What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kurt Mann for 2 or 3 years

possm

Coach
If we blame the coaching staff for not making McDonald better, can we credit them with getting guys like Vaughan and Mccinnes performing? Along with say Widdop and making Dugan and Frizz representative players?

On this forum you can give your opinion and if you wish credit the coaching staff for all the things that go well and excuse them for all the things that go poorly. However, there is no substitute for the fact that the entire coaching staff are not up to NRL standard. They seem to be immune to accountability as do most of those in any senior position at the Dragons.

Pleased with this signing.

But no platitudes for our useless director of pathways. It's still is a mess, unless you're happy to finish mid table or below, year after year.

Objective View

possm

Coach
he must be starting fullback next year, fb problem solved. give field & dufty another year in cup against men. ITS NOT A MESS

I'd say that most of our players are performing to the best of their ability and beyond expectations DESPITE the mess. Example look at Benji now under Bennett as apposed to when he was under our coaching staff. Always has been a 6, playing on the right side of the field. Dropped to reserve grade early to re-focus on his job rather than at the end of his contract when all the damage had already been done. Bennett seems to have the knack of knowing how to getting the best out of players. I'm sure from a distance he could see where we were going wrong and so found a way to improve Benji's game.

The Damo

Juniors
Pleased with this signing.

But no platitudes for our useless director of pathways. It's still is a mess, unless you're happy to finish mid table or below, year after year.

Objective View
I can feel the warm glow of your pleasure through the intertoobs OV. It's like the sun coming out after a Game of Thrones style winter. It's a sign of better days ahead. Are you actually smiling? Just the thought makes me smile.

possm

Coach
Seriously though possum- give it a rest mate or come up with some new material. It really is getting f**king old the mess shit. We are better placed than ever.

The material is sticking because it is so close to the truth that it rubs against the grain for the apologists on here. I'm sure Club management take absolutely no notice of anything said on this forum so all is purely for the entertainment of members and fans. I suppose maybe some subjects are picked up by lazy media but on the whole it just is an opinion and liked or disliked by readers.

blacksafake

First Grade
I'd say that most of our players are performing to the best of their ability and beyond expectations DESPITE the mess. Example look at Benji now under Bennett as apposed to when he was under our coaching staff. Always has been a 6, playing on the right side of the field. Dropped to reserve grade early to re-focus on his job rather than at the end of his contract when all the damage had already been done. Bennett seems to have the knack of knowing how to getting the best out of players. I'm sure from a distance he could see where we were going wrong and so found a way to improve Benji's game.
Well the 1st thing he did say when signing him was he is not a 1/2.

Dragsters

First Grade
Being picked at 7 today, is a good sign that negotiations must be heading in the right direction, one would think...

Mann at 7 doesn't mean much at all really.

McCrone has been shit and gets dropped but still in the 17 for now.

If Hutchison wasn't injured he would have been 7 McCrone probably on the bench and Mann playing for Illawarra.

Unless, days after being named at 7, it's announced that he re-signs for 2 years that is hey mate?

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Mick , either stop listening to unsubstantiated rumors from people you don't even know or change your name to scoop or lurker.
Settle down, mate. Was just repeating what I heard, not stating fact. It was from a few weeks ago when maybe he was feeling like he wanted out and maybe saints upped the ante, who knows?
Glad that he has re-signed as he's been stuffed around most the season and still performed well.
It's been a great week for him with the 7 jumper also.
My info was from Jake Marketo's brother so couldn't of been far from the truth but

Alec's-saints

Juniors
The material is sticking because it is so close to the truth that it rubs against the grain for the apologists on here. I'm sure Club management take absolutely no notice of anything said on this forum so all is purely for the entertainment of members and fans. I suppose maybe some subjects are picked up by lazy media but on the whole it just is an opinion and liked or disliked by readers.
benji played a few good games with us also. then turned to sh*t

Alec's-saints

Juniors
benji played a few good games with us also. thenturned to sh*t

getsmarty

Immortal
Mann re-signs with the Dragons
Thu 29th June, 06:26AM
A A

St George Illawarra have announced that utility Kurt Mann has re-signed with the Dragons for a further two seasons.

Mann will now remain at the Dragons until at least the end of the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

The 24-year-old is halfway through his second season at the Dragons and was the Dragons' top try scorer in 2016.

“I’m going to be here for a couple more years now and I’m really looking forward to it,” Mann said. “It’s a good opportunity for me, I really enjoy living in Wollongong, we have a great bunch of boys here and I am excited about the future.”

Mann, who recently played his 50th NRL game, indicated that he was pleased to have his future finalised.

“It’s always good to get it out of the way, it is one less thing to worry about,” added Mann. “Now, I can just worry about my form”.

Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward said Mann's versatility was a major plus for the Red V, though he envisioned he'd challenge for the vacant fullback spot in 2018.

"What we've really noticed about Kurt is his ability to play numerous positions and he'll have an opportunity to challenge for the fullback role next year as we aren't going externally to replace that position," Millward said.

"We believe with his age that his next two years will be some of his stronger years, not only developing his skill set but physically too. He's an important signing for our squad moving forward."

Mann joins the likes of skipper Gareth Widdop, Tyson Frizell, Euan Aitken, Jack de Belin, Paul Vaughan, Tim Lafai, Jai Field, Jacob Host, Blake Lawrie, Luciano Leilua and Reece Robson to have extended their stay at the Dragons this season.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/06/29/mann_re_signs_with_t.html

Old Timer

Coach
Very good news and hopefully we will learn to use him in the correct way and not just keep thinking he is just a utility player.
He can easily hold down a regular position centre, wing , FB and if injury means we need to move him then we do so rather than keeping him up our sleeve on the bench.
One interesting point was that Millward did say the next 3 years will see the best of Kurt and I note we have signed him for 2 so hopefully there is an option in our favour in the contract.

Draginzaaar

Bench
Very good news and hopefully we will learn to use him in the correct way and not just keep thinking he is just a utility player.
He can easily hold down a regular position centre, wing , FB and if injury means we need to move him then we do so rather than keeping him up our sleeve on the bench.
One interesting point was that Millward did say the next 3 years will see the best of Kurt and I note we have signed him for 2 so hopefully there is an option in our favour in the contract.

It says 2 years

Dannyboy80

Juniors
I'd hope the coaches might have mentioned his days as a utility, for this season at least, could be over, there is no real depth in the 7 jumper this year and he is one good performance away from keeping it for a few more games at least- if he can make a decent fist of it tomorrow night. And fingers and toes crossed he does!

giboz71

First Grade
Seriously though possum- give it a rest mate or come up with some new material. It really is getting f**king old the mess shit. We are better placed than ever.

Having Field, Dufty and Mann fight it out for the FB spot can only be a good thing. They are all good players who if developed correctly, will do well for us. We have close to 9 months to work it out.

From a cap perspective, none will put a massive dent on our cap for the next year or so, and we are saving 750k plus by not retaining Duges so we can use this elsewhere on a Prop or a winger.

Good result for us IMO.