What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights v Tigers:Post Match Thread

knights9

Juniors
Im happy we won, Carneys try was great although he needs alot of work on his defence it was horrible.

gumbi

Juniors
Agree JM, Carney's defence is getting worse. I have can't believe that he runs with his back to players 5 metres out from the line.

At tranining this week i think we need to teach him how to run backwards whilsty watching his man in defence - he is incapale of it at the moment.

Though his attack was excellent today.....and he did score the matchwinner, so i'd still buy him a beer if i saw him out tonight....

The whole side did a little to much ball watching today, led to all their tries.

Whats Doing

Bench
The boys guts it out to a good win. They appeared to be holding on for the win in the second half instead of playing their normal game. Another try was always needed to win the game and they only came to life when they went behind.

I hope they learnt a lesson for the next time they play the Tigers in that they gave Benji too much room to weave his great attacking skills. He needs to be shut down early and given little space and time to move. That last try by the Tigers could have been stopped had Gidley who was a metre away when Benji got the ball moved straight in instead of backing away.

Anyway we have heaps of improvement left in us with Perry, Tolar, Reyoldson, Abraham, Thaiday and Newton to come back. Nice position to be in.:D

Big Tim

First Grade
Once again this coming off your wing thing. I dont want to have another argument about it........BUT

Quinn did the same thing. He came off his wing and the flick pass went to the winger and then they scored. He did it again in the 33rd minute, but this time he took the intercept. It is all about feel and trying to second guess the playmaker. It works as much as it doesnt.

On the Carney point I got angry at him turning and running towards our corner post in defense, but he was staying on the opposition winger.

strewth_mate

Bench
A few little things I was incredibly happy to see:

- Smith behind the play taking a chip over the top that could have gone particularly pear-shaped
- Joey's desperate tackles around the ankles of Tigers players almost in the clear, time and again
- Simpson brilliantly taking the kickoff in a very awkward catch following our final try

Any of these not happening would have given us quite a different story I reckon.

chinorocks

Juniors
To may close games in a row I think I'm going to have a heart attack if it keeps going like this.

Forwards we're really good today, made good metres and our defence was great consiering the opposition.

Backs took some poor options and our kicking game was poor.

Carney is the worst positional defender I have ever seen.

All in all its another win, and I don't think we got any serious injurys. Interested to see who plays hooker next week and how we go about replacing Bedsy and Simmo against the Raiders who will have no one in Origin.

Two points..lets get the hell out of here...bring on next week.
But isnt Hodgson and Marshall sooooo good.tho I always thought that a player running sideways was an easy target but marshall just isnt

Johns Magic

Referee
Big Tim2 said:
Once again this coming off your wing thing. I dont want to have another argument about it........BUT

Quinn did the same thing. He came off his wing and the flick pass went to the winger and then they scored. He did it again in the 33rd minute, but this time he took the intercept. It is all about feel and trying to second guess the playmaker. It works as much as it doesnt.

Yep, when Quinn came in off his wing the Tigers scored. Thanks for that.

Also, Quinn came in that time because he knew he could intercept it, and he did. Carney just comis in for the sake of it.

On the Carney point I got angry at him turning and running towards our corner post in defense, but he was staying on the opposition winger.

Exactly. He let the winger get outside him so he had to run backwards to try to cover him, and they scored as a result. If he'd stayed on his wing it would never have happened.

strewth_mate

Bench
Normally Marshall running sideways like that shouldn't be that much of a problem, but against a tiring defence like ours he just created holes because we weren't really sliding too effectively. Kidley does it all the time; the difference here was Marshall knew when to make his move.

I was actually a bit disappointed with our go-forward, the Tigers seemed to come up in numbers and force us back in way too many tackles.

I'd think Brown would be hooker next week, he has played there a bit when he's come on the last few days. No idea who it will be, but just a suggestion.

northey

First Grade
just got home from the game...
gee these close games are getting hard to watch!!

had fun seeing the first grade team at the bottle shop... haha very funny

Bicey_18

Bench
observer said:
Best Team Lost!

Newcastle lead for most of the game with the exception of what 4 mins if that? We were the better side and therefore we got the points...

And you call urself Observer... Cos quite frankly ur observing skills kinda suck :)

ricki_knights

Juniors
i wish bloody gus gould would shutup.. newcastle looks dead here. shutup GUS! and that ref... down right dumb %$%#! looked tired thru out the game.. played alrite in defence... weird game, but yeah we won.. anybody know when abraham is comin back..

jamesgould

Juniors
Big Tim2 said:

Quinn is coming in to cover the centre - probably the most regular mistake wingers make. Who knows what Carney is doing! He's not being sucked into a tackle. He's just running up into the opposition backline!

Gene Krupa

Referee
ricki_knights said:
i wish bloody gus gould would shutup.. newcastle looks dead here. shutup GUS! and that ref... down right dumb %$%#! looked tired thru out the game.. played alrite in defence... weird game, but yeah we won.. anybody know when abraham is comin back..

Hello there. Welcome to the forums!

mrford61

Juniors
Kurt Gidley may not set the world on fire in attack but if he wasnt there defending today, we lose......end of story.

Big Tim

First Grade
jamesgould said:
Quinn is coming in to cover the centre - probably the most regular mistake wingers make. Who knows what Carney is doing! He's not being sucked into a tackle. He's just running up into the opposition backline!

I understand that. I was just making a point that all wingers come off their wing, and it is instinct. Problem is you cant always guess what another human is going to do.

What I am saying is, all wingers come off their wing and sometimes they get burned. Dont get me wrong I was yelling at Quinn (through the TV mind you) when "he" let the try in, just like I was cheering him when he got the intercept.

You do some things on your own line that make you look like a hero or a moron. He did both today. Blaming the winger in ALL cases is what I have an issue with. But rushing up when there is 60m of green behind you is not on.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Great effort by the boys. Good fun down at the ground, but I wish the bloody Tigers ground announcer would shut the f**k up, especially in the final 10 minutes. The Tigers fans had to be spoonfed to cheer their team home.

Our defence was pretty good in the most part, but our right hand side defence was looking shaky all game. It was one of Kidley's better games IMHO. Joey's kicking game was off, but his defence was top-notch. Simmo just keeps on going from strength to strength and should be the first picked in the NSW team tomorrow.

Big Tim

First Grade
Jobdog said:
Simmo just keeps on going from strength to strength and should be the first picked in the NSW team tomorrow.

But he wont be first. Hard running, big hitting, never tiring back rowers never get the respect deserved. He is the one of the 3 men that can turn this team with his mere presence.

chinorocks

Juniors
Big Tim2 said:
But he wont be first. Hard running, big hitting, never tiring back rowers never get the respect deserved. He is the one of the 3 men that can turn this team with his mere presence.

If its possible to call an international/origin backrower under rated, then Simmo is under rated, by everyone but Newcastle fans. Never gets the wraps he deserves, where guys like Fitzy, Hindmarsh and O'Donnell do.