What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights clearer on MacDougall's future than Mad Dog

Pumba

First Grade
Knights clearer on MacDougall's future than Mad Dog
BY ROBERT DILLON

KNIGHTS veteran Adam MacDougall remains undecided about playing on beyond 2008, but Newcastle officials have indicated there will be no position for him at the club next season.

MacDougall, who turned 33 in May, has been debating whether or not to hang up the boots after an illustrious career in which he has represented NSW and Australia and played in both of Newcastle's grand final triumphs.

But the Knights have little room to move under their salary cap for next season and apparently believe they have sufficient depth out wide.

"Adam is off contract, and as it stands, the Knights have not made him an offer for 2009," Knights strategic development manager Keith Onslow said.

"Whether that changes over the next four to six weeks remains to be seen."

MacDougall's agent, George Mimis, confirmed that suggestions the Knights would not re-sign MacDougall were "probably fairly accurate" but "it was a bit premature" to discuss what other options he had to consider.

MacDougall said yesterday he had "been umming and aahing" about what he would do next year and had already knocked back approaches from rugby union clubs overseas.

"There were a couple of offers there with timeframes attached, and I decided not to take them up," he said.

"I suppose I'm being indecisive, but you have to make sure you're making the right decision.

"My wife wants me to hurry up and make up my mind, but it's a big move, whatever I decide to do.

"It's a massive decision, and it's not one that I'm willing to make while our season is at such a crucial stage.

"I just don't want to take my focus off what we're trying to do here."

He said he was "realistic" enough to accept the Knights might not retain him next season.

MacDougall said he still felt physically capable of playing on next season and had some "interesting" options to consider, such as playing union in Japan or Europe.

"But I'm not thinking about that too much," he said. "That's what my manager is for. I'm trying to do the right thing by the club and my teammates.

"I don't want my focus clouded by self-interest.

"I honestly want to give 110 per cent and help us get into the finals."

Cleared to return from a calf injury against his old club South Sydney tomorrow, MacDougall said if this was to be his last season with Newcastle, he wanted it to be a memorable one.

"Like any player, I want to finish on a positive note," he said.

"I don't want my last game to be in Brisbane [in the last round]."

Newcastle already have Wes Naiqama, Junior Sau, Keith Lulia, Cooper Vuna, Akuila Uate, James McManus and MacDougall's younger brother Luke on their books for next season, so they are well stocked for outside backs.

They are also confident of signing Bulldogs prodigy Arana Taumata, who is reportedly versatile enough to play in the centres.

Meanwhile, Onslow has held further negotiations with Darryl Mather, who manages off-contract prop forwards Jesse Royal and Matt White.

Both players are keen to stay with the Knights, but the club's salary-cap situation means they would probably have to take pay cuts to do so.

Link

Serc

First Grade
Meanwhile, Onslow has held further negotiations with Darryl Mather, who manages off-contract prop forwards Jesse Royal and Matt White.

<Big Kev style voice> OHHHHHHHHHH YES!

Even nice to see White mentioned there too, I've been happy with what I've seen from him this year.

TooheysNew

Coach
But the Knights have little room to move under their salary cap for next season and apparently believe they have sufficient depth out wide.
Does this worry anyone else?

Jono078

Referee
Lol not good that players you'd assume to not be on much money will have to take pay cuts!

macavity

Referee
yeah, umm where exactly is this salary cap money going.

all I can think of is some contracts have been either front or back loaded.

if this is true, may the flying spaghetti monster help us, because we are a joke.

KempoKnight

Juniors
yeah, umm where exactly is this salary cap money going.

all I can think of is some contracts have been either front or back loaded.

if this is true, may the flying spaghetti monster help us, because we are a joke.

Didn't we resign/extend/upgrade contracts on Gidley, Mullo and Simpson and also resign Scotty and Jimmy?

With all due respect Onslow knows full well Aku will be worth three times what he is on now in twelve months time. I truly believe we will be pushing s### uphill trying to keep him after 2009. Rugby could poach him cos his potential is limitless. Could be as good as Inglis. His debut aginst cronulla had the right people talking and he is a deadset excitment machine.

Last edited:

Adsy

Juniors
Seriously there is no way with our playing roster that we should be 'pushing' the top of the salary cap.

If we don't keep atleast one of Royal and White then it's a bit of a joke.

reginald.p

Juniors
Doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of signing reserve grade players if we pay them first grade player money?

COB

Juniors
De Gois recieved a "very good offer " - Ricky Stuarts words.

If we had money , i am sure Smith would have bought them by now. Fringe 1st graders is all we can expect.

Yosh

Coach
I honestly would love to see how much money everyone is on... Then compare it with a club like the Roosters or Broncos and see how they keep their players? Then again money isnt the only thing, like location of the club and other factors come in but we can offer not much right?

General Knight

Juniors
Barring the penalty he gave away, great game by maddog today, funny how out of all the centres/wingers we have,hes about the only one who can create something out of nothing - Thats gotta say something.

I'd gladley give up the Vunas, Lulias, both dogs, Wes for an Inglis or Falou. Not like we are short on Backs. Forwards are where we need depth espcially if we are letting go of White and Royal.

Apey

Staff member
Lol! Today was awesome, gotta love the Doogs! Despite the stupid penalties he gave away, I won't forget the loud chant around me every time Doogs touched the ball:

"ONE MORE YEAR!" :lol:

keeney

First Grade
Doogs was a fave of mine up until he left for the Bunnies, and then still a sentimental fave. He had his problems last year, but averaged across the number of games hes had this year, he'd be our best back, with the exceptions of Sau and Uate (both with too minimal exposure to really consider). He consistently makes large metres and as has been said can create something in a way a lot of our younger more athletic backs can't. Not that I'd have a space for him at full strength next year, but I'd sign him up on incentives again, and I would have killed myself if I said that 6 months ago.

Alex28

Coach
He was great today...but the Rabbits were ordinary. Would he have had the same effect against the Storm or Eagles? Hell no.

His time has passed..