What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights Land Gagai

perverse

Referee
If you're any good you're playing NRL at 20 or getting a real job.
I've had my say on everything else said in the thread already, so won't repeat myself but this bit in particular is a weird one for me. I think this has as much to do with the gap between reserve grade and NRL ever widening, and other pathways related issues than it does with player age. Fwiw, a player coming through a good system is far more likely to show their hand by 20 than one from ours. Hell most of ours never show their hand.

With modern medical and sports science, we're seeing athletes across all sports compete well into their 30s. The age of players in Rugby league has as much to do with our poorly setup pathways (in the case of debut ages) and options available to veterans (such as inflated paycheques in the super league, and an easy ride that can prolong the career even more, for anyone that's sniffed NRL).

Ultimately, for mine, a lot of players that could still contribute in the NRL get chucked aside due to the above factors. Some kids aren't ready at 19-20. Not all players develop at an even pace. I just don't really believe in this whole by this age or that age, at the start or the end of a career. Depends entirely on the player. I feel like most people are using it as a stick to hit with, simply because they don't like or want Gagai back specifically.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
I've had my say on everything else said in the thread already, so won't repeat myself but this bit in particular is a weird one for me. I think this has as much to do with the gap between reserve grade and NRL ever widening, and other pathways related issues than it does with player age. Fwiw, a player coming through a good system is far more likely to show their hand by 20 than one from ours. Hell most of ours never show their hand.

With modern medical and sports science, we're seeing athletes across all sports compete well into their 30s. The age of players in Rugby league has as much to do with our poorly setup pathways (in the case of debut ages) and options available to veterans (such as inflated paycheques in the super league, and an easy ride that can prolong the career even more, for anyone that's sniffed NRL).

Ultimately, for mine, a lot of players that could still contribute in the NRL get chucked aside due to the above factors. Some kids aren't ready at 19-20. Not all players develop at an even pace. I just don't really believe in this whole by this age or that age, at the start or the end of a career. Depends entirely on the player. I feel like most people are using it as a stick to hit with, simply because they don't like or want Gagai back specifically.
I think you'll find Gagai is a player that most fans around the league have a pretty broad spectrum on in terms of rating his ability, you obviously have a higher opinion of him than most and that's fair enough, I'll admit he's probably had his best season this year playing down that ridiculously potent south's left hand side so kudos to him. If he can give us 3 years worth of something similar to this year I'll be over the moon, I just don't want to see the version of him we saw in his last year here where he phoned it in quite a few times, didn't bother with defence and had an obsession with cutting infield, running sideways and starving his winger

Spot On

Coach
While Gags keeps getting picked at Origin level after again missing a truck load of tackles (a series topping 24 missed tackles and that is ignoring the tackles he should have been attempting to make but didn't get close), the supporters with the goggles on will rate him a lot higher than most.

If we are after a good defensive centre, then Dane is not the man. If we are after an attacking centre who has the ability to score a heap of tries, then Dane is not the man. If our coaches want to move the ball around and see it get out wide then Dane can pass to his winger and he can play a role there.

If we want a winger next year then hopefully he is paid accordingly (not much) and he plays in the position he is most suited to and can do a job for us there.

If things don't go our way next year, and the going gets tough as it usually does in Newcastle, will Dane be the man?

Wayne Bennett had a lot to say when Newcastle were 'rebuilding' under Brown when the decision to let Gagai go was made. He was very critical of us letting a player of Dane's ability walk. He had a fair shot at Brown and the club.

We'll, well, well. Souths have stuck to their guns and decided they will better without him and waved him off.

Brisbane, even with parochial Queenslander Ben Ikin now the Head of Football, have pulled the pin on bringing him back.

Welcome to Newcastle.

Yosh

Coach
While Gags keeps getting picked at Origin level after again missing a truck load of tackles (a series topping 24 missed tackles and that is ignoring the tackles he should have been attempting to make but didn't get close), the supporters with the goggles on will rate him a lot higher than most.

If we are after a good defensive centre, then Dane is not the man. If we are after an attacking centre who has the ability to score a heap of tries, then Dane is not the man. If our coaches want to move the ball around and see it get out wide then Dane can pass to his winger and he can play a role there.

If we want a winger next year then hopefully he is paid accordingly (not much) and he plays in the position he is most suited to and can do a job for us there.

If things don't go our way next year, and the going gets tough as it usually does in Newcastle, will Dane be the man?

Wayne Bennett had a lot to say when Newcastle were 'rebuilding' under Brown when the decision to let Gagai go was made. He was very critical of us letting a player of Dane's ability walk. He had a fair shot at Brown and the club.

We'll, well, well. Souths have stuck to their guns and decided they will better without him and waved him off.

Brisbane, even with parochial Queenslander Ben Ikin now the Head of Football, have pulled the pin on bringing him back.

Welcome to Newcastle.

