What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KOE (ex Canterbury Cup) and Jersey Flegg

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Vs the Warriors

R Couchman was once again the Dragons’ biggest workhorse in the loss with 269 running metres — 114 post-contact — as well as four tackle busts and 37 tackles, five misses.

19-year-old five-eighth Lyhkan King-Togia also had some nice moments with two linebreak assists, 148 running metres and 21 tackles, one miss. Kyng-Togia graduated from the Illawarra Steelers’ SG Ball side earlier this year.

TheRev

First Grade
LKT had a long run where he scored (well he was in touch but there was no bunker to disprove it), that must be where those metres came from. He still has a long way to go though, I dont want people to get too excited.. I'm very interesed to see where he is in 12mths time, but hes still findind his feet in reserve grade.

I know we have previously played him at halfback, but he seems purely a ball-running 5/8.. like purely..so he needs a good halfback and/or hooker too.

TheRev

First Grade
Really gutted to lose that 18-20, ref rly blew every 50/50 for Souths without even a blink.. including calling a forward pass with a few minutes left that was totally fine.. im twice as cranky because he had 2 blokes to pass it too and he picked ward instead of williams who would have floored that last 10m to seal the match.

On top of that Ward kicked 1 from 4 which was the difference in the end.. they werent all hard kicks either.

Some game notes:
o Rumble was ok, he is very slender and seems to find injuries, he has his moments but hes not doing a great job of getting our of his end.. tbf souths were very good at kick chase today.
o Williams still finding his way in flegg.. needs to probably chase the game a bit or they need to use his speed in plays
o Stanley-Traill played in the centres, he went ok but got burnt badly 1 or 2 times, he did score 1 himself and had some strong carries.. hes a year younger and will play SG next year.. so imagine him in 12mths.
o Latu was huge
o NickT was also huge hes rly filling out.. big powerful body.. got sinbinned and gave away some penalties.. the sinbin I thought was rly ordinary.. and certainly the other bloke did something far worse and escaped punishment.. I found it ridiculous hometown stuff.
o TPH I thought was rly good for finding his feet @ 5/8, loved watching him get involved in the pusha nd shove.. if he was a few yards faster he would be dynamite.. definitely not out of place at this level tbh, but I would like to see him at fullback at some point.
o Ward was ok, goalkicking aside..

Noone else rly stood out, Tonga got promoted to cup so that also would have been a big in, but its good hes moving up.

TheRev

First Grade
Moving onto NSW Cup at 3pm, very keen to see 2 things:

1) King-Togia get a crack at fullback (rly keen to see this.. could be a game changer)
2) Pasifika Tonga off the bench for his first reserve grade game

Ryan Couchman is 18th man atm for first grade.. so thats a lot of missing metres... Fifita is starting prop and needs to shape up quickly... Brown is playing 5/8.

Update, ok bunnies TV covering this game also, again though please mute:

Moving onto NSW Cup at 3pm, very keen to see 2 things:

1) King-Togia get a crack at fullback (rly keen to see this.. could be a game changer)
2) Pasifika Tonga off the bench for his first reserve grade game

Ryan Couchman is 18th man atm for first grade.. so thats a lot of missing metres... Fifita is starting prop and needs to shape up quickly... Brown is playing 5/8.

Update, ok bunnies TV covering this game also, again though please mute:
Thanks for the link Rev.

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
King-Togia looks good again.
His defence in two of bunnies tries was pretty average. He defends really strongly when in the frontline so I suspect this was about the first time he has ever played fullback. Positioning an issue.

But... 3 try assists. All on the right which is amazing since he normally dominates on the left. If he can swing both sides and create space the way he does, what a prospect.

TheRev

First Grade
We looked a class above today, or maybe the bunnies were just bad, but there was rly only a couple of moments at the end they scored all their points.. we had them to 0.. cant rly explain why we were so solid given we heaps of players out... I was quite worried but some individual comments:

o LKT had a big game from the back, maybe 3 try assists.. cracking right side passing, Glover > Togia > Buchanan/Roberts.. nothing that Togia plays on the left usually.. as does Buchanan. He did miss a 1on1 tackle or 2, but otherwise a rly good debut.. I think he helps the team more than Tamale did.

o Tonga on his first cup game in ages.. hes bigger than the other forwards.. a bit slower to move still, a bit like a big kid.. when he gets the ball and a head of steam hes a handful.. but very early days.. only had a few runs, did make 1 error trying to play the ball quickly.. does a lot of talking which I find interesting.. and good down the line.

o Fifita not a lot of carries but they were all good ones.. he has pace.

o Stewart is on report twice for what I thought were absolute copybook aggressive tackles.. I thought it was ridiculous.. but nonetheless hes coming along, but again another one that needs 12mths.

o Buchanan was busy, 1 mistake, did a few good things, hes always probing, its harder to break tackles at this level though.. hes a proper centre though.. and we dont have many of them.. Tamale has ended up a winger, and Shereb is rly just filling in.. even Flegg only had 1 centre today..

o Glover/Brown as a halves pairing wasnt bad.. and LKT chiming as a 3rd half..

o Freebairn had some epic runs, barnstorming down the field.. good on him..

o The Souths #3 was an absolute c*** all day, faking injuries, trashtalking, facetapping, looked up who he was.. hes Brandon Mansfield-Webster (BMW) the bloke who was temporarily with us earlier this year..

o Noone else rly stood out.. missing Finau and CTui and 2xCouchmans r big outs, but they did well.. but perhaps not the best of teams to judge.. but I liked our defence right up until the end there.. Cooper Roberts although ive gone off him he did have a big 60m charge to stop a try.. there is definitely a potential winger in him.. its just that we had better option...

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
We looked a class above today, or maybe the bunnies were just bad, but there was rly only a couple of moments at the end they scored all their points.. we had them to 0.. cant rly explain why we were so solid given we heaps of players out... I was quite worried but some individual comments:

o LKT had a big game from the back, maybe 3 try assists.. cracking right side passing, Glover > Togia > Buchanan/Roberts.. nothing that Togia plays on the left usually.. as does Buchanan. He did miss a 1on1 tackle or 2, but otherwise a rly good debut.. I think he helps the team more than Tamale did.

o Tonga on his first cup game in ages.. hes bigger than the other forwards.. a bit slower to move still, a bit like a big kid.. when he gets the ball and a head of steam hes a handful.. but very early days.. only had a few runs, did make 1 error trying to play the ball quickly.. does a lot of talking which I find interesting.. and good down the line.

o Stewart is on report twice for what I thought were absolute copybook aggressive tackles.. I thought it was ridiculous.. but nonetheless hes coming along, but again another one that needs 12mths.

o Buchanan was busy, 1 mistake, did a few good things, hes always probing, its harder to break tackles at this level though.. hes a proper centre though.. and we dont have many of them.. Tamale has ended up a winger, and Shereb is rly just filling in.. even Flegg only had 1 centre today..

o The Souths #3 was an absolute c*** all day, faking injuries, trashtalking, facetapping, looked up who he was.. hes Brandon Mansfield-Webster (BMW) the bloke who was temporarily with us earlier this year..

o Noone else rly stood out.. missing Finau and CTui and 2xCouchmans r big outs, but they did well.. but perhaps not the best of teams to judge.. but I liked our defence right up until the end there.. Cooper Roberts although ive gone off him he did have a big 60m charge to stop a try.. there is definitely a potential winger in him.. its just that we had better option...
Great post Rev. Good on you for watching the whole game. Re Pasifiki Tonga, wdym by he does a lot of talking? As in trash talking or communicating with his teammates?

Also good to see a shit talking centre get shown up hahahaha. No clue who BMW is but it reminds me of when Will Chambers used to grub it up just to lose

TheRev

First Grade
Re Pasifiki Tonga, wdym by he does a lot of talking? As in trash talking or communicating with his teammates?
Oh I meant in a positive way, I think he was doing it in U19 origin also, hes very tall he stands there and sends a rallying cry over the top of the troops..... I mean I dont know if its his natural personality coming out... hopefully.

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors

Tonga will also benefit from a hooker that plays at/over the advantage. He was caught by the marker shooting for his legs on a couple of occasions.

He needs a hooker that draws and isolates defenders. Mulheisen passes almost exclusively from the ground without moving which puts all the onus on the runners to get over the advantage line.

Latest posts