What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights vs Sharks Post Match Thread

Jono078

Referee
That is great news then.. It means he wont be able to go on the open market.. and he can play for us? :D

Jayell

Juniors
We played pretty well and did enough to win. Fu*k Todd Lowrie and the few other players that continue to let us down at critical moments. Its no longer good enough to say that they are 'improving' or 'developing' into better players.
We need Tighe, Mullen, Abraham and Tolar-but everyone here knows that.
I guess i kind of hope it will be like the soccer, where for some fu*ked up reason Guus picked Kalac instead of Schwarzer, but after fu*king up big time at least we know that Kalac will never again keep for our great team. I'd like to think that Hagan would operate according to the same principles.

Nuffy

Bench
I've never been so gutted.

We had bad luck last season and its well and truly followed us into 06.

Tonight was a complete farce, the Carney no try in the first half was just plain wrong and embarassed all the officials with their incompetence.

Then with the video ref's. the first two were trys because the benefit of the doubt MUST GO TO THE ATTACKING TEAM.

After the Vidiot watched the replay 42 times, he was looking for a reason to NOT award it.

We have been robbed and I'm very concerned at what this will do to the team moving forward.

Refs that come to Newcastle seem to need to show that they are "tough" guys, who won't be influenced by the crowd, consequently they penalise the home team for anything, just to prove their steel.

Its happened against the Cowboys, Saints and now the Sharks.

The Sharks were gifted a win tonight on the back of some of the worse refereeing for the year.

All the fans ask for is consistency. Compare the Creagh pass to Joeys tonignt or the Kimmorley pass prior to Vagana's last try to the disallowed Johns pass.........THEY ARE INDENTICAL. one is called back and one is allowed.............................How is that FAIR.

Not for the first time this year, every 50/50 call went against us, we are due a change of luck, 05's bad luck has followed us into 06.

I encourage every Knights fan to email the NRL, they shouldn't be allowed to get away with this sh*t.

PS, whilst the team tried hard, we still have PL players in FG, plus our team lacks passion, look at their inability to lift consistently, their slumber after 1/2 time and the lack of sting in defence. Lowries howler should consign him to PL and Carmonts good work is killed by his Fups.

We were robbed by we still have some problems.

I hope the Sharks fans enjoyed the dream passage the ref's allowed them tonight and I hope they won't be unhappy when the ref's stiff them in the semis, then they'll understand who much it sucks to be played out of the game by the ref.

Whats Doing

Bench
Have the referrees been coached by the world cup soccer referrees or is their a new rule book.

1. When is a flat pass a forward pass.
2. When is a 2 metre forward pass, play on
3. When is a knock on a 20 metre restart
4. When did the benefit of the doubt go to the defending team.
5. When did a play on advantage after a knock on result in a 20 metre restart to the offending team

Robert Finch - you need to offer an immediate apology to the knights for this inept display by your men.

In regards to the knights, there was a huge improvement and were celarly the better side. Notwisthstanding this, it is the same players who make the same mistakes each week. Carmont with his dropped ball, Lowrie who only needed to put the ball on the line and not 2 metres into the ingoal area and Kidley with his inept attempt to tackle.

It is this lack of concentration by the same players each week that costs the knights every time. When will supercoach realise this.

Jayell said:
We played pretty well and did enough to win. Fu*k Todd Lowrie and the few other players that continue to let us down at critical moments. Its no longer good enough to say that they are 'improving' or 'developing' into better players.
We need Tighe, Mullen, Abraham and Tolar-but everyone here knows that.
I guess i kind of hope it will be like the soccer, where for some fu*ked up reason Guus picked Kalac instead of Schwarzer, but after fu*king up big time at least we know that Kalac will never again keep for our great team. I'd like to think that Hagan would operate according to the same principles.

Steve Rogers sends his regards.

Robert Finch - you need to offer an immediate apology to the knights for this inept display by your men.

You won't get an apology. There's been worse refereeing blunders than that. Every team is on the end of them from time to time.

Ben

Bench
Except that we seem to be on the end of it week after week. Barring the Warriors game where we just played completely crap, the games before again showed that we our performances were hampered by referee injustices.

Doctor

Bench
It was an improved effort from the Knights, don't you worry about that. They came out strong, kept the mistakes to a minimum and hit the Sharks from dummy half. In the end, the mistakes began to show in the second half, the missed tackles blew out and the Sharks proved too good.

Make no mistake, the Sharks are the real deal. They didn't let our momentum catch them off-guard. Usually if a team is getting constant metres from dummy half, you bust the defence right up the middle with some players withdrawing from the ball-carrier because they've been called off-side, or else a handful of players just unable to keep up with the quick play-the-balls. It's interesting, then, that we didn't score any of our tries from line-breaks in the middle of the field... yet the Sharks did.

The positives:
- Johns is looking pretty sharp, and the kicking game is improving.
- Quinn hasn't let his contract signing distract him from finishing this season well, producing probably his best game in the red and blue.
- The metres from dummy-half are good, albeit not quite as effective as
- We're getting several runners involved in hit-ups... there is one option either side of the dummy-half, and on several occasions there were more. I lost count of the times we had two blokes running in the centre of the field, with the rear bloke receiving the ball. Or we would have those two blokes, but the ball would cut them all out, before being flicked inside to a support runner. It works... I hope they plan to continue that because it looks impressive and is something we have missed.
- We were probably unlucky not to win. I think we were the better team in a very close game. It's a credit to the Sharks that they held on and didn't let so many close tries dent their confidence (or leave them out of breath).