What is your point the last few sentences? Brisbane don't need a gun centre, they already have Staggs and are looking to improve their spine. Why would they want Gagai? Ikin wasn't recruited because they wanted him to sign every Maroon player out there. He was there to basically do the opposite.

Souths, by all reports, did want to keep him but they couldn't reach an agreement. Gagai is looking to secure a decent last contract in the NRL and he took the best option available to him. We didn't pay overs or outbid anyone to get Gagai. He literally lowered his wage demands, so out of good faith, we added another year. Good business sense. The club wanted a happy Gagai coming here next year, not someone who was forced to sign a one way deal.

Furthermore, I'm assuming we mainly want him to come here not to hard carry the side but to help develop our younger lads in the outside backs to become professionals and winners (like Klemmer did for our forwards). He ain't going to lose that ability when he is 33.

All in all, is the ideal situation? No. Would I much rather we signed Staggs for $600k a season, of course. However, the club made the best with what they had. It also means no more Mann in the starting side, which is worth every cent of Gagai's contract if you ask me.

Spot On

Coach
It's pretty clear Yosh...

Gagai is a winger. Brisbane, under Ikin it would seem, are not going to pay the dollars we are for a winger that we'll play in the centres. Looked as though they were trying to offload Milford and the huge payday mistake Bennett made with him through a player swap with Gagai. Make of that what you will, but it would seem it was a poor deal for someone. If Brisbane wanted Gagai so badly, they would have gone hard for him. They are under a lot more pressure to get it right than this club will ever be.

Souths have drawn a line in the sand with their older players. Take it or leave it approach. They don't want to pay overs for 30yr + players anymore. They have been very staunch on that hence the one year deal offer. I referenced Souths as Bennett threw stones at us for allowing him to leave but now Souths clearly aren't prepared to keep him on his terms. Hypocritical really considering Bennett has not (as far as I know) had a shot at Souths for letting such 'talent' (as he called it when Newy let him walk) go. Remember, many in here have declared Gagai is a much better player than when he was at Newcastle.

We have a different philosophy to both the above mentioned clubs. Neither really wanted him that badly it would seem. All baulked at his asking price and Souths at his length of contract. But we've happily given him most of what he wants. If Gagai lowered his price to that of a decent first grade winger then we can live with it. What price did we secure him for Yosh?

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
I think you'll find Gagai is a player that most fans around the league have a pretty broad spectrum on in terms of rating his ability, you obviously have a higher opinion of him than most and that's fair enough, I'll admit he's probably had his best season this year playing down that ridiculously potent south's left hand side so kudos to him. If he can give us 3 years worth of something similar to this year I'll be over the moon, I just don't want to see the version of him we saw in his last year here where he phoned it in quite a few times, didn't bother with defence and had an obsession with cutting infield, running sideways and starving his winger
It's not so much that i have a massive opinion of him (I'm probably middle of the road on him, not a great defender but will provide for us in attack and out of yardage) - but I'm super anti our current status quo, and will take a solid improvement in the outside backs. I can see the upside.

Woosh

Head Moderator
WhileWe'll, well, well. Souths have stuck to their guns and decided they will better without him and waved him off.

Welcome to Newcastle.

Nice story babe.
Souths offered Reynolds and Gagai a one year deal.
The player that wasn’t offer a new deal was Su’a.
What does Bennett have anything to with Souths for next season and beyond?
He won’t be their coach.

Watch the press conference from Kevin Walters after the Broncos vs Panthers game last night.

Reporter: Gagai decided to go to Newcastle and didn’t come here. Are you disappointed?

Walters: Yeah Dane had a decision to make and he made it and we respect that.
He’s a good fella and Queenslander.
We will move on from there and have a look at what else is available.

Keep on making up stories to suit your narrative.
It’s cute like your face xo

Woosh

Head Moderator
I just don't want to see the version of him we saw in his last year here where he phoned it in quite a few times, didn't bother with defence and had an obsession with cutting infield, running sideways and starving his winger.

He leads the NRL for centres for line break assist and in less games as well.

Dane Gagai - 16 Games
12 Line Break Assists

Stephen Crichton - 18 Games
11 Line Break Assists

Justin Olam - 18 Games
10 Line Break Assists

Joseph Manu - 18 Games
8 Line Break Assists

Yeah Gagai is playing on the end of a potent backline etc etc
What are the likes Crichton, Olam and Manu playing on the end of though?

And for argument sakes looking at the current Knights centres..

Bradman Best - 10 Games
3 Line Break Assists

Kurt Mann - 18 Games
2 Line Break Assists

Enari Tula - 18 Games
3 Line Break Assists

I don’t think age affects the ability of a player to set up their outside man.
If anything it should improve.

Jono078

Referee
I think that stat is a bit misleading for a centre. More often than not the hard work has been done before they get the ball and then it's usually a 2-on-1.

I don't think he's making these super runs on his own then putting his winger away.

