What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis vs England in Denver

Cold Roses

Juniors
According to this article...

Maumalo and Isaako to start on wings
Decision to be made as to whether Kahu or Marsters will start in one center spot, and whether Liu or Ese'ese gets a bench spot.

Griffin to continue Kiwis family tradition as Maguire mulls final two spots
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/21...ion-as-michael-maguire-mulls-final-two-spots/

Griffin to continue Kiwis family tradition as Maguire mulls final two spots
Slade Griffin is set to follow in the footsteps of his uncle, John Griffin, after being selected to make his debut for New Zealand in the Test against England on Saturday (Sunday, 6am AEST) at Mile High Stadium.

Griffin, who was born in Australia but raised in Greymouth on the West Coast of the South Island, will start the historic Test on the interchange but New Zealand coach Michael Maguire is yet to finalise his team, with two positions undecided.

Maguire has confirmed that Brisbane's Jamayne Isaako and Ken Maumalo of the Warriors would start on the wings but he is undecided whether to also give a debut to Wests Tigers centre Esan Marsters or play Brisbane's Jordan Kahu.

The other position yet to be settled is on the interchange, with Newcastle forward Herman Ese'ese vying with Sydney Roosters backrower Isaac Liu, who has impressed Maguire with his ability to play on an edge as well as in the middle.

Canterbury's Raymond Faitala-Mariner is set to start his first Test in the second row, alongside Canberra's Joseph Tapine, while St George Illawarra forward Leeson Ah Mau will also make his Kiwis debut on the interchange, along with Griffin.

For Griffin, Test selection will continue a family tradition after his uncle John played for the Kiwis in 1982, along with the likes of Mark Graham, Hugh McGahn, Olsen Filipaina, Howie and Kevin Tamati, Mark Broadhurst, James Leuluai and Clayton Friend.

John Griffin was also the 1982 West Coast Rugby League player of the year.

"My whole family is very proud," Griffin said. "My uncle actually played for the Kiwis too so my family is a very proud rugby league family and they love the Kiwis so me getting the call up is something special.

"I am going to represent my home town of Greymouth, my family and pull on the black and white New Zealand jersey."

Griffin was born in Glen Innes and would be eligible to play State of Origin for NSW but while his brother and sister consider themselves to be Australian he always wanted to represent the Kiwis.

"I am a New Zealander, I was just born in Australia," Griffin said. "My mum lived in Australia for five years but I grew up in Greymouth and my mother, and my grandmother, grew up in Greymouth, so my family has been there for generations."

The 27-year-old hooker, who joined Newcastle this season after six years as a deputy to Cameron Smith in Melbourne, has a relationship with Maguire from his time at the Storm as an assistant coach.

Despite the absence of big names such Shaun Johnson, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Adam Blair and Jesse Bromwich through injury, suspension or unavailability, the Kiwis still boast a strong forward pack, which includes Issac Luke, Martin Taupau, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Nelson Asofa-Solomona and James Fisher-Harris.

Centre Peta Hiku has played 10 Tests for the Kiwis, while fullback Dallin Watene-Zelezniak has represented New Zealand six times previously on the wing.

If there is an area the Kiwis could be vulnerable it is the halves as neither Kodi Nikorima or Te Maire Martin are guaranteed starting players for their clubs.

"We have got a few debutants but they have all been playing good for their clubs and I know they are excited to represent their country," Hiku said.

"Hopefully everyone can bring the form they have had for their clubs and we can get the win. It is the first Test in Denver, everyone who is here wanted to be a part of it and we are all excited to be playing."

