What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Korbin Sims

BrissyRedV

Bench
yes i have a reference for these stats and i did take into account all minutes played as i think he was listed in the team sheet in 2 games but did not actually play or was not picked in final squad so these are not included
all stats were rounded down for every player so if it was 9.3m per hitup it was rounded down for all players
Well, where is it? I am curious to see where you get your stats from. As with anything, they can be interpreted in different ways and manipulated.

giboz71

First Grade
yes i have a reference for these stats and i did take into account all minutes played as i think he was listed in the team sheet in 2 games but did not actually play or was not picked in final squad so these are not included
all stats were rounded down for every player so if it was 9.3m per hitup it was rounded down for all players

Yes see how he goes then make a judgement
All im saying is he has not impressed me to date
But there are other players in the team that also need to pull their finger out
I hope he does come good as i said before
So me saying this has upset some people then so be it

Agreed.

I'd be getting rid of Marketo, Matthews and even Ah Mau before even considering getting rid of Host. Especially for a guy like Korbin Sims who has been in FG for 3 years achieving nothing of note except for a few non descript games for Fiji.

monsterkev

Juniors
Basing things on what 8 games by a 20 year old.

If its an opinion why do people need to attach facts as you put it.
Anyway i have attached some facts albeit not enough for some
But i still dont know why i should have to or anyone else
I think the forum has taken a direction that lacks decorum and the spirit of what it is supposed to be about is gone
We are all fans and should be entitled to have a say without prejudice
Its not like this forum can change the world it is there so people can communicate

monsterkev

Juniors
Agreed.

I'd be getting rid of Marketo, Matthews and even Ah Mau before even considering getting rid of Host. Especially for a guy like Korbin Sims who has been in FG for 3 years achieving nothing of note except for a few non descript games for Fiji.
Plus widdop,glymin
Well, where is it? I am curious to see where you get your stats from. As with anything, they can be interpreted in different ways and manipulated.
Go to my last reply brissy red v and read it then go looking for yourself
Am i your personal encyclopaedia

BrissyRedV

Bench
These are 100% accurate facts your now just being a dick
Nope, it is you that is being a dick. A pretty simple request for a reference/link for some statistics that you have presented and you are making a big deal over it and getting on the defensive which hardly speaks for their credibility. I am hardly asking for the source of a rumour or such. For the record, every time I have presented statistics, I have referenced them but all you can come up with is "trust me" and "100% facts" with nothing thus far to back them up. You're entitled to your opinion and I couldn't give 2 shits whether you rate Host or not, but I am interested in the source of your stats being presented as fact.

monsterkev

Juniors
mosterkev, I don't think it's what you say that is upsetting people. It's a forum and your opinion is equal in value to everyone else... it's more he way you are saying it.
If you talk about decorum and spirit, then surely you would agree that facts and figures should be accompanied by a link or reference?
I am far from perfect it does not matter if you try to be nice you still get attacked and now youraskung for a link or reference
I have quoted the figures in response to another member and thatvshould be the end of it
But if you want to carry on about it just keep responding
As i personally have had a gut full of the subject and i am trying to be as nice as possible
I have said my piece backed it up with facts but now it ends
Thankyou

goggles

Juniors
Personally I couldn't care less about your figures, I can decide whether someone is a good young footballer, with ability, by watching him play. Conversely, I fully respect your right and your decision to base your judgement on facts... we're all different and that's entirely your prerogative!
However, if you are going to supply 'facts and figures' as a base for your argument, then they really need to be open to verification by those you are debating with. This is done by providing a link or reference. It is pretty straight forward and not hard to do...
Don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking you, merely attending to the 'decorum and spirit' that you brought up earlier. I'll wish you a happy new year and leave it at that.

