What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights eye Asotasi

Frederick

Staff member
What's the bet these "people" baron is talking about are Haynetrain and Moffo

Serc

First Grade
Anyway back to the topic at hand...I'd definitely be up for signing Asotasi, on paper would be the best prop we've had since Craig Smith in 2005 (how sad is it to say that...5 years!) and Cross' brief periods on the field in 2008 and 2009.

I have no idea where his 'serious knee injury' comes into things, but did have a quick look at his stats and he has by no means been bad for the last year or two. He is just what we need, even if he plays close to what he has in recent years, after the 05-07 period.

Johns Magic

Referee
As I said, I would like to get him at the right price serc.

However, when looking at those "by no means bad" stats for the last few seasons, keep in mind that he has been on $450,000 a year.

Serc

First Grade
Yes...as a Souths supporter I wouldn't be particularly impressed...but given the lack of quality props in the comp right now he is still right up there! 5-10 years ago he'd be back in the pack with the rest of them (but still above average)

I think someone suggested $250-300k or something earlier in the thread, and something below what he's on right now would be a good and fair offer, but we shouldn't forget that almost every club would be eyeing off any quality props that come onto the market at the moment.

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
I have a feeling that if he came here he would start picking up his act a bit more.

It's a crappy cliche and I hate it, but "a change of scenery might do him good".

I think in the all-star pack that Souths have, Asotasi is just one of a bunch. Being a leader of a pack may be what he needs.

As perv mentioned, he was playing well in the last couple of rounds this year. He's still more than capable.

My only issue is what he himself thinks he is worth.

Galeforce

Bench
he has been off and on because of injury , however was coming into solid form at backend of this season. So with no offseason commitments and injury free offseason preperation and NZ team "slap" , he should be ready for top season. hope Souths can afford to keep him !

Pika

Bench
he has been off and on because of injury , however was coming into solid form at backend of this season. So with no offseason commitments and injury free offseason preperation and NZ team "slap" , he should be ready for top season. hope Souths can afford to keep him !

What injuries was he carrying mate?

Galeforce

Bench
august 9 2009 -- neat summary of recent injuries

Asotasi overshadowed a stunning 36-22 upset NRL win over reigning premiers Manly on Saturday night.
The Rabbitohs moved to within a point of the top eight with their fourth victory in five matches, after overcoming an early 12-point deficit at Brookvale Oval.
But their post-match joy was short-lived after coach Jason Taylor had to tell his players their inspirational captain would miss at least six months after damaging the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.
The injury also rules the New Zealand international out of the Four Nations tournament in England in November.
Asotasi suffered the injury as he was dragged down just short of the line in the 65th minute, in another cruel blow after he missed the end of last season and New Zealand’s World Cup-winning campaign with a pectoral injury.
“I’m not having any luck in the last three years, I guess I’m going to have to start all over again,” a shattered Asotasi said

sneaky_is_here

Juniors
Bid for GI above board: Souths boss
Greg Prichard
November 10, 2010

'He isn't selfish . . . he's simply querying the figure' - Shane Richardson. Photo: Getty Images
SOUTH SYDNEY boss Shane Richardson has broken his silence on the club's bid for Greg Inglis, declaring they won't have to pay the superstar's legal bills to sign him and that the Test centre would have been lost to AFL or rugby union already were he only interested in money.

Richardson, who had remained quiet on the negotiations until last night, defended Inglis against what he regarded as grossly unfair criticisms, and refuted suggestions Souths must be rorting to fit him under the salary cap.

"The most sensible thing I've heard said through all of this is Anthony Mundine's comment that we should just be thankful Greg Inglis isn't going to quit league," Richardson said. "Everyone in league should be proud that he doesn't want to go, instead of smacking him around the ears because he's taking a bit of time to sort out his future.

Advertisement: Story continues below
"I know he's had big offers from the AFL – I know who they're from. I know he's had big offers from rugby union in France.

"We haven't signed Greg yet but we're optimistic it will happen. We'll be sitting down with his manager, Allan Gainey, starting tomorrow, and hopefully we'll get it done by the end of the week."

Melbourne, the club where Inglis made his name, yesterday gave Souths permission to officially negotiate with Inglis after the player's deal to join Brisbane fell through.

Richardson said Souths could fit in Inglis because of the combination of a $100,000 general increase in the cap for next year, a $150,000 increase in marquee player allowances, the fact $300,000 was saved when several players were not retained and the establishment of cap-exempt allowances for up to three cars for players.

He said if the Rabbitohs signed Inglis, the deal would hopefully be for three years, with the payment to be slightly restricted under the cap for next year, and increased when the club had more room under the cap for 2012 and '13.

Richardson assured Souths fans that no player – least of all captain Roy Asotasi, as had been speculated – would have to be cut to make room for Inglis under the cap, saying: "Roy isn't going anywhere. He'll be the captain at Souths again next year."

Inglis is known for his work with the indigenous community, and Richardson said the work the Rabbitohs do in the same field – through the club's Souths Cares program – were among the factors that most attracted Inglis to the club.

"Souths are really proud of what we do in that area," Richardson said. "And I know for a fact that if Greg joins our club, he wants to get involved in that. Anthony Mundine has helped us with that program and Greg is big on the importance of doing that work as well.

"Greg Inglis seems to be getting portrayed in the negative by some people at the moment but all he is trying to do is make the right decision for his future. He isn't selfish, he isn't a mercenary, and he's not saying he doesn't owe some money in legal bills – he's simply querying the figure."

The $113,000 bill in question is for the legal defence Inglis employed against charges of assaulting his fiancee, Sally Robinson. It has been reported that Inglis won't be cleared to play for any club in the NRL until that bill is paid but Richardson is adamant that is incorrect.

"We're working through that with Greg's solicitor, Keith Bagley, and in consultation with the NRL," Richardson said. "We're not going to pay the legal bill, and our understanding is that our contract negotiations with Greg are a separate issue to the legal bill.

"Greg accepts he owes some money but it's a matter of how much. He received a bill, and he's querying it, which he's entitled to do – the same as if you got a plumber and you thought the bill was extreme. That will be worked out but in the meantime our legal advice is that it can't stop Greg from signing a deal with Souths.

"Our deal, should Greg sign it, will be all above board and we will have no problem with the NRL examining it

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...i-above-board-souths-boss-20101109-17m4b.html

Could be a load of sh*t, but saying he will be the captain next year is a big thing.

Last edited:

shane1970

Juniors
I know the NRL is now a business - but this whole thing, to me anyway, says a LOT about the type of person Russell Crowe is!

league

Juniors
I've got it from a very good source than Roy is close to signing with the Knights! Should be within the next couple of weeks. A great pick up for your lot and with Neville coming over from the mighty Saints then I think Knights are every chance of a top four finish next year.

RABK

Referee
I've got it from a very good source than Roy is close to signing with the Knights! Should be within the next couple of weeks. A great pick up for your lot and with Neville coming over from the mighty Saints then I think Knights are every chance of a top four finish next year.

Hope you are right. I'm normally in the know about things like this but i've not heard a thing about this.

I assumed when Richardson said 'Asotasi will be our captain next year' it was too bold a statement to be smoke and mirrors.