What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis vs England in Denver

Cold Roses

Juniors
On form you'd have to probably say Kahu misses out this time. Backline of

1. DWZ
2. Isaako
3. Marsters
4. Hiku
5. Maumalo

Doesn't look too bad

I like this as well. Pretty lacking in experience though. I'd be surprised if Kahu isn't in there somewhere for his experience. Pretty happy Isaako made the squad.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Taumalolo can play for Botswana for all I care. I'd take a team of 17 Slade Griffins any day.

Spot on, great attitude

England will probably clean us out but I'm happy with the attitude of the guys who have put their hand up. As opposed to our top guys, Haven't heard anything at all out of the Burgess clan, Widdop and Graham about not wanting to go which shows how keen they are too

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Spot on, great attitude

England will probably clean us out but I'm happy with the attitude of the guys who have put their hand up. As opposed to our top guys, Haven't heard anything at all out of the Burgess clan, Widdop and Graham about not wanting to go which shows how keen they are too

I find it a sad indictment when we've got to a point where we're OK with being cleaned out by England, bog average England, as long as we have guys who want to be there. I'm not having a go at you, it's the ridiculousness of international league. I can't support a team of 17 Slade Griffins.

Our top guys know where their bread is buttered. They know the clubs are the ones paying their wages, they owe their loyalty to them. And these guys love playing for the Kiwis, but the inept organisations in charge of their game put them in a crap position where they had to choose. And they've chosen correctly. They were fortunate in having existing injuries they could call on to pull out.

MKEB...

Staff member
https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2018/06/17/i-told-madge-id-travel-to-antarctica-to-play/

‘I told Madge I’d travel to Antarctica to play’
Sun 17 Jun 2018, 10:14 PM
When Michael Maguire first phoned Slade Griffin to tell him he was in the mix to make his New Zealand international debut, the nib Newcastle Knights hooker was stunned.

Privately, Griffin had dreamed of playing for the Kiwis since he was a little boy, but he never believed it would become a reality.

That was until his phone rang two weeks ago.

Griffin didn't recognise the number but knew the voice.

It was the newly appointed Test coach.

"I told Madge I'd travel to Antarctica to play for the Kiwis," Griffin told newcastleknights.com.au.

In turn, Maguire told Griffin he was in contention for a call-up.

He wouldn't need to travel to Antarctica but would need his passport.

The Kiwis are scheduled to face England in Denver on June 23.

A few days later, Maguire called again.

This time he was no longer in the mix but in the team.

"Madge called me and kind of said I was in contention the week before and I was just trying not to think about it too much and worrying about thinking about the Knights," Griffin said.

"He called me again on a Tuesday and had a bit of small talk at the start and I was trying to hear from his voice, the tone, on whether I was in or not. The suspense was killing me and then he said; 'have you got your passport?'

"I'm really excited."

For Maguire, it was an easy call to make and one which filled him with joy.

"You could hear there was a fair bit of emotion at the other end of the phone just by how he spoke," Maguire toldnewcastleknights.com.au.

"It's a great feeling as a coach to be able to ring a young man and tell him he's going to be playing for his country."

What Griffin doesn't know is that after their initial chat, Maguire started researching the rake.

While he's found a home at the Knights, he's spent the bulk of his career in Melbourne, a club Maguire knows well.

Griffin was in the 20s program when Maguire was an assistant coach at the Storm, so the new Kiwis mentor reached out to the likes of Craig Bellamy and Cameron Smith to learn more about the unsung workhorse.

griffins-180427nh21.jpg

While Griffin's bone crushing try saver on Roosters wrecking ball Isaac Liu turned plenty of heads last week, it was a glowing endorsement of Griffin's character from his peers which sealed Maguire's decision to hand him his debut.

"He's reliable with how he plays," Maguire said.

"You know exactly what you're going to get when he steps out onto the field.

"I spoke to Craig Bellamy and did a bit of homework on the character of Slade and I believe he's going to fit well into what we're trying to do with the Kiwi jersey.

"Success comes with the right characters and this is his opportunity now to show he puts everything on the field. "

With the Test taking place in America, Griffin knew of his selection in the team a few days prior to the team was named.

Griffin took his suitcase to McDonald Jones Stadium on Sunday before jumping into a car to join his teammates in Sydney later that night ahead of their flight to the US on Monday morning.

While Griffin had the Storm game to prepare for, he was able to take a moment to reflect on the achievement.

It's an honour he's struggling to comprehend.

"I wouldn't even say a dream. I probably didn't think it was possible to tell the truth," Griffin said.

"I remember as a kid watching the Kiwis on TV at my uncles at five in the morning watching them play England and now I'll be doing that.

"It's just amazing to pull on the black and white. I know I'll have the whole west coast supporting me."

That's defo the type of bugger I want on my Kiwis team.

WellsNZ

Juniors
Spot on, great attitude

To be fair I think SK set the tone pretty early about the club not wanting those guys going whereas these English boys all play for clubs loaded stacked with Origin players so they're in no position to try push anyone out of rep duties.

But yes someone like Graham would probably trot out for England with a broken leg if they let him.

I find it a sad indictment when we've got to a point where we're OK with being cleaned out by England, bog average England, as long as we have guys who want to be there. I'm not having a go at you, it's the ridiculousness of international league. I can't support a team of 17 Slade Griffins.

