What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis Train on squad

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
1. Hoffman
2. Perrett (replacement winger, Nightingale is injured)
3. Inu (replacement centre, Kenny-Dowall is injured)
6. Marshall
7. Foran
9. Luke
10. Kasiano
11. Pritchard
12. Mannering
13. Smith

14. Taylor (replacement utility, Glenn is injured)
15. Eastwood
16. Matulino

18. Johnson

Selections that I don't understand:

Outside backs: Whare over Matai, Beale over Vatuvei
Props: Bromwich over Blair, McKendry over Hargreaves
Backrowers: Proctor over Manu

Seems like a push for youth over experience. Matai has 11 caps, Vatuvei has 20 caps, Blair has 24 caps, Hargreaves has 11 caps and Manu has 14 caps. Even someone like Nuuausala who has 9 caps - all these guys have a tonne of experience. McKendry, Whare, Beale and Proctor haven't even been that impressive, in my opinion, and I think that a more dynamic selection like Taumalolo might have been warranted over those selected.

Are you joking re: bromwich he has been awesome...was great in the final
no-nosense prop forward who plays good minutes, makes good metres
compliments guys like kasiano, pritchard - who are both more impact

Matai has injury issues - probably too numerous too mention

As for proctor - he offers a bit of a fringe backrower.
Also because Eastwood is in the team - he probably has taken sika manu spot

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Big call going without Manu cannot see Beale doing 1st or 2nd hit ups with any real success. Also on Beale I would have thought that u could only have gone with one of Beale or Hoffman, both have been just as bad as each other.

Another point on Manu if they were convinced he had to be dropped IMO Winters had to come in over Beale, has had a great year.

In the forwards it doesnt look that bad but no JWH is a bit odd coz if it's on form then what's Sam Mac been doing all year?

Skinner

Coach
The aussie team :

Here's the Australian Kangaroos side to take on New Zealand in Townsville on October 13:

Billy Slater, Darius Boyd, Greg Inglis, Josh Morris, Brett Morris, Johnathan Thurston, Cooper Cronk, Matt Scott, Cameron Smith ©, James Tamou, Greg Bird, Paul Gallen, Nate Myles.

Interchange: Robbie Farah, Ryan Hoffman, David Shillington, Tony Williams.

18th man: Ben Te'o.

From RLW

Winterstein is a lot better than Whare...who hasn't even solidified a FG spot yet.

Kearney has his favourites and McKendry is well and truly at the top of that list with Taylor following close behind.

I'm gonna go batshit crazy if I see another backrower with a 3 or 4 on his back.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
The non-selections of Vatuvei and Taumalolo are ridiculous.

Even Vatuvei's most ardent critics can surely see this is a stupid time to drop him. We are woefully short on centres and wingers and will basically be filling those spots with whoever we can scrounge up who is of barely first grade standard. Beale? Whare? Perrett? Give me a break. Perrett is both older and slower than Manu ffs.

Manu shouldn't even be one of the first of the woeful Warriors to be dropped. He had patches of good form this year; one of them happened to be over the last 6 or so weeks of the season, another was around the time of the last test. He's a big game player and always goes well in tests where his big carries are particularly important. He's not even in bad form!

On the other hand you have Elijah Taylor, a low-talent player who had a poor season, preferred to Taumalolo, one of the best talents in the game and not yet secured by the Kiwis. They bend over backwards to pick one Warrior who had a crappy season over someone who should have been a very obvious and very important selection, while at the same time they drop Vatuvei who wasn't even that bad, at a time when we are totally devoid of decent three-quarters. Stupid.

The non-selections of Vatuvei and Taumalolo are ridiculous.

Even Vatuvei's most ardent critics can surely see this is a stupid time to drop him. We are woefully short on centres and wingers and will basically be filling those spots with whoever we can scrounge up who is of barely first grade standard. Beale? Whare? Perrett? Give me a break. Perrett is both older and slower than Manu ffs.

