What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights V's Roosters Post match Talk

Misanthrope

Staff member
Good on ya BPP, nothing takes the sting off a loss like some genuine consolation from a rival fan. Just like nothing inflames it like someone coming in and gloating.

Congrats to your boys on a good win.

aqua_duck

Coach
I don't want to sound like I know everything but I think our loss tonight was inevitable, the writing has been on the wall for sometime, look our juniors just aren't up to scratch anymore. We have guys like Tanner, Matt Kennedy, etc whilst other clubs have their Brett Stewarts, Karmichael Hunt's etc. Look I've been worried for a couple of years now that we were hardly getting any players in junior rep side i.e nsw u'19's, junior roos, etc. Secondly, there is obviously a problem with our conditioning program, year after year we seem to be the most injury prone club in the league, I think we really have to cut our losses with some high profile players who never make it on the park, Kennedy had to go, Hughes has to go, with him its 2 games in and 4 games out, simply unacceptable. I think we have to have a serious look at STeve Simpson as well, I don't want to jump to conclusions as he is one of my favourite players but if he gets hurt big time next year as well we might have to reconsider him. All this might sound abit extreme but at the end of the day the club can't just sit back and feel sorry for itself, we also can't afford to keep losing the cream of our junior before they even make 1st grade as there are so few special ones coming through.

Nuke

Staff member
Someone (sorry, I've forgotten who it was) mentioned that we should bring back Billy Peden. What a great idea! If he's up to it - and physically, he should be if he's the Knights fitness man - the Knights should definately try and coax him out of retirement.

It's not uncommon in the NRL anymore. Teams are bringing old players back into the NRL, and they aren't hit with injuries as nearly as badly as the Knights are. In recent years, the Broncos have brought back Allan Langer, Tonie Carroll, Ben Ikin, Darren Smith, and Adrian Vowles (although he hasn't played 1st-Grade at this stage yet); Cronulla have brought back Matty Johns; the Warriors have brought in Paul Dezolt (I think it was), ect. We wouldn't exactly be trend-setters in this, so I say BRING BACK BILLY PEDEN.

Whats Doing

Bench
There a few problems with the knights that need fixing to enable the club to be long term contenders for the title.

Firstly, they rely too much on their own juniors to make the grade. They need to have a very good scouting system which can identify brilliant juniors around the country and put them into the Knights system. While I hate them with a passion, the Broncos scouting system is brilliant with the likes of Hunt, Learoyd (18 year old from Tamworth), Thaiday(18 year old from Nth QLD) Parfitt etc and believe me their are a host of others that are class acts in the making. Remember, the baby broncos in that win over Wests, I cannot see the knights second string side matching this. The Rorters scouting program is also excellent especially up in QLD

Secondly, There is too much money spent on too few players. We need to get our selves in a position where we can buy 1 quality player per year. These means turning over players that are lower down the playing roster and bringing in a fresh face each year. This keeps the players lower down on the playing roster on their toes to ensure they keep their position whilst bringing in new enthusiasm each year. The problem with the knights over the last few years is that they have had the same players which breeds familiarity and loss of enthusiasm. I know the knights tried to bring in new players this year but all were either unknown or Premier League players with the only one that really had shaped up was Seage. What was needed was a quality 1st grade player.

The knights really need to think of their long term success strategy so that when injuries do occur like now, they are in a position to be competitive in every game. It is a nonsense that excuses like we had too many players out is an acceptable argument. It is not at other successful clubs which are competitive every week irrespective who of they have got playing for them.

The knights need to act now!!!

Gooba

Juniors
We tryed our highest im proud of the boys... ive been involved in teams that have had over 10 injurys... we didnt win many of our games because we werent use to playing together or playing at that standard... we will be back no worries... we are 12th or something but also tie 8th. lets stay with our troops!! next week we have the eagles and even if we loose to them lets not loose our pride lets support our knights in shining armour

ozzie

Bench
I feel the same as Big Poppa Pump - when the whips are cracking - your guys will be there - You have some quality players but injuries will always hurt..

