What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights Lower Grade Stuff

PhilGould

Bench
Every aspect of roster management is O'Sullivan's job including scouting, negotiating and cap management. Parr would sign off on O'Sullivan's decisions technically but you don't get the most expensive recruitment manager in the game for him to then be told how to do his job.

In certain circumstances you might have the CEO come over the top and take decisions out of the GM's hands, like it was reported Gardner negotiated one of Ponga's extensions himself.

aqua_duck

Coach
Typically recruitment will involve a panel which id imagine in this case would be Parr, O’Sullivan and AOB along with whoever looks after the books in terms of salary cap budgeting (CFO). I’d imagine Gardner would be spending most of his time looking after the Wests side of the business which includes 6 registered clubs and an events centre and probably would only get involved for high level things. Given O’Sullivan comes with a huge reputation he’d have a lot of say in what the roster looks like compared to Adam Doyle.

Yosh

Coach
Ah so O'Sullivan isn't just in charge of youth recruiting. He will recruit all ages and all positions??

aqua_duck

Coach
Ah so O'Sullivan isn't just in charge of youth recruiting. He will recruit all ages and all positions??
I’d say O’Sullivan will be tasked to build up our scouting network at junior levels and will be a keen observer at all the schoolboy carnivals

aqua_duck

Coach
So the Telegraph named their top 50 high school prospects in the country and Cody Hopwood was ranked number 2. Other top 50 were Zac Herdegen who’s a halfback from Qld we pinched from the broncos who’s ranked 34 and Jack Hillier a prop in Flegg ranked 37.

Woody90

Juniors
For the first time in years I’m genuinely really excited about how well our pathways are going and a lot of the prospects.

That was even before O’Sullivan’s appointment, but now even more so with him on board.

Woody90

Juniors
He’ll be at the Roosters in 3 years.

I don’t know tbh. I think this year has shown that the idea that the Roosters get everyone they set their sights on is a bit of a myth.

Can understand the appeal of Bondi for a young pommie lad like Dom but that doesnt mean that kids that come through our pathways will want to go there. Armstrong and Gagai already told them no.

We’ll definitely keep losing some to them, that’s inevitable, but hopefully with O’Sullivan on board we keep the ones we want to. Offering him a top 30 spot is such a good sign to him that he’s valued.

Yosh

Coach
Can anyone see Hastings staying beyond his current contract? We did extend Gamble's contract so we see him as at least a main backup.

I'm happy enough with

1. Ponga
6. Pryce
7. Gamble
9. Crossland
14. Jones

However a more dominant half would be most welcome.

perverse

Referee
Can anyone see Hastings staying beyond his current contract? We did extend Gamble's contract so we see him as at least a main backup.

I'm happy enough with

1. Ponga
6. Pryce
7. Gamble
9. Crossland
14. Jones

However a more dominant half would be most welcome.
I suspect the missing piece of the puzzle hasn't been signed yet. I can't see Hastings getting another deal, but he'll be replaced too. If reports about Hastings wage are somewhat accurate, and we manage to move on DSaf and Brails, we'll probably have a fair bit of cash to splash around too without losing much at all in the squad all things considered.

If I had to look into my crystall ball i'd say that Brails gets replaced by an internal promotion, Tyrone Thompson drops in to replace DSaf, Hastings is moved on and we go all out with the spare change from all of these movements to go really hard on an established half. At least, if I were O'Sullivan, AOB and Gardner, the above would be my approach... the question is who do you go after? You could probably free the money up for a star/marquee signing if the above player movements fall in our favour.

perverse

Referee
There isn't anyone that is a clear upgrade on a semi-fit Hastings (who I wouldn't re-sign either).

Going to have to manufacture one or take a punt on a kid.
Or, someone agitates for a release. But yes, it's not immediately obvious who we'd target. I can see where the money would come from, where to spend it will be difficult. Still a question mark on how much of Dsafs wage can be freed up.