What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights appoint Peter Parr as Director of Football

Interesting to hear that one of the 1st things Payton did at the Cowboys before this offseason was to piss off most of the sports science staff and focus on working the team hard without them being measured for "work loads" etc. amazing what some good old fashioned hard work and physical floggings can do for a team and their ability under fatigue

Maybe Parr and the club can see the benefit too

Last edited:

Knight Tales

Juniors
Interesting to hear that one of the 1st things Payton did at the Cowboys before this offseason was to piss off most of the sports science staff and focus on working the team hard without them being measured for "work loads" etc. amazing what some good old fashioned hard work and physical floggings can do for a team and their ability under fatigue

Back to the dunes at Stockton?

Yosh

Coach
I'm glad to see so much disruption at the club as soon as Parr came. Result might turn out positive or negative, but at least, we aren't doing nothing. Change is very welcome!

Jono078

Referee
I'm glad to see so much disruption at the club as soon as Parr came. Result might turn out positive or negative, but at least, we aren't doing nothing. Change is very welcome!
Exactly. Something had to give or we’d be in year 4 with AOB next year and probably on a further decline.

Shake things up now while things are shit. Everyone is on notice. Perform or perish.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Exactly. Something had to give or we’d be in year 4 with AOB next year and probably on a further decline.

Shake things up now while things are shit. Everyone is on notice. Perform or perish.
It would be great if it was this easy but we have been there before.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Yeah I sorta feel like we’ve been on several cycles of this already. It first happened when Brian Smith came in and overhauled the roster from 2007-2008 then in 2009 we looked the goods until Smith signed with the Roosters and it all fell to shit. Then we went backwards pretty quickly under Stone. Then Bennett comes in and we basically start all over again in 2012 followed by making that prelim in 2013 and things are looking pretty good until 2014 and it all falls apart again. Then the club goes back to Stone who makes it even worse. Brown then comes in and it’s another clean slate situation and be puts a pretty decent roster together which AOB manages to get to 7th spot 2 years in a row. Now we’ve gone off the face of a cliff again and need another rebuild.

it basically feels like we have a major rebuild every 5 years or so. Yet the success that we see off the back of it is limited and short lived and then we go through it all again. I really really hope that Parr’s influence will lead to a proper sustained period of success for this club.

aqua_duck

Coach

I think there's room with both approaches, I mean sports science is obvious crucial in every sport but then there's the character building aspect of a good old fashion flogging. GPS tracking, training loads, biomechanics, etc are great and the modern day of training is obviously aimed at optimism all the physiological bench marks but I think for this playing group the psychological benefits of being flogged probably are more important than getting the extra 2-3% physiologically

Knight Tales

Juniors
Yeah I sorta feel like we’ve been on several cycles of this already. It first happened when Brian Smith came in and overhauled the roster from 2007-2008 then in 2009 we looked the goods until Smith signed with the Roosters and it all fell to shit. Then we went backwards pretty quickly under Stone. Then Bennett comes in and we basically start all over again in 2012 followed by making that prelim in 2013 and things are looking pretty good until 2014 and it all falls apart again. Then the club goes back to Stone who makes it even worse. Brown then comes in and it’s another clean slate situation and be puts a pretty decent roster together which AOB manages to get to 7th spot 2 years in a row. Now we’ve gone off the face of a cliff again and need another rebuild.

it basically feels like we have a major rebuild every 5 years or so. Yet the success that we see off the back of it is limited and short lived and then we go through it all again. I really really hope that Parr’s influence will lead to a proper sustained period of success for this club.
That is depressing reading.

Knight Tales

Juniors
depressingly accurate. Not backing smithy was a real sliding doors moment for the club.
Nothing upsets me more than the decision to let that genius walk out the door. I have no doubt at all he would have made and won a GF here with time. He turned a side of then reserve graders into a top four side in 2009. Their skill level and ball playing speed was exceptional. Imagine what would have happened had he had five to ten years like he did at Parra.
As sidenote has anyone seen Rohan Smith's efforts at Leeds recently? They were absolute dogshit prior to him arriving a few months back They now look like a title contender. Has his dad's DNA all over it. Fast paced ball movement and relentless dummy half work.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
depressingly accurate. Not backing smithy was a real sliding doors moment for the club.
100%, there was the obvious reputation with Smith of not being able to win a premiership but we realistically weren't at a point where we should have worried too much about that. The other big fallout from Smithy moving on was that Trent Robinson followed him to the roosters.....

Spot On

Coach

And a big factor in all this imo is the fact our club, system, local area has produced f**k all top class footballers in close to 20 years. Sure, there’s a couple of names who have made the grade and played rep footy, but overall, it is astounding how a so called professional rugby league organisation has been so f**king poor in almost all areas especially identifying and developing football talent from within.

JFC

Epic failure. Couldn’t do as bad even if you purposely planned to sabotaged the system.

Jono078

Referee
It would be great if it was this easy but we have been there before.
We have, but it was all under different regimes and it's as simple as none were able to get it right.

I do feel like we're on the cusp of turning things and have made all the right moves.

Maybe another couple of years of pain but I think the 3-5 year mark we'll be in a nice position.

Knight Tales

Juniors
We have, but it was all under different regimes and it's as simple as none were able to get it right.

I do feel like we're on the cusp of turning things and have made all the right moves.

Maybe another couple of years of pain but I think the 3-5 year mark we'll be in a nice position.
What i want to see is us finally take a foothold as a top 6 side. I say top 6 in so far as that is generally where you need to have bare min expectation to truly be a great club. Every year you are a GF shot.

macavity

Referee
And a big factor in all this imo is the fact our club, system, local area has produced f**k all top class footballers in close to 20 years. Sure, there’s a couple of names who have made the grade and played rep footy, but overall, it is astounding how a so called professional rugby league organisation has been so f**king poor in almost all areas especially identifying and developing football talent from within.

JFC

Epic failure. Couldn’t do as bad even if you purposely planned to sabotaged the system.

we don’t even have our area any more. The Roosters have claimed the Central Coast, the Dogs the upper valley, and the north coast is a free for all.

We should have ring fenced mooney mooney to Coffs and out to Moree 35 years ago.

Instead we have let what networks we had wither on the vine.

It will take a huge spend - on infrastructure I think - to get it back. I can’t see Wests having the will to do i

Latest posts