What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights v Storm Post Match Thread

Doctor

Bench
Jono078 said:
Yeah, the touchie should of gave a warning first or something atleast.. Seemed as though he was having a cry about it and decided to give the penalty against us..

He did. Quinn carried on with it, so the touch judge went to the referee and reported him. And so he should. It's precisely this sort of rubbish that we don't want, and if Melbourne want Quinn and the sideshow that he comes with then good on them. Stupid stuff from a bloke that can no longer play the inexperienced card... once again he stuffs up what would have been a possible win and would have been a good, solid individual performance from him.

Jono078

Referee
Perry was OK besides for the leg pull and he had another penalty against him in our half, when one of the storm players knocked the ball on.

melbourne are really good at slowing the play down arent they. They dont mind the odd elbow to the face in the tackle as well.

knights9

Juniors
didnt watch the game so i cant really comment. Shame to lose i just hope we play good next week.

troll

Juniors
Oswin said:
It's precisely this sort of rubbish that we don't want, and if Melbourne want Quinn and the sideshow that he comes with then good on them.

Unlike one of the boys Hagan, Bellamy won't let Quinn won't get away with that crap next year!

Doctor

Bench
Chicken_Hunter said:
melbourne are really good at slowing the play down arent they. They dont mind the odd elbow to the face in the tackle as well.

Firstly: G'day Chicken-Hunter. There's a name I haven't seen in a while. How is everything?

Secondly: yep, you make a good point about Melbourne's subtle (or not so subtle) use of forearms, fingers and elbows. It's a common problem that the NRL doesn't seem to care too much about. I thought it was called a "grapple tackle", the same problem we were penalised for in this game, but it seems the referees only deem it a penalising offence if it isn't the Storm in defence.

Johns Magic

Referee
Jono078 said:
Perry was OK besides for the leg pull and he had another penalty against him in our half, when one of the storm players knocked the ball on.

Ah yes. I remember blowing up at the ref for that one. The bloke dropped it cold.

Misanthrope

Staff member
How on earth did the referee not decide to go to the video referee for Milton Thaiday's claimed try? There is no way in hell that the ball came off anything other than his legs. Disgraceful calls all game, really. The Knights were the better side in the second half but every 50/50 seemed to go against us.

If it weren't for the fact that I've got a soft spot for the Storm, I'd be well and truly livid at the outcome. Instead I'm just pissed off.

Jono078

Referee
Yeah I also thought Thaiday got the try!

Suprised the commentators didnt pick it up either..

Oswin said:
Firstly: G'day Chicken-Hunter. There's a name I haven't seen in a while. How is everything?

Secondly: yep, you make a good point about Melbourne's subtle (or not so subtle) use of forearms, fingers and elbows. It's a common problem that the NRL doesn't seem to care too much about. I thought it was called a "grapple tackle", the same problem we were penalised for in this game, but it seems the referees only deem it a penalising offence if it isn't the Storm in defence.

Yeah good. Back home in qld at the moment with a broken hand.

And i am glad i wasn't the only one that could see all those elbows. I couldn't tell on tv but it appeared the players didnt really complain about this. It may not have felt that bad on the field.

Kazaf

Juniors
I'm pissed as hell, but the boys played well.

I really liked seeing Cameron Smith and Bederus having a go at each other.
Smith was going to throw a punch.

K-Man

Bench
I can't believe we lost. In some aspects it's the best we have played in ages - the offloading, second phase play, creativity in attack, committment in defence were all fantastic.

However, in other aspects like the total lack of discipline and poor options at decisive moments, we were shocking and probably deserved to lose.

What the hell was Quinn thinking? He may well have cost us a spot in the top 8 with his stupidity. Then there was Johns kicking on the 4th tackle to hand over field position straight after half time, Carney running straight over the sideline, Perry's typical foot grab penalty etc etc.

It's a real shame we couldn't get the 2 points considering how fluent in attack we looked for most of the match against the team on top of the table.

The best thing to come out of the game was the fact Mullen OUTPLAYED Johns! He was absolutely superb with both passing and running game.
On that performance, it will be an absolute disgrace if Kidley takes the number 6 back from Mullen this year. What a difference having 2 genuine playmaking options can make.

Doctor

Bench
Kazaf said:
I really liked seeing Cameron Smith and Bederus having a go at each other.Smith was going to throw a punch.

Ironic, isn't it, that all the talk going into the game was about Buderus and Smith and how much they respected one another. Seemed a bit nasty at times, but I guess they were just both fired up.

cram

Bench
I only have one phrase to describe what I saw today.

A lack of discinpline and a lack of intensity saw us suffer another defeat on our home ground. A once proud tradition of winning at home as slowly been eroded by 'super coach'.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
A much improved effort from the boys. I'm not too disappointed about losing, but it did seem that everything went against us today. The half a metre (no joke) forward pass in the leadup to the Storm's first try was totally unforgiveable. I still can't find a knock on for the "Thaiday no try", should have gone upstairs for a look at least. Josh Perry has gone back to his usual stupid self, dropping crucial balls and giving away crucial penalties.

All in all, a much improved effort from the boys and with a little more luck we would have won. It was Mullen's best performance in FG since he's been playing. It was good to see someone having the balls to overcall Joey for the ball.

On the Anthony Quinn penalty, firstly an absolute brain explosion from Quinny and yes maybe the touchy was being soft, but you don't give an official a reason to penalise you. Least of all when you have the ball. Quinny deserves to have his backside kicked for a week, as does whoever it was that threw the pass on the bounce to Joey with about 90 seconds left.

Kazaf

Juniors
Oswin said:
Ironic, isn't it, that all the talk going into the game was about Buderus and Smith and how much they respected one another. Seemed a bit nasty at times, but I guess they were just both fired up.
Smith is just jelous :lol:
Afterall Bederus is the best Hooker in league
taking all the spotlight

Voice of Reason

Juniors
Usual suspects- Tanner and Carmont missing tackles, Perry losing the ball on attack on the first tackle and giving away a potplant leg pulling penalty to release pressure for Storm, newton thinking he is a mature ball-player instead turning the ball over, Quinn giving away a penalty in possession for ill-discipline, panic in attack when under pressure and Reynoldson and Taner having as much impact with the ball as an interior decorator. Like Hagans genious team selections my response could be a cut-and-paste week after week.

Rod

Bench
Geez, I thought we might be able to come away with the win there, even with 5 minutes left I thought we would make it. I won't go on about the ref but the one point I will make is the disgraceful decision not to go upstairs for the Thaiday try. The same thing happened in the Panthers/Sharks game in about Round 8 I believe, the bloke dropped the ball onto his foot, which was classed as a grubber and he scored. It did seem like a lot of the 50/50's did go against us today.

For us I thought Mullen and Buderus were the standouts. Johns was ok, he was very good in defence but he got shut down on the 5th tackle by the rushing Storm defence quite a bit. Quinn was good bar the dissent penalty, ditto Carney for the running over the sideline. Thaiday was mostly quiet today although he had a few good touches, he'll keep improving.

I think we'll still make the eight and maybe the top six, positions 5-8 are very close on the table. We are starting to get our attack back on track and it looked very fluent today, also in parts I thought our defence was outstanding. Obviously next week is a must win and one we can definitely not take lightly.