What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KOE (ex Canterbury Cup) and Jersey Flegg

TheRev

First Grade
I went to Henson park to watch the game today. After watching closely, I can honestly say that I understand why Flanno never makes changes to the first grade side. Because I did not see any player that looked like they could do any better than the current players in the first grade team.
Yar its plodsville.. a few underachievers and a few who hit the reserve grade ceiling... guys like feagais/glover/ralph/muhleissen/shereb/coric/russell, maybe hfinau included... feels like they r here just to make up the numbers.. and they arent too bad or anything at that level.. solid bodies most of em.... but none are going on to first grade, so they r rly just playing to fill the team.

Tamale had a big game last week, but otherwise dissapointing, SFinau is going 'ok', Fifita is maybe a slow burn.. be keen to see his stats later. AlecT I think is just being kept and replaced with Tonga by end of year.. Couchmans probably the only highlight.. Egan again a slow burn hopefully..

Def keen to see Flegg players move up asap, I dont care about the wins so much as I feel like we are wasting development opportunities on guys who are have no future here and their careers have capped out.. I mean you need a few of those old heads ofcourse.. but we need to be more aggressive with our cup selections imo.

justadragon

Bench
Yar its plodsville.. a few underachievers and a few who hit the reserve grade ceiling... guys like feagais/glover/ralph/muhleissen/shereb/coric/russell, maybe hfinau included... feels like they r here just to make up the numbers.. and they arent too bad or anything at that level.. solid bodies most of em.... but none are going on to first grade, so they r rly just playing to fill the team.

Tamale had a big game last week, but otherwise dissapointing, SFinau is going 'ok', Fifita is maybe a slow burn.. be keen to see his stats later. AlecT I think is just being kept and replaced with Tonga by end of year.. Couchmans probably the only highlight.. Egan again a slow burn hopefully..

Def keen to see Flegg players move up asap, I dont care about the wins so much as I feel like we are wasting development opportunities on guys who are have no future here and their careers have capped out.. I mean you need a few of those old heads ofcourse.. but we need to be more aggressive with our cup selections imo.
I think we should get JD back to coach our lower grades. Same as NRL something goes wrong they hang their heads. Very disappointing with this side. Coric and Sherab are nowhere near where they should be.

TheRev

First Grade
Just saw the highlights of Tamale playing touch footy while trying to tackle the opposition..
Just watched them myself:

o First try we let in.. Mat Feagai gets burnt at ctr which leads to Tamale getting burnt on the Wing, but then Marshke gets beaten all ends up.. followed by Ralph... 4 errors lol.

o I think the late positional change impacted them a little bit, another where Marshke was sprinting to take an aerial bomb, it should have been his... but then SFinau competed with him for it.. and somehow got it.. but then dropped it.. either Marschke completely misjudged the jump... or it was just poor communication.. or both.

Marshke is in a bit of a dud vein of form currently.. hes also been Mr Fix It playing in all 4 of the spine positions, which isnt ideal either.. but I spose thats the nature of reserve grade.

Last edited:

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade

Very spot on with your post.

TheRev

First Grade
I think we should get JD back to coach our lower grades. Same as NRL something goes wrong they hang their heads. Very disappointing with this side. Coric and Sherab are nowhere near where they should be.
I would love to have JD back.. one of my fave memories winning the cup grand final and the interstate title too.

But after being a head coach with all those stars and first graders... its hard to imagine him being happy coaching a bunch of reserve grade coach again.. but its a job.. so maybe.

TheRev

First Grade
Looks like we have moved on a few of players in the last few weeks
Bryce Magnone
Brandon Webster-Mansfield
Phoenix Vetenibua-Finnerty
to Newcastle
that BMW guy made no sense to me, drowning in 2nd rowers.. I dont recognise the others.

Any chance we can grab Armstrong or a Saifiti in return?

Credit to Flano and and the football dept for helping stabilize the pathways and clearly putting stronger systems in place.
Flanagan had nothing to do with this. It was the our Pathways R&R that scouted out players the calibre of Loko Jr , Jake and Latu, also Jesse and TPH. Those players plus a handful of local juniors won us a rare rep premiership. Our Matts Cup teams have again been poor, finishing bottom half of the table, while Flegg remain inconsistent. So where is the depth and stabilization you speak of. This GF win may tho be the start of something special from our Pathways. Will have to wait and see...

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
Coric and Shereb definitely have to go.. Shereb I would have removed 12-18mths ago, I cant believe how little impact he has made (either @ctr or 2nd row) after playing in 2 SG Grandfinals, 1 as captain.. I dont know if ive ever seen him break the line.

Coric has the size/skill... but he should be dominating by now off the bench... I suspect he has mentally given up on a 1st grade career.. especially with Tonga and Latu and Meafou and Hutchinson, plus Stewart, Liu, Webster.. like there is absolutely no spot for him.. and he knows that... even though he has a few years head-start, all be it really unlucky with injury and covid.

Tonga at a minimum I think will be in Cup immediately.. but Stewart probably joins him.. either way a shake up is coming.

Muhleissen is the other one.. does he just need more time? For me its his lack of acceleration and we cant fix that.. Im obviously no expert but when I watch him as a dummy half, there is a window of time when he can take advantage of laziness from the markers, and he sees it but cant get there in time.. anyway so for me he is moved on end of year also, but we need someone to replace him.. he is still providing 1st grade coverage right now also.

The Broncos and Souths games show how quickly 1 bad week can turn your season, 3-4 serious if not season ending injuries.. kaboom.. its very hard to balance that 30+6 man squad.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Coric and Shereb definitely have to go.. Shereb I would have removed 12-18mths ago, I cant believe how little impact he has made (either @ctr or 2nd row) after playing in 2 SG Grandfinals, 1 as captain.. I dont know if ive ever seen him break the line.

Coric has the size/skill... but he should be dominating by now off the bench... I suspect he has mentally given up on a 1st grade career.. especially with Tonga and Latu and Meafou and Hutchinson, plus Stewart, Liu, Webster.. like there is absolutely no spot for him.. and he knows that... even though he has a few years head-start, all be it really unlucky with injury and covid.

Tonga at a minimum I think will be in Cup immediately.. but Stewart probably joins him.. either way a shake up is coming.

Muhleissen is the other one.. does he just need more time? For me its his lack of acceleration and we cant fix that.. Im obviously no expert but when I watch him as a dummy half, there is a window of time when he can take advantage of laziness from the markers, and he sees it but cant get there in time.. anyway so for me he is moved on end of year also, but we need someone to replace him.. he is still providing 1st grade coverage right now also.

The Broncos and Souths games show how quickly 1 bad week can turn your season, 3-4 serious if not season ending injuries.. kaboom.. its very hard to balance that 30+6 man squad.
Muhleisen at best is a tackling machine you can just throw on the field when everyone's fatigued

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Nup hasn't happened

We are stacked with young up and coming forwards, so makes sense to me.
Would be good to pick up one or two players before the signing cut off date who are looking for an opportunity elsewhere.
Our KOE Cup team looks like it needs an injection of enthusiasm at times to me.

Latest posts