What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KNIGHTS V. COWBOYS: RD 6 ~ Post Match Discussion

Alex28

Coach
The Cowboys defended much better than we did, and are the fitness benchmark of the comp - they simply didn't tire like we did. They stayed in the game until they could take their chance to run over the top of us and sucked us into playing that game. The boys couldn't respond to them - thats the big thing.

The refereeing was poor, but as Ian said he was only a backup and got thrown into a massive situation. We can't blame the ref - the game was ours to take after 45 minutes. We simply couldn't execute it.

Kidley ain't a 5/8 Roy agreed. He couldn't add anything in creating opportunities. The experiment has to end - Mullen needs time with Johns.

We were close but just not close enough - we need to learn how to play 80 minutes when we need to and to set the standard of play - not get sucked into the oppositions play.

Quinn had a great game I thought. Thaiday was safe at the back but hopefully learnt from the benchmark of the comp how a fullback plays footy - Bowen was outstanding. We kinda lack centres that can create opportunities - Matt Gidley went alright but George ain't a centre.

The forwards were pretty great - they worked their arses off and did brilliantly in the first half with 5 sets being thrown at them. All in all it got too much for them - the injuries, the Cowboys fitness and form...

Lets hope Johns is fit for next week - we'll need him there.

IanG

Coach
Also I know there's still one game left in this round but my tipping this week is shot to sh*t too (1 out of 6)

Johns Magic

Referee
Get Dustin Cooper on the bench for f**k's sake. I was sh*tting myself when Carney got hurt in the first tackle of the match.

Jono078

Referee
Hmm, With Reynoldson and Johns gone, most likely team next week will be?

1. Thaiday
2. Carney
3. Gidley
4. Carmont
5. Quinn
6. Kidley
7. Mullen
8. Smith
9. Buderus
10. Perry
11. Simpson
12. Newton
13. Tanner
--
14. Woolnough
15. Tolar
16. Davico
17. Lowrie

Still not a bad side, hopefully we can get a win against the Storm, dont really want to be in a 4-3 position tbh.

Frederick

Staff member
Jono078 said:
Hmm, With Reynoldson and Johns gone, most likely team next week will be?
Has that been confirmed yet? I didn't bother watching the news, but just read an article on foxsports.com.au, and it said that he was in some doubt, but nothing conclusive. I spose they'll send him off for scans tomorrow.
Also, I would love to see Davico in first-grade.

Jono078

Referee
Captain_Fred said:
Has that been confirmed yet? I didn't bother watching the news, but just read an article on foxsports.com.au, and it said that he was in some doubt, but nothing conclusive. I spose they'll send him off for scans tomorrow.
Also, I would love to see Davico in first-grade.

I was just going off the thread in the NRL section.

So im not sure, but if he's out, looks like that will be our team.

Roy

Juniors
i think he will play, but i will wait untill the team runs onto the field. If he can play half the game with it i think e will be there next week.

Good effort BUT Buderus needs a HUGE KICK IN THE ARSE for rushing out of the line on Thurston for him to score.Let him run at yopu/let him make his play before the line...You Dont rush out of the defensive line.
Newton off loads..ball spills over the line>Bowen chipping on last tackle..we gifted them the points today..made it to hard on ourselves then tried to play catch up..One that slipped away

antonius

Coach
Don't be too disapointed people. The game changed completely when Simpkins was replaced, I'm sure a more experienced ref wouldn't have made some of those calls. A couple of them were downright blatent mistakes, the penalty for passing off the ground was a joke, the players arm (in fact neither arm) didn't touch the ground, fair pass. He didn't play advantage twice when we recovered the ball from Knock-ons, instead calling up play for a scrum. Thaiday was off and running in one of those. I'm not making excuses, just saying I think a more experienced ref would have seen us not soaking up so many raids on our line to the point where pur guys were spent, Thurston scored and that was the turning point, That was after about 4 penalties in a row for them. Reyno going off didn't help in the fitness side of our game at the end either. I was speaking to Mac on the phone afetr and like I said to him, although I'm disapointed, I'm by no means shattered, we played well, the cowboys got us this time, but we'll live to fight another day. I thought Quinn was fantastic for us, best game by him for a long time, Buderus played his arse off, and all the forwards defended brilliantly against a very lopsided penalty count. Have to say that Carney needs to start running forward more, he is too much of a cross field runner for mine, makes a lot of hit-ups, but doesn't go forward enough IMO. Kidley looks lost when he gets the ball on the last, he still panics when it's left to him for the last play, Mullen should be in the side now. Davico will fit in nicely for Reyno,(I doubt he'll play next week) Fingers crossed Johns is OK, he seemed to finish the game OK, no sign of limping, Tommorow will tell, NBN3 said nothing about an injury. Look I reckon we played well, just didn't get the rub of the ball, we are still right in this comp.

