What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights Land Gagai

mozza91

Coach
He’s a better player than when he left and is a huge upgrade on what we currently have.

Not sure about the 3 years though. Welcome back Dane.

Oof... this club never learns does it?

Marginally better than when he left but now in his twilight years and quite often an absolute embarrassment defensively. Of all the players we've let go, Gagai is one of the last I'd welcome back. Phoned in many a game for us...

Apey

Staff member
Not happy with this but would like to be proven wrong. He's pretty old, still defensively weak and knowing us we probably overpaid for him. No doubt he's still an upgrade but as perverse said it will depend on the price whether it's a good signing or not.

Apey

Staff member
Oh yes you are kidding yourself if you think we've seen the end of Mann after re-signing him for 2 years haha.

perverse

Referee
and knowing us we probably overpaid for him.
Definitely possible, but given we offered Finucane lower than other clubs, and a shorter length, I'm actually a little optimistic that we didn't budge on this one too much. It took a while to get this deal done, and it seemed like Gags actively sought us out and wanted to come back and finish in Newie.

I hope it's not too much overs, but I'm actually pretty hopeful that we got below market rate on this deal. I think we actually had some leverage here. I think he would have bitten our hand off for the deal if it was a market rate deal to come back where he wanted to go anyway.

perverse

Referee
3 years $1.3m would feel like a win I reckon.
That would be a very good price. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit more than that, but tbh I don't expect it to be more than 1.5. He was seeking 700k by the rumours, I don't think we'll be paying him anywhere near that. All speculation and reading between lines though, I don't know anything.

If we got him at 1.3m or close to it, we should be sending a few thank you cards to Lattrell.

Jono078

Referee
Oh I just posted in the rumor thread, didn't realise it was official (didn't read the article, assume it is by this thread).

I don't like it. Hope we haven't upped our offer in desperation.

Don't like offering a 30 year-old back a 3-year contract either. You watch him come here for 3 years and spend more time on the sidelines than playing - it's the Knights way.

I also can't understand how Finucane and Gagai have been our two big targets when we have someone like Zammit who is meant to be one of the best at identifying good young talent.

Yosh

Coach
I hope he isn't coming for an easy end of career pay packet. He knows Newcastle is breezy so wants to come and surf and enjoy being a star in a one team city.

Or he wants to prove everyone wrong and rewrite the crappy time he had here. Wonder if we will ever know how much he is getting paid.