What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Korbin Sims

monsterkev

Juniors
I can't imagine too many people would enjoy being called a haemorrhoid either.

Ps. For those playing at home, that's actually how it is is splet, if you're considering insulting anyone from behind a keyboard that is.
good spelling splet maybe you can back old mate up from behind the keyboard
honestly if you are going to insult someones spelling get it right yourself
it is spelt how it is pronounced
maybe you should read the other posts carefully before getting involved
i will repeat what it is over just in case
i said i think jacob host is average at this stage as are some of the other players and they all need to pull their finger out in 2017 or do we just want a team of average players
thats not bagging him as i also said i hope he does come good and he lives up to all the hype about him but at the moment i just dont see what the fuss is about there are other juniors coming through which i am more excited about
so if you want to get on the bandwagon and give me shit go for it
there has been a couple of other comments similar which have not recieved the f**king crap i have
ps.i would rather be face to face with you than doing this from a keyboard i dont need to hide behind it as you suggest

Dragsters

First Grade
I hesitantly think he'd be ok so long as it did not impact on our ability to attract a good half next year if no one steps up. He is a local and it's always nice for brothers to play fg together, and with Frizzell continuing to have lower back spasms, and Masoe having further complications with his knee it may be a wise move, those types of injuries are can be hard to overcome..not taking anything away from frizzells achievements this year he has been inspirational...but I feel lower disc problems are very temperamental

Sound and reasoned case you make belta.

Dragsters

First Grade
good spelling splet maybe you can back old mate up from behind the keyboard
honestly if you are going to insult someones spelling get it right yourself
it is spelt how it is pronounced
maybe you should read the other posts carefully before getting involved
i will repeat what it is over just in case
i said i think jacob host is average at this stage as are some of the other players and they all need to pull their finger out in 2017 or do we just want a team of average players
thats not bagging him as i also said i hope he does come good and he lives up to all the hype about him but at the moment i just dont see what the fuss is about there are other juniors coming through which i am more excited about
so if you want to get on the bandwagon and give me shit go for it
there has been a couple of other comments similar which have not recieved the f**king crap i have
ps.i would rather be face to face with you than doing this from a keyboard i dont need to hide behind it as you suggest

Just to be clear, not insulting, just clarifying that that is how it is indeed splet, in English of course.

Over and out.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
You should watch money ball then

This true story movie shows you can have a competive team on a lower budget by using player statistics

Yes heart needs to be had & teams can't just win premierships on this alone but statistics are a major contributing factor to succeeding in any sport

Ask the Oakland Athletics

Great sports purist movie

Saw it and it proves my point. The success in moneyball was more than just the computer finding some players who underperformed in other teams - they also actually made trouble with the curve to highlight how a few stats in a youngster don't make someone great nor can stats find an unknown star. The whole point of moneyball was that stats can have a place in sport which nobody here is arguing - but they are only one small piece of a jigsaw and not on there own relevant - I just can't believe people criticize young new players with different stats - imagine arty beetson playing for good stats.

hermidale1

Juniors
I think this is an average argument now.
Saw it and it proves my point. The success in moneyball was more than just the computer finding some players who underperformed in other teams - they also actually made trouble with the curve to highlight how a few stats in a youngster don't make someone great nor can stats find an unknown star. The whole point of moneyball was that stats can have a place in sport which nobody here is arguing - but they are only one small piece of a jigsaw and not on there own relevant - I just can't believe people criticize young new players with different stats - imagine arty beetson playing for good stats.
I think I might have been mis understood with my post comparing the two young blokes.
I was trying to say that if you looked at the 2 stats only, you would think that one was better. But I rate both players as they are two different styles that work well together and have for years. They will both develop together and along with all the other young players we have, Dufty, Sele, Feild, Robson, etc , the club is in a better situation for the future.

monsterkev

Juniors
I dont care much for stats either i would rather judge on face value
If a player is playing well thats all that matters
Maybe my expectations are to high but should we accept anything less
These are professional sportsmen being paid very well

KiamaSaint

Coach
I dont care much for stats either i would rather judge on face value
If a player is playing well thats all that matters
Maybe my expectations are to high but should we accept anything less
These are professional sportsmen being paid very well
I am all for cutting dead wood, but you can't cut every 20 year old forward that isn't lighting up first grade.

monsterkev

Juniors
I am all for cutting dead wood, but you can't cut every 20 year old forward that isn't lighting up first grade.
i'm not suggesting we cut the juniors coming through as they are going to be back and fourth from cutters to 1st grade anyway not all of them will get a run every week, if mcgregor coaches the same way he did last season they may not get a fair go
if i look at dead wood i would suggest widdop (he was dead wood in 2016) and reluctantly nightingale by seasons end, he's been a good servant but it may be time to let a junior take his position and there are others that should be let go then we might get the right balance of decent experienced players and juniors

Como Connection

First Grade
Back on the subject.
At the SCG today a fellow Dragon supporter from Newcastle who I had never meet before, tells me the local paper up there, keeps reporting a straight swap JDB and Sims.
CC

Belta

Juniors
Yeah as mentioned earlier both r same same and therefore if it did happen you'd have to think both players must be unhappy at their current clubs as there doesn't seem any clear benefit to either club...both were considered possible soo players not so long ago and they still may develop but I can't really say which would be better in our current roster, it's suggested jdb's defense will be missed...I'm not so sure, don't think it will be a game changer either way