Ben

Bench
The Buderus mistake that let Thurston in was simply timing and execution gone all wrong. Surely, the basics of the game are never to rush up off the line because you can be stepped very easily, but Buderus was just playing to his gut instincts.

He realised that when Thurston had the ball, there was a four on three overlap on the outside and his initial reaction was to rush up to the line and shut the play down. He came up to quick and Thurston was just too good for him in the end, using his agility and footwork to get around Buderus.

This may be asking too much, but Buderus's outside man should've rushed up with him to plug the hole. Because if Buderus was stepped, his outside man could've been able to make the tackle. But when one player rushes up, it opens up massive holes in the defensive line.

Frederick

Staff member
antonius said:
Look I reckon we played well, just didn't get the rub of the ball, we are still right in this comp.
Exactly. It's only the end of round 6. We're in second position with 4 wins and 2 losses, and both those losses have been by 4 and 2 points. We still have the best attack in the league, and 4th best defense. Still 20 rounds to go.

Hell Bitch

Juniors
Boon said:
Oh don't worry I am there as well, but it's fairly entertaining watching you junior burgers whinge. hehe.

You are a deadset buttplug. Do you think anyone is dumb enough to think you are a 60-odd post newcomer with no other usernames.

It was a great game of footy, go easy on the "drop so and so" calls boys.

History shows its better to have a couple of losses at this end of the season than be undefeated.

IanG

Coach
antonius said:
Don't be too disapointed people. The game changed completely when Simpkins was replaced, I'm sure a more experienced ref wouldn't have made some of those calls. A couple of them were downright blatent mistakes, the penalty for passing off the ground was a joke, the players arm (in fact neither arm) didn't touch the ground, fair pass. He didn't play advantage twice when we recovered the ball from Knock-ons, instead calling up play for a scrum. Thaiday was off and running in one of those. I'm not making excuses, just saying I think a more experienced ref would have seen us not soaking up so many raids on our line to the point where pur guys were spent, Thurston scored and that was the turning point, That was after about 4 penalties in a row for them. Reyno going off didn't help in the fitness side of our game at the end either. I was speaking to Mac on the phone afetr and like I said to him, although I'm disapointed, I'm by no means shattered, we played well, the cowboys got us this time, but we'll live to fight another day. I thought Quinn was fantastic for us, best game by him for a long time, Buderus played his arse off, and all the forwards defended brilliantly against a very lopsided penalty count. Have to say that Carney needs to start running forward more, he is too much of a cross field runner for mine, makes a lot of hit-ups, but doesn't go forward enough IMO. Kidley looks lost when he gets the ball on the last, he still panics when it's left to him for the last play, Mullen should be in the side now. Davico will fit in nicely for Reyno,(I doubt he'll play next week) Fingers crossed Johns is OK, he seemed to finish the game OK, no sign of limping, Tommorow will tell, NBN3 said nothing about an injury. Look I reckon we played well, just didn't get the rub of the ball, we are still right in this comp.

Very well put there Tony. If we had a First Grade ref and were playing any other team today we'd have won easily. But hey this game has well and truley blown out the cob webs.

princess plj

Juniors
they did play well the boys...altough the last 20 they seemed to fall asleep. the first half was great in terms of defence. hey thats a huge improvement from last season.

- i think joey needs to be wrapped in cotton wool - lets hope there is not much of a problem with his ankle. matty johns seemed to think he would be fine.

Whats Doing

Bench
Fantastic game. No doubt the 2 best sides in the comp. by a long way. Ref was of a standard that he came from and no doubt had a big influence on the game where cowboys scored 6 points from a penalty that should not have been given.

The cowboys seemed slightly fitter and we need to work on this aspect. Thurston was quiet except for the last 10 minutes and I thought Johns was a clear points winner over the entire game.

All in all, whilst disappointed, the players playeed tremendously and if they keep playing with that intensity, whilst injuries will play a huge part for all teams, we should be there come October considering we have Davico, hopefully Cooper and a fully fit Reynoldson.

Latest posts