What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights V's Roosters Post match Talk

antonius

Coach
Message for ExKnights fan. It would be appreciated if you refrain from using the language that I edited from your post, Les Norton is a respected moderator on this forum and calling her derogotory names wont be tollerated.

antonius

Coach
Thanks for the sentiments BPP, and the other Rooster fans. Your right we will come back from this. As Bedsy said after the game we had a lot of boys out there trying to do mens jobs. Not much more to be said really, this would have to be the most disheartening season in memory.

antonius

Coach
Tyne'e said:
When Morris went to Parra the reason was the salary cap, not that Newcastle had better players, and if memory serves correct it was the same with Moodie.
Seriously Morris was not, and still isn't anything out of the box as far as Footy players go, when he was at Newcastle his defence was very suspect and it still is, he wanted to play Hooker well he isn't going to displace Buderus is he? Parra really went after him Brian Smith had to have him, they paid more money that he was worth to get him, the Knights did the right thing not bidding more to keep him, he simply wasn't worth it.

aqua_duck

Coach
Whats Doing said:
While I hate them with a passion, the Broncos scouting system is brilliant with the likes of Hunt, Learoyd (18 year old from Tamworth)
Thats what I mean mate, we seriously expect too much from our local talent, especially as we have a habit of losing our better juniors as well, the broncos scouted Learoyd when he was 13, and they've stuck with him since, and look at the kid now, 115kg and quick enough to play centres, we simply don't have anyone with that kind of potential in our junior ranks a present. Time after time players who we have a huge rap on seem to fail in 1st grade. Michael Young for example was being touted as the heir to robbie o and he turned out to be abit of a dud. Michael Ennis was being labelled a future superstar but he'd above avcerage but nowhere near the potential of youngerts from other teams.

chinorocks

Juniors
princessjen said:
Who were the two players they mentioned last night as being the only two who had played every game? One was Kurt Gidley, does anyone know the other?

if it wasn't for origin games Danny Buderus would have played every game this year also I don't think Carmont and Witt have missed any games since they came into the team.

Also, for all those paying out Carmonts defence. I've said it before he is NOT a winger. Everytime they put him on the wing he gets found out in defence. But because Tahu wants to play in the centres, Carmont gets moved to the wing and the whole team suffers.

astrogirl

First Grade
princessjen said:
Who were the two players they mentioned last night as being the only two who had played every game? One was Kurt Gidley, does anyone know the other?
I believe it's Matt Kennedy.

astrogirl

First Grade
Oswin said:
Chicken_Hunter said:
I dont cry very often.. But if the knights continue the way they have then i probably will...
The knights mean everything to me.. and to see them.. to see them perform the way they are is just heartbreaking, words cant express the way im feeling
Is it really that bad? Crying over the loss?
Many players just did their best -- my tears are not because of any sadness or bitterness. If I had a tear or two, it was because of the pride displayed by a number of players. It was very pleasing to see them just get in and have a go -- what more can we ask of them?

I had a tear in my eye during the game too - I really felt for the players. I can't agree with this talk about our boys not having pride in the jersey. In my opinion I don't think there was a Knights player who did not try.

After the game Danny said something along the lines of "I hate to say it but it was men against boys". So very true. About half to 2/3 of our salary cap is on the sideline at the moment.

Nonetheless I thought there were some positives out of the game:

~ Several more players got a taste of 1st grade, against one of the classy sides no less. I believe Henderson and Tilse were on debut? (Any others?) This experience will help us in 2005.

~ I thought Clint Newton was gutsy and tried to lead by example. I won't forget his valiant attempt to chase down Cross after Cross took an intercept. In the end Quinn got there first but Newton was impressively close behind.

~ Brown and Henderson ran strongly with the ball, even when we were certain to lose.

I was disappointed with Perry - I would have liked to see him step up a little more. We really needed him without any other other recognised front rowers in the side.

I also thought Tahu went missing.

*** EDIT: having just looked at the "Knight of the week" topic, looks like there are ppl who disagree with me about Tahu... did I miss something? I know he scored our only try but I don't remember seeing him look particularly threatening :? ***

On the whole I'm not disappointed with the team because really, in the end the Roosters simply totally outclassed us.

Doctor

Bench
aqua_duck said:
Time after time players who we have a huge rap on seem to fail in 1st grade. Michael Young for example was being touted as the heir to robbie o and he turned out to be abit of a dud.

That's not very fair of you Aqua_Duck. :roll:

Michael Young had one first grade game -- against the Dragons when, once again, we were smashed by a far better side. Just like Friday night, we had Premier Leaguers trying to put in a first-grade standard performance. Young made, in my opinion, one notable mistake in that game: when he fail to put the ball into touch and Blacklock jumped over him to score. Besides that, his game was solid -- clearly his confidence is shattered by the performance, and it has shown in the lower-grades of late.

What players like him need is to enter first grade when the experienced players are there -- otherwise it ends up being just a harder Premier League game, simply because all the players around the youngsters are from Premier League too.

Michael Ennis was being labelled a future superstar but he'd above avcerage but nowhere near the potential of youngerts from other teams.

Danny Buderus was nothing special when he started in Newcastle -- he was behind an injury-proned Steve Walters. Even Andrew Johns was cranky at him a lot of the time because he struggled a bit to perform to first grade standard.

Now look at him. He is the leading hooker in the game, and potentially one of the best players going around in the sport. He would have to be one of the more complete players to have played the game -- defence, attack, passing, kicking etc -- he's got the lot.

Michael Ennis is already playing far better than Buderus did in his first season -- he may not be a Karmichael Hunt or Benji Marshall, but we can only assume he hasn't reached the peak of his abilities. From what I've seen of Ennis so far, I have no reason to doubt he will make a very handy, if not crucial, player for the future.

Latest posts