What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights go down in first American NRL playoff

Adsy

Juniors
Who are we? The Wildcats!
Who are we going to beat? The Wildcats!

Sorry had to get my Simpsons quote in there.

black knight

Juniors
Hahaha dude, playing league on astroturf would not be fun!!!!!
I play gridiron on it and even with knee pads, shoulder pads and helmets you get grazed up deluxe.....

roopy

Referee
out of interest why isnt grass used?
They like astroturf over there because it's low maintenance and you can play games on it 7 days a week without worry, and they reckon the newest forms are as good as grass in every way.

black knight

Juniors
Yep, coz there's like 4 seasons in one country on any given Sunday!!! Plus, it looks pretty cool. There is a college somewhere that has a blue astroturf field. That's pretty trippy...

roopy

Referee
From wikipedia

The Knights currently use the Pier 40, Hudson River Park Stadium located on the Hudson River in New York[7] as their home ground and they will do the same for the 2007 season. The Stadium is often referred to as The Castle because of the architecture and surrounding river, give the park a Castle like appearance[8].
The Stadium currently seats several thousand and over the 2005 off-season underwent renovation work to update the ground including the installation of artificial turf meaning it is the only AMNRL venue with this type of turf.[9].
The Stadium is also used for soccer fixtures.

roopy

Referee
051205APhoto01.jpg

roopy

Referee
The quality of US league just gets higher and higher every time you see them play.
The defence in the backs is very dusty, but they get the attack pretty quickly, and defenders who are a bit small for gridiron make great RL forwards who love a big hit.

Misanthrope

Staff member
How closely affiliated with us are the New York Knights? What, exactly, do they gain through affiliation with the Knights?

roopy

Referee
How closely affiliated with us are the New York Knights? What, exactly, do they gain through affiliation with the Knights?
We sent them a set of used jerseys once - which was enough for them to change their name from New York Broncos to New York Knights.

Adsy

Juniors
We should chuck a Rusty's rabbits and play a trial game against them next season.

roopy

Referee
We should chuck a Rusty's rabbits and play a trial game against them next season.
The USA side played Wyong about 5 years ago and got beaten by 60 or 70.
Former Knights lower grader Dean Amos tore them to bits. (I went to the game).
They are a heap better now, but Wyong would still be too strong for them.

Adsy

Juniors
The USA side played Wyong about 5 years ago and got beaten by 60 or 70.
Former Knights lower grader Dean Amos tore them to bits. (I went to the game).
They are a heap better now, but Wyong would still be too strong for them.

:lol: That is classic.

I remember when Aus almost lost to the US on astro turf a few years back. Bloody Newton running out for the Yanks.

roopy

Referee
:lol: That is classic.

I remember when Aus almost lost to the US on astro turf a few years back. Bloody Newton running out for the Yanks.
That game showed what a great coach Cartwright is.
He had very little to work with, and gave the Aussies a scare.

The Yank backs are all like Uate or George Carmont in defence - they just have no idea on when to commit to a tackle - but their forwards convert over from Gridiron pretty well.
They had a 20 year old prop who had played 6 games of league in his life in the game v Aus, and he smashed O'meley and Mason.