Promise you Best would have a great linebreak assist line if he were in those top 3 or 4 teams too.

aqua_duck

Coach
He leads the NRL for centres for line break assist and in less games as well.

Dane Gagai - 16 Games
12 Line Break Assists

Stephen Crichton - 18 Games
11 Line Break Assists

Justin Olam - 18 Games
10 Line Break Assists

Joseph Manu - 18 Games
8 Line Break Assists

Yeah Gagai is playing on the end of a potent backline etc etc
What are the likes Crichton, Olam and Manu playing on the end of though?

And for argument sakes looking at the current Knights centres..

Bradman Best - 10 Games
3 Line Break Assists

Kurt Mann - 18 Games
2 Line Break Assists

Enari Tula - 18 Games
3 Line Break Assists

I don’t think age affects the ability of a player to set up their outside man.
If anything it should improve.
Perhaps you need to learn to read moron, I clearly said he's had his best season this year and kudos to him, why are you bringing up stats from this year when I was referring to his play from 4 years ago

Yosh

Coach
What's the issue??

Is he worse than our current options?
Is he being paid overs?
Hasn't he won a ton of individual and team accolades?
Won't he add experience to our inexperienced backline?
Did we miss our on a special talent to land him?
Does he not want to be here and is only coming for the money?

What's the issue?

aqua_duck

Coach
What's the issue??

Is he worse than our current options?
Is he being paid overs?
Hasn't he won a ton of individual and team accolades?
Won't he add experience to our inexperienced backline?
Did we miss our on a special talent to land him?
Does he not want to be here and is only coming for the money?

What's the issue?
As I said before my main issue is his age and length of contract which I think is a legitimate concern when you look around the league and see all the 32-33 year old outside backs killing it........
For me the biggest issue is that pest Woosh is back in our lives

Woosh

Head Moderator
Perhaps you need to learn to read moron, I clearly said he's had his best season this year and kudos to him, why are you bringing up stats from this year when I was referring to his play from 4 years ago

Why are you bringing up what he did 4 years ago moron?
He’s obviously not the same player 4 years ago dumb ass.

macavity

Referee
Gagai wasn't "let go" by us, he told us he wanted to leave - wanted to play for a winning team.

Woosh

Head Moderator
Gagai wasn't "let go" by us, he told us he wanted to leave - wanted to play for a winning team.

Inglis wanted him at Souths as he was going through a tough period in his life.

Greg Inglis had checked himself into rehab only a few days earlier when Shane Richardson popped in to visit on a Sunday afternoon in May.

Even then, when all that should have mattered was looking after the man the in the mirror, Inglis was more concerned with those around him.

''I can't imagine the amount of pressure he would have been under at the time,'' the South Sydney Rabbitohs general manager said.

''But I walked into the room, and the first thing he said to me was 'what's happening with Dane Gagai'.''
Inglis wasn't wallowing in self pity. Nor had he become so disengaged he stopped thinking about those around him. Amid his own battles through a mental health illness, he still wanted to know.
''Has anyone rung him?'' Inglis asked as he begun quizzing his close friend over the club’s pursuit of Gagai.
''I will get on to him now and make sure everything's OK.''

General Knight

Juniors
I always thought we let him go, well indirectly anyway. IIRC at the time we were signing all these new players yet had not begun discussions with him about his contract which inturn made him feel unwanted and go elsewhere. Thought he always loved the club and never wanted to leave But hey i could be wrong.

macavity

Referee
I always thought we let him go, well indirectly anyway. IIRC at the time we were signing all these new players yet had not begun discussions with him about his contract which inturn made him feel unwanted and go elsewhere. Thought he always loved the club and never wanted to leave But hey i could be wrong.

you are wrong mate, he told the club not to make him an offer as he wouldn’t be staying.

Old dog

Juniors
All water under the bridge, he’s back now and for a few years, doesn’t matter if he left or was shown the door.

My biggest issue with Gagai apart from his many deficiencies as a player is the way he literally phoned in so many games for us. It wasn't just his last season. There's not much ticker in him and a bit of heart is what the club needs.

It's just so yuck knowing he's coming back...ugh...wtf are we doing with all these big backward step signings?

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
My biggest issue with Gagai apart from his many deficiencies as a player is the way he literally phoned in so many games for us. It wasn't just his last season. There's not much ticker in him and a bit of heart is what the club needs.

It's just so yuck knowing he's coming back...ugh...wtf are we doing with all these big backward step signings?
I’m not sure when he phoned it in? Sure he wasn’t great but he played in what was virtually a reserve trade team. Gagai copped a lot of stick back then for performances that were a reflection of where the club was at. I think because he was our only higher profile player at the time he was an easy target.

I don’t blame him for leaving when he did, he had been through 3 wooden spoon seasons in a row and wanted to be part of a successful organisation and at the time there was no guarantee that we were any closer to being one.

I’d say our recruitment has been pretty good over the last couple of years so I’m not sure what the backward step signings are.