What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights work on defence

knights9

Juniors
Knights work on defence

By Peter Badel
January 07, 2007 12:00

0,,5352789,00.jpg

New Knights coach Brian Smith has been focusing on defence this pre-season

THE Knights will overhaul their defensive structure as new coach Brian Smith lays the foundations for an assault on the premiership.
Despite Newcastle clinching a top-four berth last year, only Canberra had a worse defensive record of the eight finalists.
The Knights leaked 606 points at an average of 23 per game and have not forgotten the 50-6 finals drubbing against Brisbane which ended their season.
Renowned for their attacking flair, the Knights, under Smith, have spent the summer fine-tuning their efforts without the ball.
"We've worked hard on our defence,'' Knights halfback Andrew Johns said.
"The way we will defend this season will change.
"You don't have to be Einstein to know it was one area in which we lacked (last season). We can score points easily but our defence would sometimes leak 40.
"Against Brisbane, we were without the best hooker in the world (Danny Buderus) and one of the best back-rowers in Steve Simpson but you shouldn't leak 40 points in a big game.
"It's an area we have to improve on and Brian has changed things.''
Johns has been blown away by his new mentor, who is known as one of the code's sharpest minds.
"Brian is just such a great communicator and educator,'' the former Test halfback said.
"He has explained things in a way that hasn't been heard. I don't want to sound like I'm putting anyone from the past down, but the way he gets his point across is incredible.''
Johns, who is contracted until the end of 2008, says he is in better shape now than at the same stage last year. But he has yet to speak to Smith about possibly playing less minutes in 2007 to preserve his ageing frame. "Last year when we went to a big lead I'd come off, so it's up to Brian,'' Johns said.
"If he rests me during the year or not, we haven't spoken about it, but we've got Jarrod Mullen, who is a great talent. We've also got a halfback called Luke Walsh.''

keeney

First Grade
I don't want to be pessimistic, but we've heard this every year since '01. Hopefully Smith knows how to correct our deficincies, but alot has been promised in the past and not come to fruition.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I know it's been said before, but at least this time we're with a coach who has a history of being able to produce. Hagan fluked a premiership, and has bumbled his way through life since. Smith once turned what many considered an ordinary Parramatta side into an unstoppable force, and worked similar miracles with Illawarra back in the day. Here he has a brilliant junior development area, some of the best players in the world in their position, and fans who won't just disappear in the middle of a losing streak.

A golden era lies ahead.

Farva

Juniors
Yeah, Brian Smith is probably the best coach to never win a premiership....and hopefully he can do it with us.
I think Joey needs someone who is tougher than hages........and i think that, although they may have their differences, it will probably bring out the best in joey...........kind of like Gus in did in Origin.

CJKnight

Juniors
Well our defence was the #1 key area that let us down last season. And now we have a coach in Smith who can make improvements happen. Brian's new methods of training will only help us over the coming seasons.

I also agree with Joey playing less minutes. If we are 20+ ahead with 10 min to go we can pull him off and give the Halfback duties to Mullen and the Goalkicking duties to Abes.

BG

Juniors
CWBush said:
Smith once turned what many considered an ordinary Parramatta side into an unstoppable force, and worked similar miracles with Illawarra back in the day.

... not to mention what he did at St George. Took an even more ordinary bunch of players--at a club which hadn't had a sniff of a semi final for a dozen years--to two consecutive grand finals. And it might easily have been two premierships if not for the fact that it was the pre-salary cap era, and a period where the Brisbane team was more or less the Qld SOO team and a number of classes of playing strength above everyone else in the comp.

antonius

Coach
I reckon Smith is going to be huge plus for some of our young up and comers, and guys like Milton, Perry, and Wooly will get some polish on their game. The young fellas like Walsh, Uate, Dureau, Hinton, Tighe and so on will get a lot from him.

foetus_head

Juniors
Hopefully he will beat Perry with an iron stick, it might make him play to his potential.

I still have that Knights vs Cowboys game from a couple of years back where he had that huge clash with Rauhihi!