What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights: Stars could follow Bennett

We really are speculating on most items at the moment.
I know Mamo's contract expires at end of 2014 but does anyone know Beau Scott's contract status?

Yeah he's contracted until he retires with a clause stating he can't play for any other club ever.

GT0007

Juniors
Where's the confirmation he is leaving? Has it come up in the other thread?

Just rumour which arose with Price at the helm. If Thompsons body language and form is anything to go by I'd bet he'll stay. He belts out the team song and has been pumped up with the wins. Going back to Canberra surely would be depressing with seemingly no light at the end of the tunnel just the typical Stuart failures. I should add that Canberra is only 2.5hrs to Wollongong and if he lives south of the gong obviously less, not like its interstate

Last edited:

GT0007

Juniors
We really are speculating on most items at the moment.
I know Mamo's contract expires at end of 2014 but does anyone know Beau Scott's contract status?

Signed to the end of 2016 at which point he will be 32 yrs old and on $500k per season. I can't see many players following Bennett other than Boyd. Cuthbertson, Mason and Houston all off contract though I don't know what deals theyve been on. They have most of their good players signed up for next year and beyond

rainman44

Bench
Signed to the end of 2016 at which point he will be 32 yrs old and on $500k per season. I can't see many players following Bennett other than Boyd. Cuthbertson, Mason and Houston all off contract though I don't know what deals theyve been on. They have most of their good players signed up for next year and beyond
He might have a clause if Bennett leaves which i think is very likely, we can sign him for three years which will take him to 33, with our young squad Scott would be perfect.

GT0007

Juniors
He might have a clause if Bennett leaves which i think is very likely, we can sign him for three years which will take him to 33, with our young squad Scott would be perfect.

We could sign him for 3yrs but I doubt he'd see out the whole contract. He's still playing great footy and I'm certain he can play at least 2yrs unless injuries become more frequent. We don't know what's in his contract but I doubt he would have that clause as he signed beyond Bennetts contract in anycase as Bennett was signed til the end of 2015 and Scott 2016

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
Boyd and Scott are 1 package with WB.
To be honest, I rate them both, but wouldn't be devastated if neither came across.
Great players... yes. We have enough depth in the backs and Scott, a great beast,
would be nice, but i hope not at the cost of people like Friz, JDB, etc.
If we can fit him in... great.

smi962

First Grade
Where would you play Boyd, no room in the back line and hence a waste of money. Scott would be good though.

GT0007

Juniors
Where would you play Boyd, no room in the back line and hence a waste of money. Scott would be good though.

Boyd would definately be at fullback and Quinlan as utility being groomed to take over for Benji when the time comes. Do we need Boyd? Not sure on that one, depends is he going to have a go or be a sook. Ask the knights fans what they think of him. At his best he is a big asset

bottle

Coach
The elite players play on longer nowadays if their bodies allow. 32 isn't that old.
Firstly, it's their livelihood so that's a fairly big incentive.
Secondly, as professionals they get all of the medical, rehab, nutritional, training and supplemental :)sarcasm:) support they need to kick on.

TruSaint said:
Boyd and Scott are 1 package with WB.

Not so sure about Boyd Tru.
There were already rumours about him heading out before the Bennett news, and the heavy current mail is that he is Dessie bound with the Dogs.

GT0007

Juniors
The elite players play on longer nowadays if their bodies allow. 32 isn't that old.
Firstly, it's their livelihood so that's a fairly big incentive.
Secondly, as professionals they get all of the medical, rehab, nutritional, training and supplemental :)sarcasm:) support they need to kick on.

Bottle no matter what you say 32 is old for a footy player, while some play past it they are very few

bottle

Coach
Bottle no matter what you say 32 is old for a footy player, while some play past it they are very few

Hodges is 32, Smith and Slater both 31.
Petero was older.
Menzies played till he was 40.
Matt Cooper was 34.
Jeremy Smith is 34.
Willie Mason is 34
Paul Gallen is 32.

That's without trying too hard.
It's an individual thing. There is no 'one rule fits all' here.

GT0007

Juniors
Hodges is 32, Smith and Slater both 31.
Petero was older.
Menzies played till he was 40.
Matt Cooper was 34.
Jeremy Smith is 34.
Willie Mason is 34
Paul Gallen is 32.

That's without trying too hard.
It's an individual thing. There is no 'one rule fits all' here.

I agree but u sort of proved my point cos you only mentioned a few over 32. I'm not saying in anyway players can't play past that but the odds are against it and maybe the style of game they play is relative in regard to whether they rely on skills, strength or attitude, diet, whether they are good trainers or healers etc or just made of stuff that doesn't break down so easy. There are many variables and I took the luxury of generalizing. There are 400 contracted players in the NRL and you mentioned 4 that are currently playing 32 or over. I'm sure there's a few more but u must see they are short odds? Menzies is and was a freak as he played the game tough, Gall has at least 2yrs IMO, Smith I think can play at the top level for 3 or 4 but he is a clinician who doesnt rely on the physicality but still matches it. The big 3 are freaks and will play longer than most in their positions but they will be overcome before they retire. Like Danny Buderus was by Smith, Danny came back and was still a great player but once his time at the top was surpassed there was no denying it

bottle

Coach
I agree but u sort of proved my point cos you only mentioned a few over 32. I'm not saying in anyway players can't play past that but the odds are against it and maybe the style of game they play is relative in regard to whether they rely on skills, strength or attitude, diet, whether they are good trainers or healers etc or just made of stuff that doesn't break down so easy. There are many variables and I took the luxury of generalizing. There are 400 contracted players in the NRL and you mentioned 4 that are currently playing 32 or over. I'm sure there's a few more but u must see they are short odds? Menzies is and was a freak as he played the game tough, Gall has at least 2yrs IMO, Smith I think can play at the top level for 3 or 4 but he is a clinician who doesnt rely on the physicality but still matches it. The big 3 are freaks and will play longer than most in their positions but they will be overcome before they retire. Like Danny Buderus was by Smith, Danny came back and was still a great player but once his time at the top was surpassed there was no denying it

Not really, I rattled off a few without trying. There are plenty more but I'm not going to research all night. Of course the numbers dwindle off in the latter years, only to be expected.

No question it's a young man's game and the numbers are in the favour of youth, but that's irrelevant to the issue I was raising which is that players play on longer these days, much more so than they once did.

The salient point is that just because Beau Scott would be 33 at the end of a three year contract does not mean he is too old for us to be looking at him. He is still playing strongly and there is no apparent reason to think he can't contribute well into his 30's. We shouldn't be dismissing considering him on that basis. I don't agree that '32 is old for a footy player'. I maintain it's an individual thing. Scott is an athlete and a competitor. On his current form, I'd sign him to 3 years tomorrow dependent on salary cap considerations only, not his current age.

Agree with this!

It's all just a "maybe", but....

Scott, Thompson, Frizelle!
Now that is the making of an AWESOME set of forwards.

Bennett as coach.

watch us Go!

Fingers crossed.
Dusty.
Make it so.

PS - forget Boyd and the rest!

GT0007

Juniors
Not really, I rattled off a few without trying. There are plenty more but I'm not going to research all night. Of course the numbers dwindle off in the latter years, only to be expected.

No question it's a young man's game and the numbers are in the favour of youth, but that's irrelevant to the issue I was raising which is that players play on longer these days, much more so than they once did.

The salient point is that just because Beau Scott would be 33 at the end of a three year contract does not mean he is too old for us to be looking at him. He is still playing strongly and there is no apparent reason to think he can't contribute well into his 30's. We shouldn't be dismissing considering him on that basis. I don't agree that '32 is old for a footy player'. I maintain it's an individual thing. Scott is an athlete and a competitor. On his current form, I'd sign him to 3 years tomorrow dependent on salary cap considerations only, not his current age.

Love the word salient!!! However if we give Scott a 3yr deal there is no telling how he will hold up given in recent years he has been out with short term injuries often. I'm a fan don't get me wrong but if it was to push promising players out of our cap like Stockwell and Thompson I would be against it. As Ive stated he is signed to the Knights til the end of the 2016 season and as Bennett was signed only til 2015 it would seem unlikely there is an out clause there but who knows. Some idiot said Bennett didnt raid us we just didn't want to retain Scott, Smith and the like but somehow they all ended up at the Knights hmmm. 4yrs ago they were the backbone of our premiership and on current form I would sign Scott but 2yr deal tops if he was available which he is not and $500k a season at the Knights, unlikely to drop after his efforts in SOO. Add Boyd and there is 1.1mil? We have Duges, Marshall, Morris, Gypsy, Thompson so there is 75% our salary cap. Scott will be 34 by then end of a 3 yr deal is he saw it out.

Last edited:

dragonrickjs

Juniors
The only players Bennett needs to bring in are 2 front rowers.
Matulino and Tim Brown would be nice.
I think we have enough back rowers need to keep Thompson, JDB will come on in leaps and bounds under Bennett, Friz will do the J Smith roll nicely.

Dugan
Morris
Beale/runciman
Farrell/runciman
Nightingale
Widdop
Marshall
Merrin
Rein
Matulino
Thompson
Frizell
De Belin

Brown
Stockwell
Creagh
Garvey/Quinlan

The Enforcer

Juniors
Scott may have a couple of years in him whilst Smith is past it and Boyd with his ordinary form this year doesn't earn the right to either claim top money or have contract clauses favour him any more. Sign Scott for 2-3 years and we should be happy.

Minh

First Grade
As several others have mentioned Scott is getting better with age, personally I think he's playing even better this year than when he was playing well with us.