What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis v Tonga

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Giving NZ a guaranteed 1 home match 1 year then 2 the following year against Australia would boost the NZRL financially from gate receipts and possibly from increased sponsorship and tv deals resulting from the permanent trans-Tasman series.

In time I honestly believe that the trans-Tasman test series could match state of origin. Especially with NZ being so strong and competitive compared to the sides they fielded from the mid to late 80’s and early 90’s when the majority of the kiwi squad were drawn from the old English 1st division competition(pre-super league).

Cutting Origin is a bad idea, but you are dead right about the Aus/NZ 3-game series every year....

Ive said before, 1-off games are to random and out of place to create any build-up. The 3-game format has the perfect narative arch to build excitment. It is the perfect format to bring back interest in Rep footy.

It truly baffles me that we can have the format of Origin, the biggest event in Australian sport, and not even consider TRYING to replicate it. Are we really dumb enough to think Origin is a special, godly event that cannot be explained or understood?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
State of origin has become a behemoth. The bigger and stronger it gets the weaker international RL gets with player workloads coming more and more into effect and players opting to represent either NSW or Queensland before other nations.

Nah, Origin is just the easy target....

If we are worried about player workload, cut NRL regular season games. 24 games a year is way more than we need.

Trim that fat and put the time into rep footy.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Big squad named! I guess Foran being back in contention and a recall for Benji are the talking points.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/13/benji-returns-as-kiwis-name-strong-squad-for-tonga-test/

Leeson Ah Mau (Warriors)
Nelson Asofa-Solomona (Storm)
Jesse Bromwich (Storm)
Kenneath Bromwich (Storm)
James Fisher-Harris (Panthers)
Kieran Foran (Bulldogs)
Jahrome Hughes (Storm)
Jamayne Isaako (Broncos)
Shaun Johnson (Sharks)
Isaac Liu (Roosters)
Issac Luke (Warriors)
Joseph Manu (Roosters)
Benji Marshall (Wests Tigers)
Esan Marsters (Wests Tigers)
Ken Maumalo (Warriors)
Briton Nikora (Sharks)
Kodi Nikorima (Warriors)
Agnatius Paasi (Warriors)
Isaiah Papali’i (Warriors)
Jordan Rapana (Raiders)
Brandon Smith (Storm)
Joseph Tapine (Raiders)
Martin Taupau (Sea Eagles)
Zane Tetevano (Roosters)
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (Warriors)
Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (Roosters)
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (Bulldogs)
WTF!!! Only in rugby league could you have a legit born in Tonga RL player playing for the opposition whilst the Tongan team is overwhelmingly born outside of Tonga.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Good to see foran back in the black&white jeresy. Is it a case of him playing well or just that as usual the kiwis are struggling for depth in the halves??

adamkungl

Immortal
Big squad named! I guess Foran being back in contention and a recall for Benji are the talking points.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/13/benji-returns-as-kiwis-name-strong-squad-for-tonga-test/

Leeson Ah Mau (Warriors)
Nelson Asofa-Solomona (Storm)
Jesse Bromwich (Storm)
Kenneath Bromwich (Storm)
James Fisher-Harris (Panthers)
Kieran Foran (Bulldogs)
Jahrome Hughes (Storm)
Jamayne Isaako (Broncos)
Shaun Johnson (Sharks)
Isaac Liu (Roosters)
Issac Luke (Warriors)
Joseph Manu (Roosters)
Benji Marshall (Wests Tigers)
Esan Marsters (Wests Tigers)
Ken Maumalo (Warriors)
Briton Nikora (Sharks)
Kodi Nikorima (Warriors)
Agnatius Paasi (Warriors)
Isaiah Papali’i (Warriors)
Jordan Rapana (Raiders)
Brandon Smith (Storm)
Joseph Tapine (Raiders)
Martin Taupau (Sea Eagles)
Zane Tetevano (Roosters)
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (Warriors)
Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (Roosters)
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (Bulldogs)

I'd pick something like

1 RTS
2 Maumalo
3 DWZ (not typically a centre but better than plod Marsters and any other centre options NZ have)
4 Manu (backup centre Hughes)
5 Rapana (backup centre Isaako)
6 Foran
7 Johnson
8 NAS
9 Smith
10 J Bromwich
11 K Bromwich
12 Tapine
13 Liu

14 Luke (backup hooker Tapine)
15 JWH