Kiwis claimed the Four Nations with a 100 per cent record and an Anzac test win, completing a hat-trick over the Kangaroos.

The forgotten Kiwis of 2020 and 2021 might have reached similar levels, as the last two seasons have seen an unprecedented amount of New Zealand NRL talent, with many in pivotal roles for their clubs.

Brandon Smith has been a superstar for the Melbourne Storm. Photo / Photosport
Look at the spine. Is there a better all-round No 9 than Brandon Smith?

In his first full season at dummy half, the 25-year-old scooped the Dally M hooker of the year award.

Jahrome Hughes was imperious at halfback for the Storm, with Shaun Johnson, Kodi Nikorima and Dylan Brown are among the other halves alternatives.

There aren't many better centres than Joseph Manu, while Ronaldo Mulitalo, Jordan Rapana and Ken Maumalo are compelling options on the flanks.

But it is in the forwards where the Kiwis would be near unstoppable.

There is a lot of hype (and occasionally tripe) around State of Origin but it's hard to see anything that the combination of Queensland and New South Wales could muster that would top New Zealand's current heavy artillery.

James Fisher-Harris has gone from strength to strength since appearing for the Kiwis in 2018. Photo / Photosport
Penrith's James Fisher-Harris was acclaimed as prop of the year, with Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Jesse Bromwich and Nelson Asofa-Solomona formidable options beside him.

Isaiah Papalii was superb for the Eels (also scooping a Dally M award) with Marata Niukore, Kenny Bromwich and Briton Nikora among edge backrow possibilities.

There's impressive depth at lock/middle forward, including Joseph Tapine, Tohu Harris and Issac Liu, to name a few.

It's a team that would turn heads and win hearts, who have been deprived of their chance to make history.

Possible Kiwis team​

1. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
2. Ken Maumalo
3. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
4. Joseph Manu
5. Ronaldo Mulitalo
6. Shaun Johnson
7. Jahrome Hughes
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Brandon Smith
10. James Fisher-Harris
11. Kenny Bromwich