What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kurt Mann @ 5/8

Ted bartolo

Juniors
I agree with everything that you say here but I'm just not sold on Field. He doesn't seem tough enough to play first grade. His defense is weak and he doesn't look to have the smarts. Super fast and great to watch when he hits space but I think thats where it ends.
Hope I'm proven to be wrong.
I have seen superstar reserve graders not handle first grade.And I have seen average reserve graders become very good first graders.McGregor biggest fault In my opinion is he show no faith in the younger players leaving them on the bench till 75 minute.and basically showing no confidence in them.If he really wanted the best for the dragons if players aren't performing the younger players should be given a chance

Last edited:

redVbull

Juniors
I think 5/8 role requires a bit more skill and nous than that of a utility centre or wing.

This might come as news to McGregor.

We have one of the top 5 halves in NRL and to expect him to effectively execute his role while paired with a novice 5/8, in a critical match is pure fantasy.

We have a dedicated, trained and very good reserve 5/8 for just this situation.

Not picking Field is truly coaching by hope over reality.

Como Connection

First Grade
I’m happy to see him get a run at 5/8, he’s certainly the best backup for Widdop we’ve got. As others have mentioned if he can straighten the attack and also get early ball to Lafai then he’ll be an asset and potentially at least as useful as Widdop was in his pre-injury form (not at or near his best, then Widdop is plenty better than Mann).
And playing Field would be courting disaster, but after the full blown catastrophe of last week anything looks good. Out of a mix of curiosity and desperation I wouldn’t mind seeing him get a run in first grade. But trying to get 80 minutes out of him would likely be a bad move.
Up until the complete dog shit of last week when Hunt ran once for 3 metres, he’d actually been running a lot more - vs roosters and warriors he took more runs and made more metres than most of the forwards. So hopefully he takes that sort of approach again.
I think Mann at 5/8 is a mistake and as has been mentioned, there only as an excuse after the lose. Field would be a better option to at least try. I have no faith in Mann’s ability or hands. At 5/8 he will follow the lead and unless Hunt snaps back into form will be as useless as he has been every other time he has come on.

Sorry, just not a fan at all. We need to see some of our juniors in first grade to at least gauge how they are going to go in the top grade.

How good has Perreira supposed to be until he hit the first grade. Has not really set the game on fire yet. Without seeing these younger guys running around with more than a few minutes here or there, we are never going to know until they go elsewhere and become superstars under a real coach who knows how to coach.

Trouble is we have a coach who wants to play 13 players for a full season without a break and wonders why his team is fading
OK, this footballer has been destroyed by the idiot running the show.
I really hope one day he is given a chance to prove now good he is.
Goodnight all
CC

The Damo

Juniors
OK, this footballer has been destroyed by the idiot running the show.
I really hope one day he is given a chance to prove now good he is.
Goodnight all
CC
Hey CC, I like Mann, he’s a good footballer. Should’ve been staring on the wing most or all of the year. But we’ll have to disagree that he’d be a better 5/8 than Widdop.

dannyt

Coach
I have seen superstar reserve graders not handle first grade.And I have seen average reserve graders become very good first graders.McGregor biggest fault In my opinion is he show no faith in the younger players leaving them on the bench till 75 minute.and basically showing no confidence in them.If he really wanted the best for the dragons if players aren't performing the younger players should be given a chance
Big call. It's not necessarily his biggest fault, but certainly one of his many faults.

Dragons 09

Juniors
Like Como, i'm a huge Mann fan, but there's no arguing he is a polarising figure. There's as many Mann threads on here and JA as there is about any of our players and there seems to be clear divide between those who think he has massive untapped potential and those who think he is a park footballer at best.

Won't be easy to come straight in and play 80 minutes in the halves and be responsible for orchestrating set plays and setting up back line movements after most of the season he has been conditioned for 20 minute stints per game to throw himself in front of rampaging forwards. There was an article this week where he stated he hasn't really trained in the halves since the pre-season..........that is master coaching at it's best right there!

Hope he has an absolute blinder and we get to see glimpses of his true potential, but will be just as happy to see him make his tackles and deliver clean ball and take the line on when the opportunity presents itself. We have a million dollar man who needs to be the one to take ownership of the team and Kurt just needs to play a solid support role. No doubt, regardless of how he plays, there will be those who will somehow find a way to hold him responsible for any shortfalls in our performance.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
View attachment 22486

9 out of 10 men that have tried camel, prefer women
2me8knr.png

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
<insert artistic wanker voice> "it reflects the negative space of our drought of wins lately"

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Muzby is very good at editing and creating photos and graphics.

Hey @muzby- why don't you do another series similar to "price the clown", but mary as the lead.

Plenty of material.
oh it's tempting..

not sure anything can beat the chinless clown though..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
How about "mary the bald camel"?

That picture you posted can be the character.
that's got some merit..

so long in the desert without reward..

if there's no reward against the tigers he may very well appear..

dannyt

Coach
that's got some merit..

so long in the desert without reward..

if there's no reward against the tigers he may very well appear..
So:

Why I would wish for a Dragon's win:
  • I always prefer my team winning rather than losing
Why I would prefer a Dragon's loss:
  • Closer to getting a proper coach
  • @muzby starts up his comics

F@#$ you muzby- now I'm all conflicted.

Latest posts