Our top guys know where their bread is buttered. They know the clubs are the ones paying their wages, they owe their loyalty to them. And these guys love playing for the Kiwis, but the inept organisations in charge of their game put them in a crap position where they had to choose. And they've chosen correctly. They were fortunate in having existing injuries they could call on to pull out.

I think if SJ and RTS had been uninjured the whole season they would have played. Harris not sure of his personal reasons.

The other retirements, Mannering expected, Packer can't travel due to record and Matulino showed a pea heart at Warriors.

For years clubs have held back players from internationals with niggles yet they played NRL.

Maguire has a lot of repair work to do with bad blood though.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
So you arent allowed to use slang?

You can use any words you'd like to use, but rightly or wrongly, while they talk like that old stereotypes will never change

Not sure how many other sports in this country would have a senior pro saying that, but certainly can't recall the likes of Keiren Read saying "those Barrett brothers are mean as" or anything like that. Doesn't sell itself to sponsors that may be looking to tip a dollar in either, and NZRL needs all the help it can get

Last edited:

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
I think if SJ and RTS had been uninjured the whole season they would have played. Harris not sure of his personal reasons.

The other retirements, Mannering expected, Packer can't travel due to record and Matulino showed a pea heart at Warriors.

For years clubs have held back players from internationals with niggles yet they played NRL.

Maguire has a lot of repair work to do with bad blood though.

Madge is on to it and no pushover. If those guys don't get into it or slack off in other ways they won't be there at the end of the year. But those three mentioned will be, barring injury.
Don't think for a minute that Madge has not spoken with them and them back with where they're at.

I rather like that Harris said 'personal reasons' because it's no-one's business except his, Madge's, NZRL and the Warriors...they're the only ones due an explanation & he will have given it.
No Aussie commentator/ news bottom-feeder has the right to call out anything they don't know about the Kiwi team, the Kiwi players...or the Warriors for that matter when they don't give them the time of day any other time except for bad news. I sometimes wonder if the Warriors are even in the NRL with the way those guys ignore or downplay them. They probably haven't got over that we beat them not so long ago lol and there's two or three other teams shaping up to do the same again (including the Kiwis)

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
You can use any words you'd like to use, but rightly or wrongly, while they talk like that old stereotypes will never change

Not sure how many other sports in this country would have a senior pro saying that, but certainly can't recall the likes of Keiren Read saying "those Barrett brothers are mean as" or anything like that. Doesn't sell itself to sponsors that may be looking to tip a dollar in either, and NZRL needs all the help it can get

You're right, perceptions need to change and Madge is going in at the deep end but he'll sort the boys from the men I'm sure. It took Kearney's first year at the Kiwis to sort out & leave the 'bros' behind, and the next year the success started to come. Madge is of the same mould & he'll do it in a shorter time I reckon

Luke isn't the sharpest kid on the block and should keep his waha shut if he wants to be thereabouts at the end of the year - do your talking on the field Luke!

Last edited:
Madge is on to it and no pushover. If those guys don't get into it or slack off in other ways they won't be there at the end of the year. But those three mentioned will be, barring injury.
Don't think for a minute that Madge has not spoken with them and them back with where they're at.

I rather like that Harris said 'personal reasons' because it's no-one's business except his, Madge's, NZRL and the Warriors...they're the only ones due an explanation & he will have given it.
No Aussie commentator/ news bottom-feeder has the right to call out anything they don't know about the Kiwi team, the Kiwi players...or the Warriors for that matter when they don't give them the time of day any other time except for bad news. I sometimes wonder if the Warriors are even in the NRL with the way those guys ignore or downplay them. They probably haven't got over that we beat them not so long ago lol and there's two or three other teams shaping up to do the same again (including the Kiwis)

I read an article about the trip over to Denver, very professional setup.

Here it is.

www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/19/sunglasses-ban-to-help-kiwis-overcome-jet-lag-before-denver-test/

Not sure how gangsta you can look without ya sunnies???

Matua

Bench
Luke is going to this match, despite the wishes of his club so he can say gangster all he wants.

Also, I'm bloody disappointed in the Warriors not releasing players.

Unlike other fans I care more about country than club.

Rich102

Staff member
I respect your opinion.

But for me, if a player is injured or in uncomfortable circumstances, to force him to go would be stupid.

Let's rebuild a bit of pride in the jersey first.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Luke is going to this match, despite the wishes of his club so he can say gangster all he wants.

Also, I'm bloody disappointed in the Warriors not releasing players.

Unlike other fans I care more about country than club.

The clubs pay the players' wages. In all fairness, the clubs are probably quite happy to release guys to Test footy - but not halfway round the world for a meaningless one-off match, then backing up six days later all the way back. Whoever organised this fixture is who you should be disappointed in. The Warriors are just doing the smartest thing under far less than ideal circumstances.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
There might be three people in the Denver stands but I'll be supporting the boys from right here in the NZ of L.

Like I said before - NZRL priorities go like this;
  1. Warriors
  2. Kiwis
  3. NZRL
I know @Matua, thats shocking. You will probably disagree with that order but surely you can see how it comes across like that when heaps of our players choose not to play, yet they will run out for the Warrior.

The Warrior has a real shot this year. Do I think they can win it? yeeee...yep. My level of confidence depends on whether our spine remains injury free and an intense test like this could jeopardise that with injuries to our Warriors.

I just hope its going to be a great game. They played an Origin in the states ages ago and nothing came of it, probably because NSW won.