What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis Train on squad

Fast Eddie

First Grade
It's got nothing to do with form with Johnsion v Foran. it's just that Foran is best suited to that bench role, he can cover 3-4 positions. What are the alternatives? Brown?

ozenzud

Juniors
An 'on form' kiwi team for the test would be:

Hoffman
Manu V
Matai
Inu
Perrot
Marshall
Leului
Bromich
Luke
Kasiano
Pritchard
Mannering
Eastwood

J Smith
Matalino
S Manu
Foran

Would you pick Blair? Always rated him but shocker with the Tigers this year. Kendry will get picked. He seems to be something thats turning on the selectors....

Benji is not on form, yes I know, but still he is a great player. Matai out of favour with Kearney and he can make the thug play too often, but on his day he is good and his defence excellent.

Foran off bench to cover for hooker and halfs, mannering to cover centres, Perrot/Inu to cover FB. Second year syndrome has hit Johnson it seems. Is he injured or something?

A pretty good kiwis team. Surely if Kearney can make them fire they can take Oz on. Certainly got them in the forwards.

Meth

Staff member
It's got nothing to do with form with Johnsion v Foran. it's just that Foran is best suited to that bench role, he can cover 3-4 positions. What are the alternatives? Brown?

I take your point re Foran's suitability to the bench role.

We desperately need a halfback. I am sure Johnson will be up to it in the future, but he is still so green

Fast Eddie

First Grade
What we need out of our halves is a decent/good kicking game. One of the main keys to beating Australia.

Meth

Staff member
Yeah, Johnson just needs to be switched on. His kicking game was superb at times this year.

hitman82

Bench
Johnson has all we require for the Kiwi halfback role. He's far more suited to it than Foran will ever be. We don't have the same issue in the Kiwis of having to hide halves among poor outside backs on defense. A lot of people have judged Johnson's form as poor for the Warriors this season - personally I disagree. He simply couldn't achieve as much with the rabble of players and lack of structure around him. Should still be first pick halfback for the Kiwi team in my opinion...
even more so now Fien is not in the equation.

ozbash

Referee
Not really keen on Johnson. Foran's been bad this year, but Johnson's been worse.

I hope to see Kasiano, Eastwood, Pritchard, Perrett, Inu, Proctor, Bromwich and Manu named in the squad today.

I dont entirely blame SJ for his poor runs of form this year. Halfback needs ball and that dried up..

Plus, there were too many chiefs and not enough indians in that team last season.

So, get off his back...:cool:

Rambo1'

Juniors
Kasiano to be named in the New Zealand and Australian national sides today. International footy is beyond a joke now.

So 19 man squad to be named later today. I expect something like..

1. Hoffman
2. Perret
3. Inu
4. Mannering
5. Manu
6. Benji
7. Foran
8. Matulino
9. Luke
10. McKendry
11. Blair
12. Eastwood
13. Smith

14. Leuluai
15. Bromwich
16. Kasiano
17. Pritchard

18. Beale
19. Taumalolo/JWH

Last edited:

hitman82

Bench
How well did he come back from the ankle injury he picked up in the Exiles match? I'd rather Thomas rest and rehab over the off season so he's 100% for us in 2013.

jaseg

Juniors
Marshall 7 Foran 6 was my thinking for the second half of the season, but at the moment with Matai out I'm considering if it wouldn't be better to slot Foran into the centres with Inu and have Johnson in the halves... Kasiano & Taumololo have to be picked imo.

Hoffman
Perrett
Inu
Foran
Vatuvei
Marshall
Johnson
Matulino
Luke
Kasiano
Mannering
Eastwood
Smith

Leuluai (if available) / Norman (if available) / Mara (too young but unavailabilities might force it?)
Bromwich
Pritchard
Taumololo (wrap him up boys, NOW)

EDIT: Switch Eastwood & Pritchard

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
ok, selecting from the team we have avaliable

1- Perrett
2- Winterstein
3- Inu
4- Mannering
5- Vatuvei
6- Marshall
7- Johnson
8- Matulino
9- Luke
10- Bromwich
11- Pritchard
12- Eastwood
13- Smith

Res- Taumalolo, Kasiano, Foran, Warea-Hargreaves

ozbash

Referee
Here's the Kiwis squad for the October 13th test against Australia in Townsville...

Gerard Beale
Jesse Bromwich
Greg Eastwood
Kieran Foran
Josh Hoffman
Krisnan Inu
Shaun Johnson
Sam Kasiano
Issac Luke
Simon Mannering
Benji Marshall
Ben Matulino
Sam McKendry
Sam Perrett
Frank Pritchard
Kevin Proctor
Jeremy Smith
Elijah Taylor
Dean Whare

Left out - Manu Vatuvei, Adam Blair, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Jason Taumalolo, Antonio Winterstein, Ben Henry, Alehana Mara.

Not available -Alex Glenn, Ricky Thorby, Nathan Fien (retired), Jason Nightingale, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Kevin Locke