What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights worst buy ever

1. Greg Smith
2. Hodko
3. Kirk

With a dishonourable mention for Tariq

LOL Greg Smith wasn't really a buy. He just showed up to reserve grade training. Definitely Tariq, suspended for 9 games in 18 months and even when he played he wanted to play this Adrian.Bubb type role where he just defended and didn't take hitups.

Hodkinson is not playing well but he seems to at least to be putting in some effort.

Whats Doing

Bench
Well we signed the imposter Greg Smith. Shows how inept our recruitment has been over such a long period of time.

newyboy

Juniors
Apart from Harrrigan, and Bedsy, anyone else who played with Andrew John's. he did a lot for the club but the fact he was so good and carried at least 8 players who were reserve grade standard still haunts us today.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Would have to be a struck match between Kirk Reynoldson and Trent Hodkinson. Can anyone think of anyone else?

I vote Hodkinson as he cost us way more, and at least Reynoldson did have some good games towards the end of his career with us.

Kirk also added some style with that beard...

He was Hipster before it was cool

Zoidberg

First Grade
I remember being excited when Hokko was announced, mainly to take some pressure off Mullen. He was so quiet for us early in the year we never really got to see that. Hopefully when Mullo returns we can see both of them share responsibilities and have Mullen's game back to its best.

K-Man

Bench
I think you have to factor in long-term negative impact on the whole team, not just how poor the individual might be. For that means a dud buy who is a halfback on a lucrative 3-year deal is a lot worse than a dud buy who is a backrower and just one cog in the forwards machine.

Reyno was garbage but not in a way that costs you games or prevents the team's growth as a whole. You can have a Reyno or a Tariq and still be looking good.

But Hodkinson is now a major part of a situation we likely can't fix for two more years. if we drop him it's a disaster because we can't afford to have 600K playmakers sitting in reserves. But if we don't drop him we have a halfback with the creativity of a front rower.

We also probably can't fit in another expensive spine player because of what we're spending on him. If we'd gone with a quality younger, cheaper half we'd still be in the market for an upgrade when better halves come on the market, or we could be going all out for a real NRL fullback.

So he's our worst signing imo based on what it does to our squad.

newyboy

Juniors
Who rubber stamped the Hodko deal?

All people involved in his signing should be sacked or resign immediately.

I think I have asked the question before: If I was on a contract at my job to perform certain duties at a certain level commensurate with what I am paid and I did not perform week in week out, I would assume I will be sacked and have no recourse for compo, nor would I.

Obviously that's not the case with players, or should it be?

Knight76

Juniors
Good luck attracting players to the club if we were ripping up contracts half way through a year due to poor form. And who would we sign to replace them when he music has already stopped and everyone any good has their chair?

Caped Crusader

Juniors
This is Hodkos first season playing in a team of inexperienced kids, underperforming senior guys and just out right NSWCup level plodders

Could he be doing more? Of course but its a little early to be judging his Knights career just yet. Especially comparing him to some of the biggest duds weve ever signed

Bensen

Juniors
Apart from Harrrigan, and Bedsy, anyone else who played with Andrew John's. he did a lot for the club but the fact he was so good and carried at least 8 players who were reserve grade standard still haunts us today.

You seriously have to be kidding.
Look at the forwards Johns played behind in his career.
Early days - Harrigan, Butterfield, Sargent, Muir, Crowe. All hardasses with heart.

Later on - Kennedy, Steve Simpson (hardest human ever), ultra reliable Billy Peden and the best dummy half of his era in Bedsy. Even the lesser likes of Glenn Grief, Troy Fletcher and the like would bleed for Joey.

There's probably plenty more I can't think of just now. Then with Robbie o at fullback ... And should we start going through the back line he had.

I actually go against the consensus here that Joey made the team great and believe the team helped make him great.

Taking nothing away from Johns being a deadset champion footballer.

Over and out for another few years

I really thought this was Hokko's chance to shine and really have a crack as a half who wants to run the side. Mullo's absence was his moment and he has not adapted from Des' very structured play.

Joel-22

Juniors
You're wrong again, as usual.

Oh, is that assuming we sign Benji Marshall for 2017 in which case Gagai would be the second worse signing in the club's history? I just thought Gags would still trump Benji for the no. 1 spot seeing as he clearly f**ked your missus

Spot On

Coach
Oh, is that assuming we sign Benji Marshall for 2017 in which case Gagai would be the second worse signing in the club's history? I just thought Gags would still trump Benji for the no. 1 spot seeing as he clearly f**ked your missus

Well he's a good looking rooster that Gags. I reckon 'the missus' would go for a bit of tackling practice with Dane!

Any chance Macavity could post that article re Hodko? If St George are after Hodko, we could finally get Benji if the clubs agree to a player swap!

Latest posts