Manu shouldn't even be one of the first of the woeful Warriors to be dropped. He had patches of good form this year; one of them happened to be over the last 6 or so weeks of the season, another was around the time of the last test. He's a big game player and always goes well in tests where his big carries are particularly important. He's not even in bad form!

On the other hand you have Elijah Taylor, a low-talent player who had a poor season, preferred to Taumalolo, one of the best talents in the game and not yet secured by the Kiwis. They bend over backwards to pick one Warrior who had a crappy season over someone who should have been a very obvious and very important selection, while at the same time they drop Vatuvei who wasn't even that bad, at a time when we are totally devoid of decent three-quarters. Stupid.

Not as wound up as the manu non selection as you, but do agree Taylor over taumalolo is a travesty. If he's in the team as the backup hooker though that's a different story and really
Highlights our lack of depth in that position

ozbash

Referee
Not as wound up as the manu non selection as you, but do agree Taylor over taumalolo is a travesty. If he's in the team as the backup hooker though that's a different story and really

Taumalolo's time will come.

Would have liked to see Manu play at centre.

hitro

Juniors

Where is Heremaia? ESL?
Got me thinking the Warriors could groom Elijah for hooker, for when Friend retires/is injured. He's got the ticker and realistically is too small for second row.

hitman82

Bench
The more I think about it, the more shocked I am that Vatuvei hasn't been picked. He has twice the impact of the wingers we have picked, and never has a shocker for the Kiwis.
Surely he must be injured or something???

Perret and Beale? For real?

Australia are going to murder us.

And yes, we should have picked Taumalolo. Elijah Taylor has potential but right now he is a nothing player.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
The more I think about it, the more shocked I am that Vatuvei hasn't been picked. He has twice the impact of the wingers we have picked, and never has a shocker for the Kiwis.
Surely he must be injured or something???

Perret and Beale? For real?

Australia are going to murder us.

And yes, we should have picked Taumalolo. Elijah Taylor has potential but right now he is a nothing player.

Please perrett has been a beast lately...definately deserving of first winger chosen (nightingale injured atm).

People are lost ...taylor didnt take taumolos spot.
As for taylor - again can taumololo cover hooker????

If heremaia was still here - he would be playing

hitman82

Bench
Please perrett has been a beast lately...definately deserving of first winger chosen (nightingale injured atm).

People are lost ...taylor didnt take taumolos spot.
As for taylor - again can taumololo cover hooker????

If heremaia was still here - he would be playing

Hmm well Perrett has at least played through the finals and has a good combination with Inu, but you can't say Beale is more deserving than Vatuvei?

For mine, far more logical would be Foran covering hooker and Johnson in the halves. Foran is more versatile than Taylor, and we lose nothing with Johnson at 7.

Thus, allowing Mannering as the centre opposite Inglis, and Taumalolo on the bench.

Meth

Staff member
Taylor played a bit of hooker for the Warriors this year. He was worse than Brown. That's saying something, isn't it?

Can't see why he is been talked about as cover for hooker.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I watched Seluini play on Sunday, he looks quality every time !! Just needs an opportunity somewhere, and there we would have our back up hooker. He is so quick out of dummy half

Juju

Juniors
I watched Seluini play on Sunday, he looks quality every time !! Just needs an opportunity somewhere, and there we would have our back up hooker. He is so quick out of dummy half

He's in a rich vein of form too, he set up two late tries in the jets prelim to basically win them the game. I wish the warriors would get him back TBH

tangalife

Juniors
Manu always steps it up a notch for the Kiwis. just like the Anzac test, he was coming off horrid form and turn it around in that game. Cant understand how he makes selection on bad form back then, and misses while coming in on decent form now?

Perrett/Inu is a good combo, happy with that.

Taylor shouldn't be there, that is just a joke. Better to ONCE AND FOR ALL lock Taumalolo in.

Latest posts