What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights star told to shape up

BG

Juniors
Knights star told to shape up

AARON LAWTON - Sunday News | Sunday, 10 August 2008

TUBBY winger Cooper Vuna says he's been told to shed some kilos and buck up his ideas by Newcastle coach Brian Smith.

The former Warrior, who left the club for the Knights halfway through last season, started the year as Smith's first-choice wing.
However, in the past four weeks Vuna has only played one full game and last night he revealed to Sunday News he has been having problems off the field.
"He (Smith) hasn't really said too much about why I'm not in the starting side right now but I've taken it as a sign about my professionalism," Vuna said.
"I've missed a lot of appointments and stuff like that lately and I also think I need to drop some weight.
"It's not just Brian who has said a bit about my weight.
"All the boys have been saying it too."
While his NRL profile says he weighs in at 97kg, Vuna says his real weight would be higher than that.
He also admits his fluctuating size has a lot to do with attitude.
"I'm carrying too much weight because I've been treating myself too much during the season," said Vuna.
"I guess I got too comfortable with my place in the first-grade side and I think I got carried away with the glory and that sort of thing."
"He (Smith) gave me a couple of weeks off and told me to get myself sorted."
Vuna says he fell out of favour with Smith after missing several team video sessions.
"I missed some video appointments," he said.
"Brian has texted me heaps of times and I haven't had credit on my phone to text him back.
"Sometimes I forget about it.
"I have to get back into Brian's good books and that's certainly one of my goals."
Vuna has been named on an extended Knights bench ahead of tomorrow night's clash with the Titans and he says he hopes to win his coach's favour back.
"The weight is also a personal thing I'm trying to sort out," he said.
"Hopefully I get my jersey back this week.
"I guess you could say I've been taking a little bit of a break.
"I'm trying to get myself back to form and Brian has included me in the squad for Monday's match against the Titans."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sundaynews/4650050a15599.html

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sundaynews/4650050a15599.html

shane1970

Juniors
Missing sessions - weight problems - poor attitude all adds up to poor form and that's what he was showing on the field - WAKE UP COOPER - You are a supposed professional footballer now - Get down off your 'high horse' and realise your potential.
And as for not having credit on your phone - surely you earn enough coin for a $10 text card!!!!!!!!!!

gordsy

Juniors
How can he not afford credit for his phone :shock: I'm sure he's on good money compared to the average punter

Serc

First Grade
Wish it was Wicks getting the kick up the arse...

At least we can be confident of Cooper getting back on track, he's certainly a few steps ahead of Wicks in fixing his problems. I also enjoy seeing the excitement he shows from the bench whenever we score a try...he seems to really have the passion for it all.

Jono078

Referee
Lol texting aside at least he realises he isn't as good as he can be this time of the year.

Hopefully he gets things sorted out, although may be too late for him to do anything to get a spot back this year.

Karmawave

Bench
Great to see Coach Smith is back to his texting best.

Wonder what Brian Smith's SMS bill is since he joined Newcastle - quite expensive I say.

I'm sure the players just love it. ;-)

Nuke

Staff member
Overweight, attitute problems ...

Sounds like we have ourselves another Owen Craigie.

Yosh

Coach
Dont clubs have like dudes Vuna can get some personal one on one advice from? Like a personal trainer or soemthing who would help him out with a plan to lose a certain amount of kilos or something?

Burwood

Bench
Dont clubs have like dudes Vuna can get some personal one on one advice from? Like a personal trainer or soemthing who would help him out with a plan to lose a certain amount of kilos or something?

A club could have a 100 guys, but they are of no use if you choose to ignore them...

Pika

Bench
He is a grown man and a professional athlete.

It is harder not to be in shape in the training environment the Knights have.

It would take a special kind of effort to be over weight.

Apart from Wicks and Vuna, every player this year has met weight, strength and speed goals.

cram

Bench
He is a grown man and a professional athlete.

It is harder not to be in shape in the training environment the Knights have.

It would take a special kind of effort to be over weight.

Apart from Wicks and Vuna, every player this year has met weight, strength and speed goals.

Well at leasts he is special......:lol: