What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights to field NRLW side in 2021

PhilGould

Bench
Knights will have a team in the NRLW starting this year, to be announced in the near future. Originally were aiming for 2022 but are ahead of schedule. Hoping for games to be played at McDonald Jones Stadium alongside the NRL team. Blake Green to be inaugural coach.

Yosh

Coach
To be honest, I didn't know WNRL was at such a high standard. Some of the ticker they showed tonight was awesome and then some.

To be honest, I didn't know WNRL was at such a high standard. Some of the ticker they showed tonight was awesome and then some.
I thought individual skills and commitment was great but a few errors and bad calls not passing etc.
A lot can be excused with the weather and them not playing together much. I'd like to see a 3 game series.

Last edited:

Nuke

Staff member
What happened to Blake Green?
Last I knew he was signed on as inaugural coach. Now I see someone called Casey Bromilow is head coach.

Still Nutty

Juniors
What happened to Blake Green?
Last I knew he was signed on as inaugural coach. Now I see someone called Casey Bromilow is head coach.
Casey was last year's Tarsha Gale Cup coach that had a pretty successful year and had been involved with elite women's rugby league at the Knights for around 5 years(I think he is a good signing) and Green is to continue as part of the NRL Coaching team at the Knights.

Still Nutty

Juniors

A total of nine nib Newcastle Knights NRLW players have been selected into the representative squads for the All Stars game.

Bobbi Law and Caitlan Johnston have been re-called into the Indigenous All Stars camp while fellow Knights players Bree Chester, Kirra Dibb, Kyra Simon and Tahlulah Tillett were selected for the first time in the Indigenous squad.

Meanwhile for the Maori All Stars, Knights players Autumn-Rain Stephens-Daly and Katelyn Vaha'akolo will make their debuts for the representative side alongside experienced leader, Krystal Rota.

Great to see the number of Knights players being exposed to representative footy in our inaugural year and so early into the season.

Hopefully a great development opportunity for the debutants and hopefully we see no injuries come out of the All Stars game.

Still Nutty

Juniors

Knights also promoting grass roots recruitment for NSW Womens premiership team for the 2022 season on their website...good to see the active effort in trying to build interest and momentum on the back of the upcoming NRLW season kick off and upcoming All Stars game👍

PhilGould

Bench
Cheers mate I'll start up a new thread for this season closer to round 1 if there's not one already.

Signed Jesse Southwell today which completes the squad. She was the first ever Knights women's signing as a 14-year old a couple of years ago and just won a gold medal with the Aus women's 7's team. Now apparently she's going to be starting halfback despite having a couple of halves with rep experience in the squad and only being 17, she needed an exemption to even play this season. A very gifted playmaker who could set up tries at will in the Tarsha Gale Cup this season as well as hitting as hard as her older sister Hannah, and kicking goals too.

Highlights from rugby 7's showing some of the flashier stuff - second clip is the standout - but she's great all around.

Cheers mate I'll start up a new thread for this season closer to round 1 if there's not one already.

Signed Jesse Southwell today which completes the squad. She was the first ever Knights women's signing as a 14-year old a couple of years ago and just won a gold medal with the Aus women's 7's team. Now apparently she's going to be starting halfback despite having a couple of halves with rep experience in the squad and only being 17, she needed an exemption to even play this season. A very gifted playmaker who could set up tries at will in the Tarsha Gale Cup this season as well as hitting as hard as her older sister Hannah, and kicking goals too.

Highlights from rugby 7's showing some of the flashier stuff - second clip is the standout - but she's great all around.
Carving it up. That kick and chase is awesome.
Only 7s but...

aqua_duck

Coach

I don't think I've ever seen that kind of footwork in women's rugby league, almost reminiscent of a teenage Benji Marshall. I remember Joey said she'd need an exemption to play and if she gets on the field she'll be one of the best players in NRLW as a 17 year old rookie which is pretty insane.

Still Nutty

Juniors
I don't think I've ever seen that kind of footwork in women's rugby league, almost reminiscent of a teenage Benji Marshall. I remember Joey said she'd need an exemption to play and if she gets on the field she'll be one of the best players in NRLW as a 17 year old rookie which is pretty insane.
Shows why she was picked for the Commonwealth Games Rugby 7's side at just 17...would have liked to have seen her get more minutes at the tournament.

She has Joey level quality written all over her and is going to be a a poster child for promoting NRLW in the years to come...I hope the local corporates get in early to set her up with a secure financial income stream so that she becomes a 1 team player for her career at the Knights.