What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights V's Cowboys Post Match Talk.

Whats Doing

Bench
Disgraceful performance by the knights. Carmont couldn't catch a cold let alone the ball and the less said about Witt.

Our biggest problem is that our reserve grade forwards really are all from the same mould and lack any creative skills or the ability to break the line.

The ref was a disgrace. There was at least 10 flops by the Cowboys which did not get penalised.

*melliez*

Juniors
Matt23 said:
Yeah the home town hero ref did'nt help, piss poor effort by all concerned, I wont be voting for the best knights player this week, cos there was'nt one. #-o

Ennis was by far the stand out player for the knights.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Yeah, the Cowboys aren't nearly as bad as their finishes in years gone by indicate. I've always been a fan of the side, and they've had the side to beat anyone for years now. It's just a matter of them believing it.

Alex28

Coach
ok...i was pretty pissed at half time with the referee...i thought he was particluarly harsh early in the second half and effectively got the guys second thinking their defence. i just struggle to believe the cowboys were so disciplined that they only got 2 penalties tonight.

however we lost tonight because we had no heart, and no one able to create anything in attack. you are all right - witt has to go. he is a fair first division player, but he is way out of his depth in the top grade. he cant create anything in attack - full stop. he has been a decent defender over the last few weeks but he couldnt even do that this week. heck he couldnt even hold on to the ball close to the try line! I'm even thinking if Souths want to get rid of Craigie coming back to the Knights isn't that bad an option compared to Witt.

Ennis continues to impress. He was our number one playmaker tonight - he outplayed Kidley tonight. Kidley did have a bit of pressure on him, but if he is now the $250K man he needs to play like it.

There was no go forward tonight. Perry and Wooly had ordinary games really - particularly Perry. The backs just got swamped by the Cowboys defence - i think the refereeing tonight assisted in that. Credit to the Cowboys though - played very well.

Whats everyone's thoughts on the Rauhihi try? Wasn't aware you could steal the ball off a player on the ground. That try really sunk the boys tonight. 2 converted tries always seemed too far away from then on...

Sweeper

Juniors
I think Homer summed it up best when he said...
"whoa... that team sure did suck tonight... i mean i've seen teams suck before... but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever did suck"

Into 6 left long opens over a crest, 30, 6 right into 3 left plus long don't cut tightens to 1, into a short 1 right plus and short 2 left minus tightens at junction 20

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
There aren't alot of positives, but henderson and brown both showed they have the talent. I was very impressed with them tonight. The main reason we lost is the style of play we used. How many offloads did we do tonight. I wouldn't say many. How many backline movments did we do, hardly any. It was simply one out runs with no support. No wonder we only scored 1 try. The coach should be ashamed of himself for getting the team to play like that.

Kurt Gidleys kicking game was good tonight. Those short kicks were great.

Ennis was really impressive. Quinn was impressive. I don't think I've ever seen a winger so highly involved in a game.

Doctor

Bench
It's fair to say the referee had a shocker. I'm not sure what the problem was tonight, but if there is ever an example of inconsistency, the referee manifested it. Within a minute of one penalty against the Knights for ruck infringements, the referee allowed a number of similar flops and "holding down" incidents to go unpenalised.

The Knights were poorly disciplined, but not to the extent that the referee blew his whistle. I was very disappointed with the eventual outcome of the referee's performance and would be worried about the effectiveness of the critical analysis process, including peer analysis on Monday, if the referee was given a first grade appointment next week. If Bill Harrigan can be axed for four sin-binnings, most of which legitimate, then Steve Lyons will be given a rest.

From discussions with Mick Stone, my understanding of the process of critical post-match analysis is that every decision will be examined and scrutinised. I would suggest it will take them all of Monday and into the early hours of Tuesday to break the referee's performance down into bite-sized pieces of constructive criticism. His very manner was authoritarian and condescending, especially towards the captain Robbie O'Davis. I'm fairly sure the referee's support body will also look at the patronising pat on the back the referee gave to O'Davis late in the game -- it was neither appropriate nor acceptable for such a gesture to be made.

Yet, for all the woes of the referee, it is the Knights' own performance tonight that cost them. Missed tackles are usually the problem, but tonight you can throw a swag of reasons in. Namely:

- Dropped ball
- Penalties (some more reasonable than others)
- Poor metres from Perry and Woolnough
- A lack of discipline and willingness to work hard.

The only players who survived the game with their credibility in tact were Robbie O'Davis and Michael Ennis.

Full marks to O'Davis on his handling of the referee -- I thought he exhibited superfluous levels of respect for the referee. The players should respect the referee at all times, but O'Davis' handling of even the most questionable decisions was commendable.

