What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KOE (ex Canterbury Cup) and Jersey Flegg

Dragon David

First Grade
AlecT was very good but geez he cant pass to save his life the ref missed 2 so far forward passes from him..
It beggars belief that guys playing league balls things up when passing and catching which should be key elements in the skills that they would have learnt as a kid. You have an oval football, you have hands, you learn to pass thus and you learn to catch thus and when you pass the ball, pass it backwards and you over there, you catch it. Such a hard thing to do.

There are many times that I see guys running with the ball and they look to pass but change their mind because they fear that they will balls the pass up. They cannot seem to pass the ball longish. All they know is to grab the ball, tuck it in the arms and run. As a kid they surely would have learnt to do more with the ball. I'm talking about the forwards in these cases by the way.

I do get carried away I know. A bit of a habit of mine. Say too much with rubbish to fill the spaces.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
It beggars belief that guys playing league balls things up when passing and catching which should be key elements in the skills that they would have learnt as a kid. You have an oval football, you have hands, you learn to pass thus and you learn to catch thus and when you pass the ball, pass it backwards and you over there, you catch it. Such a hard thing to do.

There are many times that I see guys running with the ball and they look to pass but change their mind because they fear that they will balls the pass up. They cannot seem to pass the ball longish. All they know is to grab the ball, tuck it in the arms and run. As a kid they surely would have learnt to do more with the ball. I'm talking about the forwards in these cases by the way.

I do get carried away I know. A bit of a habit of mine. Say too much with rubbish to fill the spaces.
Disagree re your last comment Dave, love reading your posts

hewi

Bench
Don’t condone what he did but they were robbed

Dragons winger Ravalawa sent off for using slur against referee
Adam Pengilly

By Adam Pengilly

June 8, 2024 — 1.29am

Dragons winger Mikaele Ravalawa has apologised after he was sent off for calling a match official a “c---” in the dying stages of a NSW Cup match on Friday night.
A remorseful Ravalawa will be at the mercy of the NSW Rugby League judiciary after being marched for dissent towards a touch judge after the Eels were controversially awarded the winning try with just two minutes left at WIN Stadium.

https://archive.md/Frryp/again?url=...ng-slur-against-referee-20240608-p5jk8d.html#

Lomax on report for ugly collision

Ravalawa and Dragons teammates protested with the referee the ball had been knocked on following a high kick before Matt Doorey touched down for Parramatta, but their pleas were ignored.
When a sideline official jogged to the in-goal to mark the spot where the try was scored to allow the kicker to line up the conversion, Ravalawa walked towards the touch judge and appeared to abuse him.

Sources speaking on the condition of anonymity given the matter is yet to be finalised with the governing body said Ravalawa swore and used the term “c---” in frustration.
The sideline official calmly walked towards the referee to report the incident, which prompted Ravalawa’s send-off.
Dragons winger Mikaele Ravalawa.

Dragons winger Mikaele Ravalawa.CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES
The Fijian international immediately expressed regret for his comment and visited the match officials after the game.
“I apologised after the game,” Ravalawa said. “It was not professional and I’m sorry.”

The referee will table a report to the NSWRL on Monday which will precede Ravalawa being charged, with the Fijian international facing a lengthy suspension.
The Doorey try handed the Eels a contentious 18-14 win against the high-flying Dragons, who fought back into the contest when Ravalawa scored St George Illawarra’s first try.
The 26-year-old lost his place in Shane Flanagan’s NRL side last week and was playing his second NSW Cup match for the season – an exile from the top grade which is now likely to extend into months.
On his day, Ravalawa is one of the most damaging wingers in the NRL and finished last season as the Dragons’ top try-scorer in the NRL with 21.

But in 10 top grade games this year, Ravalawa had crossed for only three tries as rival teams targeted his defensive frailties.
St George Illawarra’s NRL side surged into the top eight – albeit temporarily – with a massive 56-14 win over the Tigers on Friday night.

rasaint

Juniors
Hi All, Read the report about Rava. He has lost emotional control in what I note was a tight keenly fought match.