emu62

Juniors
Re- Host, In his 8 games to date,Host has shown he is not out of place in first grade.He has done all the little things right.I have seen nothing to suggest he will be a superstar at this stage but age is on his side and with natural improvement & the right coaching i believe he has a good future.Alas,The worry is recently seems to be a few players who don't reach their full potential at the dragons
Sorry to the people who wish me to back up my opinion with facts, figures,stats.........etc.
Don't have any

emu62

Juniors
Not sure why so many forum members place so much value on player stats. Sure they have their place but i believe they are a guide only & i will give a example.
Player A - av 40 tackles a game
Player B - av 20 tackles a game
Who is the more valuable player?
Naturally A seems to be the answer but the stats dont show that Player A might have been generally been 2nd or third man in & finished off the tackle.Whilst player B might have generally been first man in & stopped the ball carrier dead in his tracks.Both IMO valuable
Similar examples can be given for hit ups, try assists.....etc
I believe all this emphasis on stats is ruining the game to a degree.Some players seem more interested in boosting their stats than doing whats better for the team
McWrecker's press conferences after a loss also don't help. I am sick of him pulling out all these F##ken stats why we lost. When at the end of the day we played like shit & didn't deserve to win

Gareth67

First Grade
Not sure why so many forum members place so much value on player stats. Sure they have their place but i believe they are a guide only & i will give a example.
Naturally A seems to be the answer but the stats dont show that Player A might have been generally been 2nd or third man in & finished off the tackle.Whilst player B might have generally been first man in & stopped the ball carrier dead in his tracks.Both IMO valuable
I believe all this emphasis on stats is ruining the game to a degree.Some players seem more interested in boosting their stats than doing whats better for the team
McWrecker's press conferences after a loss also don't help. I am sick of him pulling out all these F##ken stats why we lost. When at the end of the day we played like shit & didn't deserve to win

Stats , stats , fooking stats ! I blame it all on Brian Smith , as well meaning as the man was , he and his fooking stats has made our great game into a hybrid of American Grid-Iron . Yuk !

Hell , you only need to look at today's footy field and see all those bluudy lines on the ground.
It's enough to confuse the shat out of an old berstard like me !

Now that I have got that of my chest , may I wish everybody a Happy New Year !

Last edited:

monsterkev

Juniors
Personally I couldn't care less about your figures, I can decide whether someone is a good young footballer, with ability, by watching him play. Conversely, I fully respect your right and your decision to base your judgement on facts... we're all different and that's entirely your prerogative!
However, if you are going to supply 'facts and figures' as a base for your argument, then they really need to be open to verification by those you are debating with. This is done by providing a link or reference. It is pretty straight forward and not hard to do...
Don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking you, merely attending to the 'decorum and spirit' that you brought up earlier. I'll wish you a happy new year and leave it at that.

monsterkev

Juniors
Like i said goggles im over it stop the replies
I dont need to keep explaining myself
If you want verification theres something called google or is that to hard and by the way itbis a personal attack cause you keep going on and on when i said enough
So just go away

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
People should go watch Clint Eastwood in "trouble with the curve",

It shows how stats and computers are very limited in judging talent. Use your eyes.

Those of us around long enough know a great prop row forward takes years to polish. Host can be a very good prop forward, if given the right development and coaching and time to mature.

It shows how stats and computers are very limited in judging talent. Use your eyes.

Those of us around long enough know a great prop row forward takes years to polish. Host can be a very good prop forward, if given the right development and coaching and time to mature.
You should watch money ball then

This true story movie shows you can have a competive team on a lower budget by using player statistics

Yes heart needs to be had & teams can't just win premierships on this alone but statistics are a major contributing factor to succeeding in any sport

Ask the Oakland Athletics

Great sports purist movie

BrissyRedV

Bench

Stats aren't the be all and end all and there are some failings to purely focussing on them as to a players talent, but you should have a look at NRL Fantasy. The players who consistently score well both in points per minute and total points per game in NRL fantasy also tend to be NRL elite players including Smith, Thurston, Parker etc. There are a few exceptions like Rein who tends to score well, but for the majority, the cream tends to rise to the top.

I also think in the long run, Host will be an edge player and not a prop. He was very destructive both in NYC and with the Cutters playing in the backrow and when he gets his chance in first grade there, he will shine.

rasaint

Juniors
I think stats are a help but not the only factor in judging a player. So I'm middle of the road.

I don't agree with the degree of criticism of Leeson Ah Mau. He was a little down 2016 but still averaged nearly 100 metres per game ( almost like Russell Packer) and is durable and tackles well. I don't think is gets big $$$. Has been one of our best in the recent disappointing seasons. Yet some opinion wants to offload him for Korbin Simms etc. Mose will probably struggle with a dodgy knee this year so don't think he will be that influential. Plus never a world beater anyway.

I do have a lot of optimism this year.