Old Timer

Coach
Yeah as mentioned earlier both r same same and therefore if it did happen you'd have to think both players must be unhappy at their current clubs as there doesn't seem any clear benefit to either club...both were considered possible soo players not so long ago and they still may develop but I can't really say which would be better in our current roster, it's suggested jdb's defense will be missed...I'm not so sure, don't think it will be a game changer either way
One thing that is different is the mongrel and intimidation levels.
De Belin is a work horse and Sims is not and is actually a bit lazy.
Sims can intimidate and do some real "tough" stuff but De Belin does not.
I would still think De Belin is in front as a player at this time as Sims goes missing.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
The Australian Cricket Selectors have recognised some new
talent and the NRL Dragons should do the same and give some of the young blokes a go.
In 2016 10 wins in 24
matches is an abysmal record.

Carlton

Juniors
One thing that is different is the mongrel and intimidation levels.
De Belin is a work horse and Sims is not and is actually a bit lazy.
Sims can intimidate and do some real "tough" stuff but De Belin does not.
I would still think De Belin is in front as a player at this time as Sims goes missing.

I sort of agree, De Belin does make a lot of tackles, but I think the issue with De Belin is two fold, many of his tackles are not dominant/effective he is just there, he needs to toughen up his attack and stop being a halfback.

Re: Simms I agree, he has intimidation but needs to do more work. I would be willing to take the gamble provided we don't give him three years. The reason for this is I don't think De Belin will rise above where he is at, if Simms falls short then we look for a replacement.

monsterkev

Juniors
I sort of agree, De Belin does make a lot of tackles, but I think the issue with De Belin is two fold, many of his tackles are not dominant/effective he is just there, he needs to toughen up his attack and stop being a halfback.

Re: Simms I agree, he has intimidation but needs to do more work. I would be willing to take the gamble provided we don't give him three years. The reason for this is I don't think De Belin will rise above where he is at, if Simms falls short then we look for a replacement.
Sims had a good work rate when he was on the field for long periods he is an 80 minute player however a lot of newcastle games he did not get a lot of game time even though he played around 22 games maybe due to injuries or whatever but his ability to findcthe try line is probably streets ahead of most of our forwards
In a side that ran last i think he scored more tries than any of our forwards
In a better team he should do very well
I dont mind if they sign him and let marketo and mathews go

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Sims had a good work rate when he was on the field for long periods he is an 80 minute player however a lot of newcastle games he did not get a lot of game time even though he played around 22 games maybe due to injuries or whatever but his ability to findcthe try line is probably streets ahead of most of our forwards
In a side that ran last i think he scored more tries than any of our forwards
In a better team he should do very well
I dont mind if they sign him and let marketo and mathews go

Just had a look at the total footy stats website comparing Newcastle to StGI. Its depressing. Knights scored 52 tries, we scored 58. We werent much better than the wooden spooners. Korbin scored 3 of the 52, as you say he knows his way to the try line.

Got to be careful quoting stats here though. People will claim they dont show the tries he bombed, or the degree of difficulty, or the quality of defence, or the length of the field he scored them on.

monsterkev

Juniors
I
Just had a look at the total footy stats website comparing Newcastle to StGI. Its depressing. Knights scored 52 tries, we scored 58. We werent much better than the wooden spooners. Korbin scored 3 of the 52, as you say he knows his way to the try line.

Got to be careful quoting stats here though. People will claim they dont show the tries he bombed, or the degree of difficulty, or the quality of defence, or the length of the field he scored them on.

I didn't quote stats as i dont want to be incorrect on the numbers but the same could be said for every single player
Show tries bombed,degree of difficulty etc as every player would have these extra stats against them
We would have an endless amount of stats it would be ridiculous
You cant single out one player
For these extra stats you require

monsterkev

Juniors

But it is depressing that we only just beat them on tries scored

Old Timer

Coach
One thing is for sure if something doesn't change re players selected and the positions they play, use of the bench, attacking strategies to be employed then we will score even less tries this year and that will be even more depressing.
Anyone subscribing to the theory that the same players, in the same positions will deliver a different result has rocks in their head.
Talk of Marketo or Matthews being of use for anything other than replacements, if the rest of the forward pack contracts mumps is just suicidal.
Time for change and plenty of it both on and off the field.

BennyV

Referee
One thing is for sure if something doesn't change re players selected and the positions they play, use of the bench, attacking strategies to be employed then we will score even less tries this year and that will be even more depressing.
Anyone subscribing to the theory that the same players, in the same positions will deliver a different result has rocks in their head.
Talk of Marketo or Matthews being of use for anything other than replacements, if the rest of the forward pack contracts mumps is just suicidal.
Time for change and plenty of it both on and off the field.
If you think that there is any chance we will improve on last year at this point, I'm afraid your in for a tough year OT...

If you think that there is any chance we will improve on last year at this point, I'm afraid your in for a tough year OT...

We live in hope BennyV !

We actually have most parts of the puzzle

Need a 7

If Nona or Mann surprise us, we will finish above the bottom 4

Problem will be if Mary is sacked within first 6-8 weeks

We do not want to be lumbered with another rookie coach

Club needs to break this vicious cycle

Need an experienced well regarded coach to attract a few quality players to finish off the puzzle