Cold Roses

Juniors
So based on that

1. DWZ
2. Maumalo
3. Marsters / Kahu
4. Hiku
5. Isaako
6. TMM
7. Nikorima
8. Tapau
9. Luke
10. NAS / Warea-Hargreaves
11. Faitaler-Mariner
12. Tapine
13. Fisher-Harris

14. Griffin
15. Ah-Mau
16. Warea-Hargreaves / NAS
17. Liu or Eses'ese

18. Marsters or Kahu
19. Liu or Ese'ese

Mighty Ape Man

Juniors
So based on that

1. DWZ
2. Maumalo
3. Marsters / Kahu
4. Hiku
5. Isaako
6. TMM
7. Nikorima
8. Tapau
9. Luke
10. NAS / Warea-Hargreaves
11. Faitaler-Mariner
12. Tapine
13. Fisher-Harris

14. Griffin
15. Ah-Mau
16. Warea-Hargreaves / NAS
17. Liu or Eses'ese

18. Marsters or Kahu
19. Liu or Ese'ese

Looks like a pretty decent squad, though I wouldn't have JWH in the side.

Ah well early rise Sunday morning to support the Kiwis. No such thing as a meaningless test IMO. Just players who showed last year they don't give a shit about the jersey.

Go the Kiwis!!!!!!

JJ

Immortal
Ese'ese >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>JWH

Anyone >>>JWH

I guess Madge thinks he can get something out of him

Cold Roses

Juniors
http://nzrl.co.nz/seven-debutants-confirmed-for-denver-test/

Seven debutants confirmed for Denver Test
2-3 minutes
Head Coach Michael Maguire has confirmed the seven players chosen in the squad to travel to Denver will all make their Test debuts for the Kiwis in the international against England at Mile High Stadium on Saturday.

In a match which will also mark his international initiation, Maguire will use three new faces in the backline, one in the starting pack and three on the interchange.

Warriors wing Ken Maumalo teams up on the left edge with experienced club-mate Peta Hiku while Esan Marsters (Wests Tigers) and Jamayne Isaako (Brisbane Broncos) are paired on the right edge.

Greymouth-raised hooker Slade Griffin (Newcastle Knights), props Leeson Ah Mau (St George Illawarra) and Herman Ese’ese (Newcastle Knights) plus back rower James Fisher-Harris (Penrith Panthers) make up the bench.

Maguire has named Jared Waerea Hargreaves (Sydney Roosters) and Nelson Asofa-Solomona (Melbourne Storm) as his starting props with Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles middle forward Marty Taupau starting at loose forward.

Ah Mau, Maumalo, Ese’ese and Faitala-Mariner have all previously played at Test level for Toa Samoa while Marsters has represented Cook Islands.

NEW ZEALAND KIWIS v ENGLAND
Mile High Stadium, Denver
2.00pm, Saturday, June 23, 2018

No Player Club Kiwi No Tests
1 DALLIN WATENE-ZELEZNIAK Penrith 794 6
2 JAMAYNE ISAAKO Brisbane – –
3 ESAN MARSTERS Wests Tigers – –
4 PETA HIKU Warriors 781 10
5 KEN MAUMALO Warriors – –
6 TE MAIRE MARTIN North Queensland 802 3
7 KODI NIKORIMA Brisbane 790 8
8 JARED WAEREA-HARGREAVES Sydney Roosters 755 23
9 ISSAC LUKE Warriors 749 42
10 NELSON ASOFA-SOLOMONA Melbourne 804 4
15 RAY FAITALA-MARINER Canterbury-Bankstown – –
12 JOSEPH TAPINE Canberra 800 7
13 MARTIN TAUPAU Manly-Warringah 785 20

Interchange

11 JAMES FISHER-HARRIS Penrith 801 1
14 SLADE GRIFFIN Newcastle – –
16 HERMAN ESE’ESE Newcastle – –
17 LEESON AH MAU St George Illawarra – –
18 JORDAN KAHU Brisbane 788 9
19 ISAAC LIU Sydney Roosters 805 3

Matua

Bench
The clubs pay the players' wages. In all fairness, the clubs are probably quite happy to release guys to Test footy - but not halfway round the world for a meaningless one-off match, then backing up six days later all the way back. Whoever organised this fixture is who you should be disappointed in. The Warriors are just doing the smartest thing under far less than ideal circumstances.
While I understand where your coming from there's no way even the Warriors would stop a player from playing Origin .

No test matches are meaningless for me ....

Latest posts