Rava is rightly strongly criticised for his apparent foul abuse of the touchie shortly after a very disputed try at the end of the match. He will be punished with some weeks on the sideline.However, some posts are over the top.

Rava has been a fabulous attacking winger scoring some incredible try’s in almost impossible positions. What 50plus NRL try’s for our dragons. Also, some terrific power runs. I also think most of us would agree he seemed to be targeted by judiciary reviews for ‘not wrapping his arms ‘ in some big tackles he made. Yes, a couple fair enough but the last long suspension he received was based on ‘not wrapping arms fast enough’. ( I think against Canberra ). We were disgusted with the suspension. It was reported that the Committee reached their verdict in 5 minutes. He probably felt unfairly treated by officialdom. Anyway, went and apologised immediately in current situation. I am told that Rava is very generous with fans.

Same as Joseph Suuali hit on Reece In SO0. Great ex players like Johnathon Thurston, Nate Miles and Billy Slater have all had their moments of nasty or dangerous play in the heat of battle. Reece lost his footing before the tackle ( the sole of his foot could have advertising) and Joseph‘s ball and all tackle went wrong. OK send off and he accepted responsibility. I saw Burton in a SOO game a few years ago being held by one Qld player and punched repeatedly in the head by another. All forgotten from memory and nothing happened. Even Billy Slater got a dodgy IMO judiciary decision on a shoulder charge on a sharks winger to get in a grand final run for the Storm A few years back.

A long post but maybe a little overall perspective to be applied. Rugby League is a very fast and high stakes game with big $$$ and coverage involved. Sometimes players do or say things in the heat of battle.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
By the looks of it Tamale, Tuitavake and Corics stats were pretty good. Finau's were decent for his first game at centre making 8 tackles and missing 3 - to what I know he's never even had to play centre even in 20s

With a likely suspension for Rav, I am thinking when he comes back we should definitely look at giving him a run in the 2nd row.
Looks like he has fallen down the pecking order now for first grade selection in the short term, so playing him in the back row is worth a shot.
Fifita is also due back from suspension next round.
Just hoping he has learnt his lesson.
There is a top squad spot up for grabs on the bench if he finally reaches his potential.

hook hook

Juniors
With a likely suspension for Rav, I am thinking when he comes back we should definitely look at giving him a run in the 2nd row.
Looks like he has fallen down the pecking order now for first grade selection in the short term, so playing him in the back row is worth a shot.
Fifita is also due back from suspension next round.
There is a top squad spot up for grabs on the bench if he finally reaches his potential.
I don’t know about moving him to the back row we have 3 top notch back rowers in FG. We also have the likes of r. Couchman, Egan, Stanley-traill, Halangahu and tsougranis that would be blocked with an unnecessary experiment. Although I wouldn’t mind him having a go in the middle

Say too much with rubbish to fill the spaces.
Not at all mate. You make good points. Take a gander at forwards decades ago, most had the ability to either offload on foot or in the tackle, actually as they we going to ground. Our Kangaroos in those days were untouchable using this policy of never letting the ball die. They squeezed out every play they could in the six tackles which left defenses totally spent from constant tackling.

:100: Vili does have potential but needs to can this bully boy attitude he has adopted. Not sure if it is due to a lack of confidence or just trying too hard to impress.

Last edited:
Flegg continue to fall down the ladder with another close loss today. The crop of Ball premiers in the 17 must be finding the going tuff at the moment but losing can strengthen you mentally which these boys will need for when they hit the top grade.

TheRev

Coach
The JF side is too strong to be losing these games, rly curious what's happening, maybe missing LKT & Williams is not helping either... hard cause we dont get any coverage of the games.

TheRev

Coach
A very good pass from LKT for one of the trys in KOE. I think he could well be our future no. 6.
That run reminded of what he was doing in SG... its early days but after moving 2 grades up, he is starting to feel a bit more at home.. but still a long way to go.

He was too good for SG though, almost generating a line break at will when he got to run in some space.