Negatives:
- Four disallowed tries... one of which was clearly a no-try (Lowrie), another shouldn't have been a try but shouldn't have been a 20-tap either (Perry) and two which should have been awarded. Quinn's third try looked pretty convincing to me, and the decision to Carney's no try because of an apparent Johns forward pass looked pretty awful to tell you the truth. Had one of these decisions gone our way, we would have won.
- Still sloppy tackling, and too many dropped balls etc. They need to keep working on discipline and try and replicate the first 30 minutes of last night's game where we only had one mistake.
- We desperately need another playmaker to take pressure of Johns. Lowrie is not a 5/8th, but even considering Kurtley's early departure, we need someone else capable of playing there. None of our backs are playmakers, unlike other teams (Berrigan at Broncos, Gasnier and Hornby at Dragons etc). I'm not saying we need to play playmakers in the centres or at fullback, but we do need to cover our options with better alternatives than Lowrie and Simpson moving into the backline.

All in all a good effort, reasonably good performance and tremendous spectcle. The Sharks played well -- all credit to them. Three of the four no-tries could have easily been given (what ever happened to benefit of the doubt to the attacking team), which would have changed the course of the match completely.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I'm not sure if all of what I am about to say has already been said, but I'm going to say it anyway. On the refereeing decisions, you should make up a thread dedicated purely to them. You would have about 100 pages in no time.

a) The "supposed" knock on from Quinn in the fifth minute from the in-goal went at least a metre backwards, yet the Sharks got the 20 metre restart. WTF :?

b) The "supposed" forward pass from Johns to Gidley for Carney's try. Again, WTF :? Flat? Yes. Forward? No.

c) Quinn's "supposed" knock on from the towering Johns kick when we were up 16-14. Knock on? WTF! He did not knock the ball on, if anything if it has to be a try, then Simmons got a hand to the ball, and then Albert came from an off-side position to put pressure on Quinny. If its no-try, then it should have been a penalty for Albert coming from an off-side position.

d) Tanner's again "supposed" knock on from the cross field kick to the posts from Johns was not a try (at worst). I don't have a problem with that. BUT Kimmorley was the one who knocked the ball into Tanner's hands, which I thought constituted a knock-on. Should have been a Knights 10m scrum.

And finally, off the refereeing:
e) Todd Lowrie would you put the f**king ball down as soon as you get over the bloody tryline. Christ, its not that hard.

We did play better than we have in recent weeks, but a combination of these dicey refereeing decisions and our own soft defence especially in the second half sent us to our fourth loss in a row.

BWNB

First Grade
It was a good game , knights played a fast paced game and the start and they were better then the sharks.
The Carney try that was dissaloud looked as if it was the wrong call but the sideline official was in a better possi then us.
Quinns no tries were unlucky but there was doubt if it was seeing if he would of grounded the ball in a pack of players he would of got the benifit of the doubt.
Lowie dropping the ball over the line it just wanst your day conceeding 26 pts in the 2nd isnt good but i see improvment in the knights
Good luck for the rest of the season

Alex28

Coach
How the hell do you watch a replay 12 times and not go with Benefit of the Doubt?

That try and Carney's in the first half gets us a win - no doubt.

We were f***ing jipped...

BWNB

First Grade
Well all of those calls could of been tries , the knights did have a chance to score but the droped it over the line

your team was a tad unlucky but they did have better feild postion but didnt convert

Alex28

Coach
BlaC_WIte_"N"_BlUE said:
Well all of those calls could of been tries , the knights did have a chance to score but the droped it over the line

your team was a tad unlucky but they did have better feild postion but didnt convert
Lowrie was the only one to drop the ball...

If you are going to be smug in an apologetic way at least get your facts straight...

knights9

Juniors
I feel that we were robbed of that game.

It seems like the Video Ref and Touch Judge were against us. Atleast we should of got 2 extra tries Like Quinn and Carney tries. The foward pass before Vaganas try was another thing that the touchie missed.

although me complaining isnt going to change the result.

I was happy with our performance for most of the game. I think we needed Gidley to play the whole game because when he got injured it hurt our attack. Perry and Quinn had a great game and Johns is getting better as each game goes by.

Bring on next week.

Doctor

Bench
knights9 said:
I think we needed Gidley to play the whole game because when he got injured it hurt our attack.

Any time you lose one of your starting halves and put a mediocre second rower in as a replacement, you're always going to have your attack "hurt". It isn't really an issue of losing Gidley as much as losing one of your halves.

bluey

Bench
The only one of them decisions that could have been a try was the forward pass, unlucky but true .
Your forwards played well i just thought that we looked a bit fitter with 10 to go.
Good luck for the rest of the year

bluey said:
The only one of them decisions that could have been a try was the forward pass, unlucky but true .
Your forwards played well i just thought that we looked a bit fitter with 10 to go.
Good luck for the rest of the year

Are you serious, how can u say that the only "doubtful" decision was the carney (irish) try.............

How can u say definitely that

(A) The Perry try was a knock on by us,(not a knock on by "noddy")
(B) The Quinn try was a "definite" knock on by him.( I was always under the impression u only needed a finger nail on the ball to "force" it.)
(C) The last try by vagana was no different to the Quinn disallowed try.

Where the hell is the consistency??????????