Good luck for the rest of the season - see you in the semi's..

God we got smashed last week and it happens to all teams - put it behind you and look to the future - the semi's

Oswin said:
Chicken_Hunter said:
I dont cry very often.. But if the knights continue the way they have then i probably will...
The knights mean everything to me.. and to see them.. to see them perform the way they are is just heartbreaking, words cant express the way im feeling

Is it really that bad? Crying over the loss?

LoL i didnt cry... Felt like it though.. :lol:

les norton

First Grade
Thanks to ozzie and BPP...I wont believe anything bad i read about roosters supports again, well if i do i'll think of you two... :clap: you guys are all class. Thanks.

eddo

Juniors
Oswin said:
Chicken_Hunter said:
I dont cry very often.. But if the knights continue the way they have then i probably will...
The knights mean everything to me.. and to see them.. to see them perform the way they are is just heartbreaking, words cant express the way im feeling

Is it really that bad? Crying over the loss?

I'm disappointed after matches where we're actually in the contest. The Parramatta game was frustrating -- so too the Cowboys last week because we could have beaten them, even with the side we had.

But this week, I didn't expect anything from the side other than their effort. The likes of Henderson, Ennis, Buderus, O'Davis, Tilse, Kennedy, Newton etc were gutsy, even when they were sucking in the big ones.

I was disappointed with the effort of some -- namely Josh Perry. But I don't think it is an issue the whole team is facing. Most of the players out there tonight were just trying their best in a grade they're unfamiliar with. I didn't expect them to win the game, but I did expect them to just do their best.

Many players just did their best -- my tears are not because of any sadness or bitterness. If I had a tear or two, it was because of the pride displayed by a number of players. It was very pleasing to see them just get in and have a go -- what more can we ask of them?

As I said: let's concentrate on trying to get our players fit, instead of looking elsewhere.

Yeah Oz, I can't understand the wrist slashing going in this thread.
We can all hope for a win against the top sides, even hope & pray, but with the knights injury toll we can't expect it.

I have been really upset by the previous last 3 games but I'll go on record as:
Last night was the best performance by a loosing knights side ever.

Sure there was a few areas of concern that you & others have mentioned. ie: Perry Peaheart; Lazy passing setting up intercepts; Tahu not having a clue in centre defence, but i was very proud of the effort put in by Ennis, Tilse etc.
Look out Manly

snapper

Juniors
I'm with Gooba. I know the boy's got a touch up, but that's footy. As one of the Roosters fans said, they got flogged by the Dogs a couple of weeks ago. The biggest problem for the Knights tonight was that they knew they had to start well, and that puts a lot of pressure on everyone. Thats the reason I think the Knights made so many mistakes.

The Roosters move the ball around extremely well, and the only way to combat that is to be excellent in defence and hold them out which in turn frustrates their attack. We didn't do that early, but in other parts of the game we did.

I think our boys will be a better side for that hitout, and may well have learnt some valuable lessons.

What is dissapointing however is the fact that Buderus was yet again our most eager defender, and when he went off, our defence tended to not get up out of the line. Full credit to the class of Bedsy who turns up to play for every game and gives his all.

Finally, one point for all the so called fans who get on here and seem to give up on our side after every loss. Get over it, we're all sick to death of it. I agree that if you believe the sides no good say so, but don't write them off. And also try watching the whole game and take some positives out of it.

The lows are what make the highs even better, so keep the faith and I think you'll see a better side run around next week against the Eagles. I'll see you's there. :)

While we are all disapponted with the result the point is that they were never going to be up to scratch.
Few points-Anyone who pulls on a boot will always do their best for their team.They needed to score first or at least hold them-{12-0} and they were shot ducks.
Carmont had a bad one but everyone has a bad one.
Perry is bludging-maybe he does need Johns to make him look good???
ALEX hit the nail on the head with 10!!!! out and them all to come back bar Johns

We were never going to win -We were just hoping for a good showing but that didnt happen either.
We need to enter the market-Players WILL want to play with Johns.
WITT is now-NOT a 5/8-Surely Ennis is a better option.

