What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knock-on Effect NSW Cup - Eels Team

JokerEel

Coach
Supports and decoys are two separate stats you can literally see on NRL.com. In fact, comparing the aggregate team level numbers for these two statistical categories gives some decent insight into the different game plans.

We know forced fumbles are a stat category used in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised if the statistics providers tracked this and included it in the feeds they sell to NRL clubs.

But how can you differentiate between a decoy play that sets up a try to a decoy play the does SFA?

Stats are good but don't show the individual for the over arching game they play.

Like a force error how do you see that Brown put back to back to back tackles together than chased to make the opposition make a forced error? What's the difference to that and some merkin making a mandatory tackle and the opposition plodder lets call him T Burgess drops the ball? Both forced errors?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But how can you differentiate between a decoy play that sets up a try to a decoy play the does SFA?
Now you’re just talking about highlights. I watch the game for those, or for other teams I might watch the highlights package.

I don’t see the purpose of separating the decoys that occur on tryscoring plays from the ones that don’t (which is most of them). Decoys is a statistic that is only relevant when compared to other big numbers (decoys per game or per try, for example). An individual statistic has zero context on its own. The fact you would even ask this question explains why you have a problem with statistics.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Like a force error how do you see that Brown put back to back to back tackles together than chased to make the opposition make a forced error? What's the difference to that and some merkin making a mandatory tackle and the opposition plodder lets call him T Burgess drops the ball? Both forced errors?
They are indeed. The point of statistics is to enable comparisons, not provide a narrative. If Dylan Brown plays in a way that forces more errors than others then he will have a higher count of forced errors than most players. The other player you describe will have a lower count. Likewise Drown’s work rate in defence. It is evident from his accumulated tackle count.

JokerEel

Coach
They are indeed. The point of statistics is to enable comparisons, not provide a narrative. If Dylan Brown plays in a way that forces more errors than others then he will have a higher count of forced errors than most players. The other player you describe will have a lower count. Likewise Drown’s work rate in defence. It is evident from his accumulated tackle count.

Thats not what I said Merkin!

JokerEel

Coach
Now you’re just talking about highlights. I watch the game for those, or for other teams I might watch the highlights package.

I don’t see the purpose of separating the decoys that occur on tryscoring plays from the ones that don’t (which is most of them). Decoys is a statistic that is only relevant when compared to other big numbers (decoys per game or per try, for example). An individual statistic has zero context on its own. The fact you would even ask this question explains why you have a problem with statistics.

No I am talking about effort plays Merkin!!!

JokerEel

Coach
I do find it interesting that Ogden & Makatoa are playing in cup as the little Bird fella said with all the injuries.