What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights Captain 2016

I started typing this in the Mullen thread but thought it could have its own discussion.

So with Scott gone and gidley a high chance of leaving, this leaves Mullen as the obvious choice. He has been captain before and done well, however in recent times Scott has been chosen over mullen. The reason being, IMO is that Mullo does not need the pressure.

With that in mind, who else is there that would be captain material?

Christ Houston, has been there before, however he's barely first grade standard and is not a long term option.

Do we take a punt on someone younger like perhaps Robbie Rochow who I believe shows a lot of maturity on the field and could potentially do the job for a decade.

Jeremy smith, solid leader but wil only play another year, max.

The sims boys haven't been at the club long enough.

I don't think any of our winger/centres are captain material

Tyrone Roberts needs to concentrate on his own game and definitely shouldn't be captain

So basically it will be between Mullen and Housten with rochow as a smokey..

What do you think?

macavity

Referee
Snowy.

Really shows how dire our leadership is that we have to scratch around like this.

Noname36

First Grade
Mullen's game actually improves a lot when he's captain. He seems to thrive with the leadership. He'd be the logical choice even if he's down on form currently.

The only other options are Snowy who isn't really a talker or Rochow who might be a bit young yet.

I couldn't support the team if Houston was captain.

League_God

Juniors
Mullen's game actually improves a lot when he's captain. He seems to thrive with the leadership. He'd be the logical choice even if he's down on form currently.

This... but he'd still have to be in better form than he is atm

Swarzey

Bench
Mullen. Led us well at the back end of 2013, represents the club extremely well.

Either him or Rochow. For a long time I've seen him as a future captain of the club. Mature on the field, handles media and what you would expect from a captain rather well. Couldn't go wrong and will only benefit him as he develops more.

perverse

Referee
Mullen is not only the best option, but the only option now. Snowden is still coming to grips with leading the forward pack, let alone leading the team.

There is as much or more riding on the bloke than ever before, really. We really need him to come good, it's just about all we can hope for.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Gotta be Mullen. I know a couple of people that have interacted with Snowy and they have both said that he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. So having him address the media etc probably isn't the best idea. Mullen is the only real option for mine.

1qaz

Juniors
Can't wait another 5 years for Mullen to realize his potential.
If Stone wants to shake things up he should make this guy the next Knights captain.
Fix up his defense. he'll lead from the front.

ddd.jpg

He was the captain ofprestigious BBC 1st XV which produced former Wallabies captains James Horwill and Will Genia.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
I don't think you can go Mullen anymore. Hard to expect him to lead by example for his team mates when he goes missing so often in big games.

I'd go Smith for next year and then Snowden or Rochow after that.

Last edited:
http://m.foxsports.com.au/nrl/trent...ghts-bounce-back/story-e6frf3ou-1227597425111

Trent Hodkinson was signed by Newcastle to help ease the pressure on Jarrod Mullen.

But the irony on his first day in town yesterday was that the Knights’ new star recruit found himself in the middle of the club’s next big debate that will divide many fans.

Which one of the halves should take over the captaincy from Kurt Gidley?

While many see Mullen as the obvious choice given his long service to the Knights, Hodkinson’s laid-back demeanour combined with his big match experience also makes him a contender.

And with the 27-year-old NSW halfback declaring his best football was still ahead of him, Hodkinson admitted he would be honoured if he was considered to lead his new club.

“I’d love to,” Hodkinson said when asked about taking on the top job.
“But to be honest I have just come up here and I am looking to settle in and work hard.

“If that was to come it was to come but I am sure there is a few other guys and a few older boys who could fill the void.”

Asked if Hodkinson was captaincy material, new coach Nathan Brown was reluctant to fire up the debate on the club’s first day back at pre-season training.

“I haven’t even thought about that at the moment,” Brown said.

“We have just lost Kurt Gidley who was obviously captain for a long time and there is a fair number of older players who were moved out.

“So Trent is obviously going to be someone who we know has got good leadership qualities.

“He’s a senior player, he has achieved a lot in the game already on the field, he is a great person off the field.

“But we don’t know what might rise out of the younger kids that are in the squad at the moment.

“Because generally when a lot of older people leave, there is always one or two people who have been in the system for a while that sort of rise out of the wreckage and prove that they can be good leaders as well.

“So again those decisions won’t be rushed and over a period of time we will make the decision.”

But what has Brown already convinced is that Hodkinson’s arrival will prove a big bonus for Mullen.

“Trent is a very calm player,” Brown said.

“He is a good organiser and he has played in two or three grand finals and he has obviously won a State of Origin series against that great Queensland side

Trent Hodkinson is unlikely to begin training with the Knights until the New Year. Picture: Peter Lorimer Source: News Corp Australia
“I don’t know Jarrod Mullen well at this stage.

“Obviously I have watched Jarrod play a lot but I am just getting to know him myself.

“But the general consensus is someone of Trent’s nature, the style of player he is, should be a good foil for Jarrod Mullen.”

Still recovering from a wrist operation that cut short his final year with the Bulldogs, Hodkinson won’t be ready for full training until the new year but declared yesterday he would be fit to start the new season.

Asked if he felt his best football was still to come, Hodkinson said:

“I think so. That is the way I am looking at it, definitely.

“New start, new beginning. It is exciting.

“I was involved with Browny during the Origin period and I loved what he had to say about me improving as a player and what structure would best suit me.”

Still Nutty

Juniors
I like that Brown hasn't bought into anointing anybody just yet...

I will review who I have, see what they bring to the team I want, see how they interact with me, see what suits the balance AND THEN MAKE A DECISION.

I also like that he is potentially thinking long term about leadership ..."But we don’t know what might rise out of the younger kids that are in the squad at the moment."

It is an interesting dilemma though...

PhilGould

Bench
I like Hodkinson too. The fans that are all about everything being "local" would hate it and hate Brown, but I think it would send a pretty strong message. The other 2 I'd be okay with would be Korbin or Rochow.

Latest posts