Move along to next week everyone and it has to start next week!

Tyne'e

I'm just glad I knew the score before the replay at 11.30.
I think it is about time some blame was pushed towards the Knights aministration. Because of the salary cap Morris is one of Parra's best, Moodie could of fitted into last nights team with ease, and the list could be extended, why is it we keep loosing promising players , and signing players who can't get a game where they came from.
AND we must ask how can these other clubs get them and stay under the cap, maybe they have better recruiters and promis better conditions.
Finally who is the Knights trainer, we seam to of had more hammy injuries than other teams, could it be in conditioning.

Doctor

Bench
Tyne'e said:
I think it is about time some blame was pushed towards the Knights aministration. Because of the salary cap Morris is one of Parra's best, Moodie could of fitted into last nights team with ease, and the list could be extended, why is it we keep loosing promising players

You're kidding, aren't you? Surely this is the product of disappointment at the result, and not logical thinking. I should have guessed it -- everyone else has been blamed for the losses, why not shift some onto the Admin too? :roll:

The salary cap prevented players like Morris and Moodie from staying at the club. Are they really going to want to stay at a club, just to play Premier League? That is, afterall, what they would be doing if the Knights didn't have so many injuries.

You can't blame the performances on the loss of these players who went elsewhere -- the Admin, nor the players themselves, would have thought that they would be pulling up junior players before their time just to cover the gaps.

I think we have to have a serious look at STeve Simpson as well, I don't want to jump to conclusions as he is one of my favourite players but if he gets hurt big time next year as well we might have to reconsider him.

Steve Simpson, prior to the past 12 months, has been one of the few players to play every week. If anything, we need players like Simpson at the club more than a player like Kennedy. Simpson's value is his ability to play every week. Unfortunately his injuries this year have prevented him -- but every player gets injured.

It wasn't so long ago that Mark Hughes was considered valuable because he played every week. His last couple of years, injury-wise, have changed this label. It just goes to show that even the most reliable players are bound to be injured eventually.

princessjen

Juniors
Who were the two players they mentioned last night as being the only two who had played every game? One was Kurt Gidley, does anyone know the other?

Tyne'e

You're kidding, aren't you? Surely this is the product of disappointment at the result, and not logical thinking. I should have guessed it -- everyone else has been blamed for the losses, why not shift some onto the Admin too? :roll:

Of course it was a product of disapointment, but dont selectively respond, I said "SOME" and I also asked about the training of the team.
Who says those players would be in premier league, if they are good enough they play first grade. When Morris went to Parra the reason was the salary cap, not that Newcastle had better players, and if memory serves correct it was the same with Moodie.

When a team plays well every one talks about how well the club recruited, Parra was going bad and they looked at the admin, why shouldn't Knights supporters be allowed to ask the same questions.

Doctor

Bench
Tyne'e said:
I wish I knew how to work that quote thing right

Click on "Quote" if you read a post you want to reply to -- it is on the top right hand section of each post.

If you want to cut the post down into manageable bits (like I did -- clearly you weren't happy with my selective quoting ;-) ) then simply delete the bits. Just make sure you don't delete the tags at the front and end of the quote.

The tags look like this: [quote.] (at the start of the quote, but without the dot in there) AND [/quote.] (once again without the dot)

If you're already on the reply page and want to quote something you've copied/pasted in, then simply highlight it with your mouse, and click on "Quote" from the above options on the reply screen.

If you don't wish to highlight, you can just type in the quote tags by putting them at the front and back of the words you want to quote:
at the beginning, and [/quote.] (without the dot), at the end.

Latest posts