~bedsy~

First Grade
We have 10 players out including Joey and Seage.
I didn't get to watch the game... and I don't like listening to games on the radio.
But I was happy when I saw we were 6-0 at the begining.... then I got the score at half time an thought.... well it's not too bad... however when it was 24-6 with 20 to go I knew we were gonneee.
I'm very dissapointed that we have lost 3 in a row. We need to get our acts together.... hopefully before next week. :cry:

Kaz

junior
Matt23 said:
Yeah the home town hero ref did'nt help, piss poor effort by all concerned, I wont be voting for the best knights player this week, cos there was'nt one. #-o

I will vote for O'Davis.

I laughed each time he argued with the ref. :clap:

Like that was going to change the refs rulings. :badgrin:

mat_parsons

Juniors
I didn't watch the game and I am happy I didn't.

Something is wrong with our team and no one is able to find what. They are simply not the team we used to know. Maybe we should sack someone (see how it worked with Souths and Warriors). The coach is occupied with QLD side more than with Newcastle as well as senior players while BK is on sick leave as always. Maybe someone should give up on Origin in favour to their club. Something should be done and please no more calm statements from Hagan: "Everything is OK, we'll be fine" DO SOMETHING FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!

Alex28

Coach
i'm actually proud of the way Robbie spoke to the referee...mind you asking for the game to be slowed down due to the heat is probably not going to work 10 out of 10 times. he gave the referee some respect when our other captains certainly wouldnt have in the same situation. he did ok...

~bedsy~

First Grade
mat_parsons said:
Maybe someone should give up on Origin in favour to their club. Something should be done and please no more calm statements from Hagan: "Everything is OK, we'll be fine" DO SOMETHING FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!
You can't blame this on Hages.

CycloneSteve

Juniors
Yeah Ennis played well, I turned it off after we dropped that ball from the 20m restart. To many silly penalties (yes some of them were a joke) and to much drop ball at the wrong end of the field. You could swear tho that they were playing Touch out there half the time. Even when the Cowboys were tackled the ref would call them to play it after 2 seconds.

Im not going to tip them next week. We have ZERO chance of beating the Roosters the way we are playing, even with our top calibre players back. This has been the most horrific season I have ever witnessed from the Knights, even tho it has contained 2 of our greatest ever wins. I have watched pretty much every Knights game since Day 1 and even though we didnt go all that well in the first few seasons, we played with a lot of pride and passion. I was there when we played our first home game against Brisbane.....when we won that game against Balmain in 1990 to get ourselves into a 5th place play-off......when we snotted Canterbury 40-6 in 1995 (where that famous piece of audio comes from in the Go Hard, Go Knights song)......I went completely nuts in 1997 when we got over Manly in the Grand Final.......I was there, on the darkest day of all, when we were flogged by the Sharks, sitting alongside my best mate, a Sharks fan......and I danced with joy at Telstra Stadium in 2001 as MY side raced to a 24-0 lead against Parramatta, and to go on and win the title.....I have been there through the highs....and the lows....i expected so much from this season.....Joey being the fittest he has been.....exciting new recruits like Seage, Carmont, Witt.....and arguably the best pack in the competition. But it has all gone to hell. It started bad, built up slowly to the point where I believed we might just have a shot at this years title, after we beat 2 major contenders. But now.....3 losses on the trot will send us a$$ out of the top eight, with potentially another one coming next weekend. It cuts deep guys.....and it hurts....hurts like hell. I nearly have tears in my eyes as I type this. I hope that someone in the Knights camp gets hold of this post and reads it to the boys at training during the week. I liken it to a relationship.....just when u think ur comfortable and its all going well, you get stabbed in the back, by someone you thought u loved. Now dont get me wrong, I can take a loss as much as the next person, when we play well.....but guys, seriously, you CANNOT call that playing well. You CANNOT call that joke of a game last week, against a side that has NOTHING going for it, playing well. All we ask is that you put in 100%, stop the crap, and dont make excuses when u lose. I will still cheer the boys for the rest of the year....but I know deep down that we are far to inconsistent to be ANY threat at this years title.

I'm sorry this post has gone on far longer than I expected, but once I start typing, my emotions get the better of me. I had better finish on some sort of positive note before I drag the rest of you down with me.

Sweeper said:
I think Homer summed it up best when he said...
"whoa... that team sure did suck tonight... i mean i've seen teams suck before... but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever did suck"
I gotta go, my damn weiner kids are listening :)

Alex28

Coach
love the post steve - if only the players showed such passion for their team tonight.

just gotta amend the first line of that signature... ;)

~bedsy~

First Grade
Didn't we lose a fair few games in 2001?
I wouldn't give up straight away.... yes the way they are playing it has been shocking.... 3 loss' in a row, hopefully they will be so ashamed of themselves they will come out next Friday with guns blazing.
I could never tip against Newcastle, even at the rate they are going. I will be there next Friday night cheering on my team, and I hope that if we lose (touch wood we don't).... our fans don't get like the Parra ones and boo them off the feild.

Latest posts